70g Stocking Ideas? Tang? Eel?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo may have seen my last thread ("40g Stocking Ideas? Eel??") where I said I may be upgrading my tank for Christmas. I went to my LFS today with my family and my mom said that the 70g they had looked really nice, and they had 2 tangs in it, a yellow and a purple tang if I'm not mistaken, along with some adult clowns and some other smaller damsels and lots of nice corals. It seems like my parents sort of approve of the 70g, so I'm gonna try and get that, but I need some stocking ideas.
On one hand, I would like to have a tang or two in the tank, i believe they make any tank look really nice. Plus I could add some other fish species.
One another hand, I really like the idea of having an eel and maybe a dwarf lionfish. Would that work in a 70g?
OR: could I go with the tang(s) in the 70g, and add a snowflake eel?
I would be buying it tank and stand, a cabinet stand so I can put my supplies and hardware down there. Could someone maybe instruct me on the more complex types of filtration you see in bigger tanks? Because on my 20g i have an HOB power filter and I'm not very knowledged on the skimmers and sumps and such. What do they all do exactly?

So hopefully you have some great knowledge to share #reefsquad , feel absolutely free to leave any suggestions for cool 70g fish.
Thomas

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo may have seen my last thread ("40g Stocking Ideas? Eel??") where I said I may be upgrading my tank for Christmas. I went to my LFS today with my family and my mom said that the 70g they had looked really nice, and they had 2 tangs in it, a yellow and a purple tang if I'm not mistaken, along with some adult clowns and some other smaller damsels and lots of nice corals. It seems like my parents sort of approve of the 70g, so I'm gonna try and get that, but I need some stocking ideas.
On one hand, I would like to have a tang or two in the tank, i believe they make any tank look really nice. Plus I could add some other fish species.
One another hand, I really like the idea of having an eel and maybe a dwarf lionfish. Would that work in a 70g?
OR: could I go with the tang(s) in the 70g, and add a snowflake eel?
I would be buying it tank and stand, a cabinet stand so I can put my supplies and hardware down there. Could someone maybe instruct me on the more complex types of filtration you see in bigger tanks? Because on my 20g i have an HOB power filter and I'm not very knowledged on the skimmers and sumps and such. What do they all do exactly?

So hopefully you have some great knowledge to share #reefsquad , feel absolutely free to leave any suggestions for cool 70g fish.
Thomas

I'd either go with one Yellow or one Purple tang in a 70 gallon.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably end up going with the yellow one. I acc bought some Julian Sprungs seaweed to feed my CUC when I got them to acclimate them to my tank, and Ive barely used it since XD. It would be nice to use it lol. What do you think of the snowflake eel in the tank? Also, #BleedCarolinaBlue

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion fish and eels are both predators so I’d do lots of research before purchase. Also just for a little perspective- a lot of LFS have all of their tanks plumbed into on giant system with large filtering, skimming and water volume. So what you may see in a fish store’s smaller tank would not work in YOUR smaller tank that isn’t connected to a bigger overall system. Hope that makes sense.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably end up going with the yellow one. I acc bought some Julian Sprungs seaweed to feed my CUC when I got them to acclimate them to my tank, and Ive barely used it since XD. It would be nice to use it lol. What do you think of the snowflake eel in the tank? Also, #BleedCarolinaBlue

For the long haul I'd would go with a Hawaiian Golden Dwarf Moray eel.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion fish and eels are both predators so I’d do lots of research before purchase. Also just for a little perspective- a lot of LFS have all of their tanks plumbed into on giant system with large filtering, skimming and water volume. So what you may see in a fish store’s smaller tank would not work in YOUR smaller tank that isn’t connected to a bigger overall system. Hope that makes sense.
Yes Im aware that sometimes stores will do that so I made sure to ask the manager how much water volume, he told me the DT was 70g plus a 10g sump, so 80g total water volume.I think the lionfish I may cross from my list, but the eel im gonna take a better look into and do more research, hopefully Reef2Reef can help

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the long haul I'd would go with a Hawaiian Golden Dwarf Moray eel.

