7.4G Peninsula SPS Dominated Build

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to find a drain plug because I threw the old one out mistakenly

Hah, I did the same thing. I printed a replacement plug, it was super easy to design. If I can find the file, I'm happy to share it if you have a way to print it.

If/when you plug the drain, you'll need to address the return flow. I had to crank mine down to a ridiculously low level in order to match the water volume that's able to get through the overflow. To compensate and keep my SPS happy, I had to add another powerhead... all that said, I've been running like this for a couple months now and all my problems related to water level, flow, filtration and salinity have been fully resolved.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah, I did the same thing. I printed a replacement plug, it was super easy to design. If I can find the file, I'm happy to share it if you have a way to print it.

If/when you plug the drain, you'll need to address the return flow. I had to crank mine down to a ridiculously low level in order to match the water volume that's able to get through the overflow. To compensate and keep my SPS happy, I had to add another powerhead... all that said, I've been running like this for a couple months now and all my problems related to water level, flow, filtration and salinity have been fully resolved.
Unfortunately I don’t have a way to print but I can probably pick one up for a few bucks. I appreciate the offer though! Hoping I can still use my pump once it’s plugged. This whole thing has had me contemplating an early upgrade lol. Or at least an excuse for one;)

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well I plugged the bottom and my pump almost instantly started sucking air. I really don’t want to fiddle with the pump so I might move my ATO sensor to the display and see how that works. It confuses me how when I had a high water level my ATO worked fine but then when I lowered it the evaporation moved to the display

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I plugged the bottom and my pump almost instantly started sucking air.

You might have already realized this, but this happens when the pump is pushing water into the display faster than the overflow can let it back in.

I really don’t want to fiddle with the pump so I might move my ATO sensor to the display and see how that works. It confuses me how when I had a high water level my ATO worked fine but then when I lowered it the evaporation moved to the display

What happens in my tank when the bottom drain is open is that the display level is dictated by the amount of back pressure presented by the filtration media (which in most cases is variable). Did you happen to do any tank maintenance involving the filter media prior to this incident?

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have already realized this, but this happens when the pump is pushing water into the display faster than the overflow can let it back in.

What happens in my tank when the bottom drain is open is that the display level is dictated by the amount of back pressure presented by the filtration media (which in most cases is variable). Did you happen to do any tank maintenance involving the filter media prior to this incident?
I think I removed a little bit of filter floss from the 1st chamber

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you also perform a water change or otherwise adjust the volume of water in the system around the same time?
Before I removed the floss I did a water change and lowered the water level. It was fine for a few hours then when I woke up I noticed the ATO dumped a bunch of water in the tank which I assume is because the water level dropped

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I removed the floss I did a water change and lowered the water level. It was fine for a few hours then when I woke up I noticed the ATO dumped a bunch of water in the tank which I assume is because the water level dropped

I see. Did you also stir anything up or blow off any rocks during your WC? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm working towards a theory :)

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little growth update, my PC Rainbow and Little Red Ferrari are growing like crazy! They’re starting to color up nice too
4B85644E-0148-44C4-8025-7455036EC7A5.jpeg
DA465FB0-A521-457F-B366-3B1A2339BF93.jpeg

My Apex base unit comes tomorrow. The plan is to eventually get a Dos and do auto water changes. Nutrients are still undetectable but everything is growing well

JB33t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little growth update, my PC Rainbow and Little Red Ferrari are growing like crazy! They’re starting to color up nice too
4B85644E-0148-44C4-8025-7455036EC7A5.jpeg
DA465FB0-A521-457F-B366-3B1A2339BF93.jpeg

My Apex base unit comes tomorrow. The plan is to eventually get a Dos and do auto water changes. Nutrients are still undetectable but everything is growing well
Interesting build so far, coming along nicely Im starting my first nano SPS as well. What heater are you using?

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting build so far, coming along nicely Im starting my first nano SPS as well. What heater are you using?
So I started with an Eheim Jager. That’s my normal heater of choice for any build but because of the way the overflow is in this tank I was forced to switch to an Aqueon preset heater. I don’t have any complaints so far. It keeps the temp very stable. If you’re tank is an IM/WB/FC I would still recommend the Eheim

JB33t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started with an Eheim Jager. That’s my normal heater of choice for any build but because of the way the overflow is in this tank I was forced to switch to an Aqueon preset heater. I don’t have any complaints so far. It keeps the temp very stable. If you’re tank is an IM/WB/FC I would still recommend the Eheim
Did you use any bacteria to start up the tank, that allowed you to throw acros in so fast?

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use any bacteria to start up the tank, that allowed you to throw acros in so fast?
Nope. I added Hawaiian black sand and some real reed life rock (wet) and put my first acro in probably a 3-4 weeks later. It did pale out a month after adding it kept growing. I had most of my acros in about 6 weeks after setting the tank up. So far no hiccups.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love both of those sps. Glad to hear tank is running smoothly and you’re getting growth and coloring up.
Knock on wood it has been a lot easier than I expected. I have been more disciplined than in the past however. Hopefully I can keep it going! I’m saving the last few spots for some real show stoppers

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to take a few pics of my zoa garden which is still a work in progress. Some of the polyps aren’t open because the lights came on only a few minutes ago. There’s also a speckled krak I have hidden away because it doesn’t seem to be a fan of light.
859C3369-39D5-4DD0-8594-420E360968F8.jpeg
3F6A70B1-4887-4F73-8D2D-AE19B9254D10.jpeg

Back