OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most ribbons are expert level. Not easy to care for and generally only live about 6 months in captivity. A chain link would be ok in a 70 gallon. Yellow tangs get a good size, usual a minimum of 90 gallons is the suggested size, unless you get a 5 foot tank 70 gallon tank.
I believe the tank I looked at was 5ft. If it truly does live for only 6months, I dont think I want one. Id like smth that will last a few years or longer. I acc just searched it up though and it says that ribbon eels can lives up to 20years. #reefsquad ? Anyone have experience with ribbon eels? Update 4:25pm EST: After a lil more research, i found out that ribbon eels can live about 4-7 years in captivity

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the tank I looked at was 5ft. If it truly does live for only 6months, I dont think I want one. Id like smth that will last a few years or longer. I acc just searched it up though and it says that ribbon eels can lives up to 20years. #reefsquad ? Anyone have experience with ribbon eels? Update 4:25pm EST: After a lil more research, i found out that ribbon eels can live about 4-7 years in captivity

:D

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tomini, kole, or white tail bristletooth tang would work in a 70g; none of the zebrasoma's mentioned will work in a 70g, and some will get down right nasty. A snowflake eel can also work in a 70g, study how to set up a tank to keep an eel happy, and he'll be good. Eels live 20-30 years and the reason people can't keep them more than 6 months or 2 to 4 years, is because of a bad diet and inadequate care. Yes the Hawaiian dwarf will also work, they usually go for $300-400.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tomini, kole, or white tail bristletooth tang would work in a 70g; none of the zebrasoma's mentioned will work in a 70g, and some will get down right nasty. A snowflake eel can also work in a 70g, study how to set up a tank to keep an eel happy, and he'll be good. Eels live 20-30 years and the reason people can't keep them more than 6 months or 2 to 4 years, is because of a bad diet and inadequate care. Yes the Hawaiian dwarf will also work, they usually go for $300-400.
Maybe a Chevron? Great cleaners, almost too good sometimes lol... Love their colouration, especially as juvies...probably on the borderline at 70g. Or is this also known as the bristletooth you speak of?

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a Chevron? Great cleaners, almost too good sometimes lol... Love their colouration, especially as juvies...probably on the borderline at 70g. Or is this also known as the bristletooth you speak of?
Although I would love a chevron tang, I prolly wont be going $400 for a fish. (Just yet ;) )

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a Two Spot Bristletooth tang?

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I would love a chevron tang, I prolly wont be going $400 for a fish. (Just yet ;) )
Holy smokes! Is that what they are up to now??? I guess everything lately is increasing in price....they used to be just shy of a hundred bucks around here....my word, then yes avoid.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im starting to come up with a list of potential reef candidates.
- 2 Clowns (which I already have)
- Mandarin (which I have, but if I get the eel I may move it to my current 20g all alone, or just place it in a refugium under my tank with a light.
- Snowflake eel
- In order of preference (only one of them though i will buy): Tomini, kole(yellow tang if i find out it works), bristletooth tang.
- And I may try and add some urchins in there to eat some algae alongside the tang
- Any other suggestions? More corals definitely

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im starting to come up with a list of potential reef candidates.
- 2 Clowns (which I already have)
- Mandarin (which I have, but if I get the eel I may move it to my current 20g all alone, or just place it in a refugium under my tank with a light.
- Snowflake eel
- In order of preference (only one of them though i will buy): Tomini, kole(yellow tang if i find out it works), bristletooth tang.
- And I may try and add some urchins in there to eat some algae alongside the tang
- Any other suggestions? More corals definitely
I do have several species of urchin. They are fantastic for clean up crew, but be prepared for the odd annoying rock topple over....worth it though imo.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What about a Two Spot Bristletooth tang?

Yes the two spot is also a bristletooth that would work; the chevron is the one that wouldn't, they need a much larger tank.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have several species of urchin. They are fantastic for clean up crew, but be prepared for the odd annoying rock topple over....worth it though imo.
Yes, once i upgrade i will use the sand and live rock i already have, then buy lots more to create a cool scape. I will glue the rock together so that i dont have problems with it falling over. DO you know of anyother CUC members that wouldnt get eaten by an eel? Snails? Nassarius, trochus? What about starfish?

