6 month update

brycenelson

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 11, 2022
Messages
134
Reaction score
68
Location
manteno
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I would like to show my 6 month update on my 55 gallon reef tank. Everything has went surprisingly smooth the biggest struggle I have had with it is the sand bed being so dirty. Would love some tips or advice to have this thing in great condition at the 1 year mark.
Parameters
1.025 salinity
Phosphate.04
Nitrate 5
Alk 10
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1350

E773C29E-D47F-4977-BAED-A73A085D5BD5.jpeg 9E99FE09-834A-492F-B4DC-BCAA4727AF04.jpeg 6830E173-B5F2-43DE-86BC-924A70C10FB9.jpeg E2DACCD3-D46A-432F-813A-CAAAAE7C7C3F.jpeg 543ACF66-F65F-44B8-8167-EDC1B3D7143F.jpeg EDBC099C-2B47-4492-A750-4F88F7E0E065.jpeg
 
It is a semi deep tank so a long apparatus for sand siphoning during water changes. Also snails and hermit crabs can help.
 
I plan on restocking my snails and crabs next time I go to the fish store
 
An apparatus called the python is designed for doing this. You can look into that.
 
Clean up crews are great but they don't really do a thorough job. And that's why siphoning the sand is important periodically.
 
Still don't underestimate the value of a cleanup crew, because they still have an effect. Especially in the areas which are difficult to siphon such as close to rocks or under them.
 
In a perfect world they would spend much of their time in those areas where you cannot siphon easily.
 
Your tank looks good so far. Keep it up!
 
I just got my first sps coral this week I got a Stylophora and it’s still adjusting but looks good
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new