60 Gallon ProStar Build

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first saltwater tank on Saturday and set it up right away with CaribSea live sand and rocks. Then on Sunday was able to rent a large 100 gallon tank of seawater from the LFS along with a submersible pump and got water in the tank. They recommended starting the cycle going with 4oz of FritzZyme Turbo Start 900 and Seachem Stability, MarinePure Bio-filter Media Block, and two little clownfish (I didn't know adding fish at this point wasn't best practice until I came to find R2R after the fact). I've been adding 3-4 capfuls of the Stability daily after the lights go out and it's going on 4 days strong. All is okay for now! I'll post a detailed build list and a few pictures below and hopefully update regularly.

Equipment:
  • Pro Clear Aquatic Systems ProStar Rimless 60 Gallon
  • EcoTech Marine Radion XR15 G5 Pro LED Light
  • EcoTech Marine VorTech MP10QD Pump
  • Aquatop MaxFlow Submersible Pump SWP-2300
  • Reef Octopus Classic 110SSS Protein Skimmer
  • Eheim JAGER TruTemp Aquarium Heater
  • 40 lb. CaribSea Special Grade Arag-Alive! Reef Sand
  • CaribSea LifeRock Live Rock

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

OP
OP
Magic City Reefer

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update:
I had a bit of algae growth on the glass only (most likely green dust algae), so I decided to add a PhosBan 150 with RowaPhos, and also added a Coralife Turbo Twist UV Sterilizer. I've been scrubbing/scraping it off with the MagFloat that has the scraper attachment but it kept coming back after about 2 hours. I installed the reactor and UV on Saturday night and I've noticed a reduction in the algae already but there is still some there. I'm sure (hope?) it will clear up after some more time though.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your new tank.
You’ll have algae and stuff to contend with. It’s all part of the process. Read as much as you can
Learn from others experiences
Reef2Reef is a wealth of information.
Good luck!
If we can help in any way just throw it out there. You’ll find the answer

samianas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, this looks like a really good start and you got some good gear. I had a question for you as I also recently acquired a 60-gallon cube. I am still acquiring gear and was wondering about your flowmaker. Has the single MP10 been enough, or are you considering getting another one? Also, what was your main reason for getting the MP10 over the other options?

OP
OP
Magic City Reefer

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, this looks like a really good start and you got some good gear. I had a question for you as I also recently acquired a 60-gallon cube. I am still acquiring gear and was wondering about your flowmaker. Has the single MP10 been enough, or are you considering getting another one? Also, what was your main reason for getting the MP10 over the other options?
Honestly I knew nothing about saltwater tanks when I bought it so I chose the MP10 because it’s what my LFS recommended. I basically bought everything he had on his setup in the store because the tank was beautiful and I wanted to reproduce it in my house. I do think a second MP10 would make a big difference in eliminating a few dead spots but it’s not absolutely necessary for now.

Hope this helps!

samianas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I knew nothing about saltwater tanks when I bought it so I chose the MP10 because it’s what my LFS recommended. I basically bought everything he had on his setup in the store because the tank was beautiful and I wanted to reproduce it in my house. I do think a second MP10 would make a big difference in eliminating a few dead spots but it’s not absolutely necessary for now.

Hope this helps!
Gotcha that makes sense, especially since it's in the beginning stages. Also, I don't see a water heater, so did you go with an inline setup or are you heating the water in the sump?

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first saltwater tank on Saturday and set it up right away with CaribSea live sand and rocks. Then on Sunday was able to rent a large 100 gallon tank of seawater from the LFS along with a submersible pump and got water in the tank. They recommended starting the cycle going with 4oz of FritzZyme Turbo Start 900 and Seachem Stability, MarinePure Bio-filter Media Block, and two little clownfish (I didn't know adding fish at this point wasn't best practice until I came to find R2R after the fact). I've been adding 3-4 capfuls of the Stability daily after the lights go out and it's going on 4 days strong. All is okay for now! I'll post a detailed build list and a few pictures below and hopefully update regularly.

Equipment:
  • Pro Clear Aquatic Systems ProStar Rimless 60 Gallon
  • EcoTech Marine Radion XR15 G5 Pro LED Light
  • EcoTech Marine VorTech MP10QD Pump
  • Aquatop MaxFlow Submersible Pump SWP-2300
  • Reef Octopus Classic 110SSS Protein Skimmer
  • Eheim JAGER TruTemp Aquarium Heater
  • 40 lb. CaribSea Special Grade Arag-Alive! Reef Sand
  • CaribSea LifeRock Live Rock

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg
How’s your tank doing

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back