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m NOT 15 and I can’t afford $600 so don’t feel bad. Actually only spending cash is a good financial plan for all of us!
Thats facts XD. Im trying to become a surgeon, getting all 90s and high 80s since grade one, one of my reasons for becoming a surgeon is so i can buy more reef tank supplies lol

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the tank that I want : Red Sea Reefer 350. 73g, fits nicely in the room, and comes with the stand. Right now im using my bookshelf for my 20g. Hopefully i get it, hopefully #reefsquad members can help me with some setup, maintenance and filtration questions/problems. Tell me what you think.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, once i upgrade i will use the sand and live rock i already have, then buy lots more to create a cool scape. I will glue the rock together so that i dont have problems with it falling over. DO you know of anyother CUC members that wouldnt get eaten by an eel? Snails? Nassarius, trochus? What about starfish?
Hmmm.... not sure that way. To my knowledge most are either fish or invert diet....

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the fish are big enough, and the eel is well fed, it should be ok. I have 2 zebras (only eel who is considered 'reef safe with caution) and a chainlink. With inverts and other fish, none of them have bothered or eaten anything they were suppose to. I would make sure the urchin is not small though. Eels have been known to eat those, depending on species, can be part of their diet. That being said, I have a long spine and a Halloween urchin that haven't been bothered by any of my eels.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the fish are big enough, and the eel is well fed, it should be ok. I have 2 zebras (only eel who is considered 'reef safe with caution) and a chainlink. With inverts and other fish, none of them have bothered or eaten anything they were suppose to. I would make sure the urchin is not small though. Eels have been known to eat those, depending on species, can be part of their diet. That being said, I have a long spine and a Halloween urchin that haven't been bothered by any of my eels.
Ok, i think I could make this work. I presented the idea to my mom of getting the Red Sea Reefer 350, and she said that its pretty expensive, then I said that there are prolly some cheaper options for 70g tanks with stand, but then she said "Well if youre gonna get serious with this hobby we want you to have a good quality tank". I think im in ;) Hopefully tho, wont jinx it.
So a well fed snowflake eel (What should I feed it? Is there any frozen or prepared foods it will eat? Frozen squid? Some sort of eel pellets?), with the clowns, ill maybe put the mandarin in a fuge (ill set one up in the extra 12inches of space I have) and then id like to get a tomini or kole tang and maybe 2 small damsels or smth (ik they can get aggressive but ive seen it work in a Reefer 350 with two tangs, maybe 8 damsels and clowns. I think theyre cute :) )

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my eels the frozen mix from Walmart. If you can find uncooked, thats best. The bag i buy has shrimp, muscles, squid tentacles and calamari rings. But my one zebra won't eat uncooked anything. He gets cooked shrimp. Only cook the food if its a last resort. My picky zebra eel wouldn't eat anything at all for 6 months, and I tried every food I could think of. Then i tried cooking shrimp, and as soon as he smelled it in the tank, he ate 10 pieces in a row. Might help if you get a picky eater.

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no they have different life stages and in the wild, live up to 5+ years. ghost ribbons are similar, but harder to find and hardier.
starfish are pretty hard, but i think sand sifters are easier.
Ok, i think I could make this work. I presented the idea to my mom of getting the Red Sea Reefer 350, and she said that its pretty expensive, then I said that there are prolly some cheaper options for 70g tanks with stand, but then she said "Well if youre gonna get serious with this hobby we want you to have a good quality tank". I think im in ;) Hopefully tho, wont jinx it.
So a well fed snowflake eel (What should I feed it? Is there any frozen or prepared foods it will eat? Frozen squid? Some sort of eel pellets?), with the clowns, ill maybe put the mandarin in a fuge (ill set one up in the extra 12inches of space I have) and then id like to get a tomini or kole tang and maybe 2 small damsels or smth (ik they can get aggressive but ive seen it work in a Reefer 350 with two tangs, maybe 8 damsels and clowns. I think theyre cute :) )
some fun damsels that are my fav: anadaman, any chromis besides the green, black axil and the blue-green (Caribbean blues are nice but they may outgrow), any chrysipterea(i like the rarer ones), the corazon damsel and the fusilier damsel

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back