6095's not working via Apex

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

zforce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have two 6095's that used to work great, then I noticed they both stopped working.

When plugged in to Apex they turn off. Unplugged they work fine.

Any advice on resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

Z

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they work when the Apex cable is not connected, check the following-

1) The setting on the 7090.500 may be wrong, you need to have these set to external mode (yellow mode light), main power 100%, pulse and pulse power to off.

2) The Apex cable may not be fully inserted, this is a very common issue, since these are essentially an Ethernet cable with a DIN plug soldered on, this type of DIN plug has a boot that can be slid down too far or too long, preventing full insertion and contact of the pins, pull the boot back, the cable may also be damaged.

3) The DIN port on the 7090.500 controller may have water damage. In this case, part 7090.500 has to be replaced, you can open the controller and check, a thorough check requires very close inspection around the port and removal of the board to check the underside where it is soldered in.

4) There may be something wrong with the Apex settings, too low of a speed, an override, wrong port assignment, etc.

OP
OP
Z

zforce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, thank you for your reply.

These pumps don't have the controller, just the simple power/cable interface.

I did pull the boot down, and cleaned the pins. No luck. I opened the cable interface, and the socket looked good, just a small capacitor in there. The Apex lights are flashing, I believe the port is correct.

Is there a repair needed on this interface? Or should I try buying a new cable?

thank you,
Z

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps with this older connector will be at least 7.5 years old, it is entirely possible they are starting to fail, the electronics have an expected life of 7-8, 10 years tends to be the maximum on a typical DC motor and since they are potted in the motor, the only repair is replacing the motor. If at all possible I would check continuity on the cable, to check if it is the cable, if everything with the Apex checks out, you likely need 6095.100 motor blocks, new ones will include the 7090.500 controller.

jerm_kozac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps with this older connector will be at least 7.5 years old, it is entirely possible they are starting to fail, the electronics have an expected life of 7-8, 10 years tends to be the maximum on a typical DC motor and since they are potted in the motor, the only repair is replacing the motor. If at all possible I would check continuity on the cable, to check if it is the cable, if everything with the Apex checks out, you likely need 6095.100 motor blocks, new ones will include the 7090.500 controller.
I believe I am having a similar issue. I too have the older model with just the power/controller block attached to the motor. my power input has been loose for the past few months, I have successfully used a small rubber band pinching the power wire to the controller wire as a work around, but now that isn't working either. Can I purchase just the block to replace? I understand the life expectancy of these pumps, but even though it is 7-8 years old, I have only used it less than a year, and would like to get some more life out of these amazing pumps.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back