Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*this is from my nano. But it will be transferred eventually to the 58*

I'm really surprised. This coral use to be all purple (it's a goniapora). Then it appeared to be totally bleached due to me raising the alk. Then it got covered completely in cyano and I left it since I figured it was dead. This is all in the nano and after setting the 58 up I removed the lights and unplugged the heater for at least a week. Only thing running was 1 pump. Then I put a single T8 actinic bulb on the tank. And to my amazement some tiny arms are slowly coming out. Dang!!! These are suppose to be hard to keep too lol

IMG_0302.JPG

P.s. This is basically the only coral my wife picked out too so it's nice to have it come back from the dead.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First California heat wave for the summer. 107F today and 109F tomorrow. The AC is stuck at 85F (same with my parents house).

IMG_2120.JPG

Looks like the chiller is already doing its job (I bought it used and never tested it).
IMG_2122.JPG

I'll probably go buy new filters to replace the old (that helps AC efficiency and literally saved my coworker like $100+ on his AC bill in a single month).

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the heat off for like 30min to get a new filter and see if would help. Now at 88. Lol

In other news look at this gonniapora with totally white polyps.
IMG_2124.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a trip! It's white? Is it supposed to be ?

In other news , don't tell your wife it was really hot here in SD.
Like 88 at the beach. Scorcher.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a trip! It's white? Is it supposed to be ?

In other news , don't tell your wife it was really hot here in SD.
Like 88 at the beach. Scorcher.

Gahaha that sounds horrible! ;) you guys have the breeze too. That's nice. So far at night it cools down but give it another month and it will still be over 80 at night.

The white bit was because I think I bleached him or did something. I raised my alk to 8.5 from 7.8 and it went all white in about 2 weeks. I thought he was toast so I let algae grow all over him too. Surprisingly back from the dead.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to follow this thread! Absolutely love it( have same tank )!

Thanks! Slow build from here. Next stop is possibly a tang for the hair algae, an anemone, a clam, and hammer coral. The rest is all impulse. Oh wait I think I'll get a brain coral too :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that is odd. I think if your nitrates are low it changes a bit as to how fast you can raise them.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that is odd. I think if your nitrates are low it changes a bit as to how fast you can raise them.

I know my Phosphates went from .12 (a week before) to .03 (which was when I did the change). I don't have any recorded nitrate readings from it though. Hardly test. But I was testing since I got a couple used hanna checkers at that time for this new tank :)

P.s. My nano looks like it is littered with baby snails. Not sure if it's true but tiny white dots everywhere and I haven't had pods in basically a year. Some larger that look like snails. However I never bought tiny snails.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frop,
I'm proud for you and it looks great!!!!!!!!!
I know you've been getting the 58 ready for a long time but your on your way, now. :)
Great job on refinishing the wood work too. Can't beat an Oceanic and you got everything at a great price with a lot of elbow grease.

Tagging along!!!!!!

Freddie

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ever see a Goni expelll its zoanthene like that?
No but those flower pots can be tough. Seems like they like dirtier water but their not really in my wheelhouse.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but those flower pots can be tough. Seems like they like dirtier water but their not really in my wheelhouse.
I've seen bta's do it and if they do... You need to shade them and spot feed them to help them recover.
If I'm not wrong Reef Roids powder is a good food for Goni's.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back