6105 start up issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DogsRule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four 6105 pumps connected to 7096 controller. All items are several years old (purchased used from multiple sellers ) & are set up to run in random mode (30%-100% power on all pumps).
I have a repeated issue with one pump. When using the feed mode, the pump will only re-start maybe 50% of time. If it doesn't re-start, I have to disconnect power supply & multicontroller link cable. Sometimes the pump will then start up once power is supplied. Sometimes it will run for a second, then stop & I then have to disconnect power again. I might have to do this a few times & then the pump will run fine.
I have the same issue when we have a power outage. The pump might re-start or I have to go through same procedure.
I have run the pump with 7090 controllers to rule out 7096 being the issue & pump has same problems. If I run pump without any controllers, it seems to start every time.
All pumps are maintained routinely & on surge protection. Am I looking at a new pump motor in the near future? Many thanks for your time.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if this pump has the removable shaft with 2 blue end bushings on it from pre 2012, or it is the fixed shaft design since 2012? This issue will generally be related to the shaft being loose or pulled out on a newer model, or being fused to the propeller assembly by calcium and dragged in either model.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with a pump. No loose shaft. Deep cleaned. New propeller system. Cleaned all contacts.

Never figured it out. Bought a new, used pump from a fellow reefer.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that the motor can fail, they do have a finite life, generally around 8 years, but they usually just flat our won't run or pulse off and on in that case.

OP
OP
DogsRule

DogsRule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump in question does have the blue endcaps/bushings. I had to take pump apart to check, as I know at least one pump has the other style shaft. I'm giving it a soak in 50:50 vinegar & RO. The prop appears to move freely on the shaft, but if I feel any resistance once assembled, I might give the shaft a light clean with some wet/dry paper. Thanks for all the help.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, on that style pump, the shaft should never come out of the pump, if it does, that is the problem, it is permanently fixed in the motor.

OP
OP
DogsRule

DogsRule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no way of knowing if that is the original impellor/shaft for that motor, but at least I now know why it hasn't been working correctly. Thanks so much for your time & help.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen people mod them by taking a older 6105.700 drive unit and removing the bottom blue bushing and just standing it in the socket and then the front housing holds it in, this works but tends to be very noisy. If the seat is not totally worn out, you may be able to glue the shaft in, but it would have to still fit reasonably snug and not just wobble around or fall out to work. You would put a drop of super glue on the shaft and tap it in with a hammer, fully seated it is about 1/8" below the top of the well so you need a punch or a small socket driver to seat it below the top. You can also just replace the motor, part 6105.100.

OP
OP
DogsRule

DogsRule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will certainly give that a try. Since taking the pump apart & soaking, it has actually been working great. I have repeatedly shut it down via the food timer & it has started right back up. No problems either when disconnecting power to simulate an outage.
I noticed a slight "ridge" on part of the shaft that was covered by the magnet. I flipped the shaft during assembly, so now the ridge is at the prop end. No idea if this was in part causing the issue.
I snapped a couple of pictures to make sure I put the little bushing back in place the same way (black side was facing magnet). Maybe you could confirm correct assembly & you might be able to see the ridge arrowed in picture. Thank you so much once again for all your time & advice.
20190423_131131_resized.jpg
Screenshot_20190423-125354_resized.png

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the removable blue bushing type. That shaft should come out, but that drive unit is 9+ years old, if the pump is that old, it could be the pump is dying or the drive unit is excessively worn, after 2010 the props are blue.

OP
OP
DogsRule

DogsRule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a work horse for me for a few years, so I & previous owner have got our money out of it a few times over. Will just keep it clean & running as long as possible. Thanks once again

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back