I do believe that Tesselata Eels are wayyy to big for a 70g. The golden dwarf moray is something I've looked at, its just a matter of saving about $600. Im 15 so I dont have that kinda money in cash (i only get to spend my cash) and my parents may not want to spend $600 on an eel. But I'll definitely see if itll work out.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe that Tesselata Eels are wayyy to big for a 70g. The golden dwarf moray is something I've looked at, its just a matter of saving about $600. Im 15 so I dont have that kinda money in cash (i only get to spend my cash) and my parents may not want to spend $600 on an eel. But I'll definitely see if itll work out.

Yeah I just told them. They get like 6' in length

Sorry,
I changed the video to a dwarf moray... ;Oldman

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, in my 90 I used to try going with 2 of this size and it never seemed to work out. The room just wasn't there I guess. I do have a fair amount of rock however.... since keeping to the one Yellow and other smaller species (6 fish max) things have been blissful...

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry,
I changed the video to a dwarf moray... ;Oldman
I would love a golden dwarf moray, especially one that stays completely white. The reason I acc got into keeping a fish tank was because I wanted a snake but my mom wouldnt let me have one so she said I could keep fish. Since I was stubborn I wanted saltwater because I love a challenge (plus I grew up watching Finding Nemo). The snake I wanted was called a blue eyed leucistic python. Search it up, its just the reptile version of the golden dwarf moray lol. SO i will definitely try and get one. It wont bother tangs and full size clowns will it?

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dwarf lionfish and an eel would make for a very cool tank. For a 70 gallon, I would suggest a snowflake, dwarf moray, or blue ribbon eel.

As long as your other fish don't fit into your lionfish's and eel's mouths, you should be fine.

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can look into a snowflake or a chain link eel. They might try to go after smaller slow fish, but have pretty bad eye sight so not the best hunters. They so stay relatively small, around 2 feet or so. As for tangs I would look a tomini tang. They are a smaller tang, that only get around 5 inches. Most tangs will get too big for a 70 gal.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dwarf lionfish and an eel would make for a very cool tank. For a 70 gallon, I would suggest a snowflake, dwarf moray, or blue ribbon eel.

As long as your other fish don't fit into your lionfish's and eel's mouths, you should be fine.
My clowns are about 1 year old and they are big, about 3 inches maybe, and still growing. I would love a ribbon eel acc, i forgot about those. But they are veryyyyyy long right? But theyre bodies are quite small. Like width-wise and mouth size. Would they also work with clownfish? The lionfish Im just way to afraid itll eat my clowns.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can look into a snowflake or a chain link eel. They might try to go after smaller slow fish, but have pretty bad eye sight so not the best hunters. They so stay relatively small, around 2 feet or so. As for tangs I would look a tomini tang. They are a smaller tang, that only get around 5 inches. Most tangs will get too big for a 70 gal.
I searched up the chain link eel, it says it needs a tank of about 125g. It wont work in 70g...? Tomini tangs look cool, what about yellow tangs? Those work in 70g?

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns are about 1 year old and they are big, about 3 inches maybe, and still growing. I would love a ribbon eel acc, i forgot about those. But they are veryyyyyy long right? But theyre bodies are quite small. Like width-wise and mouth size. Would they also work with clownfish? The lionfish Im just way to afraid itll eat my clowns.
Ribbon eels can grow to 4', but don't leave their caves (from what I understand), so you just need a large system of under sand pipes for it to hide in. See this link: https://reefbuilders.com/2020/08/10/creature-feature-ribbon-eel/

Lionfish will try to fit anything into their mouths. A fu manchu grows to 4" max, but is more delicate than other species. A fuzzy lionfish is hardier, but grows to 6-7" and will probably try to eat your clowns.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back