720 gallon acryllic

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tank I was referring to above. Turns out google made it easier than searching directly on RC (remember when they used to charge to use the search function?)

As far as I know the tank is still running. Within the last couple of years the owner has posted somewhere + youtube videos.

New Jersey REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that’s one huge tank!
Four + feet tall, that’s awesome, can’t wait to see this progress!!!
4BBF4B40-9317-48B6-8988-4FCDEAD9D8A0.jpeg

Wow, that’s one huge tank!
Four + feet tall, that’s awesome, can’t wait to see this progress!!!

OP
OP
S

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191014_180253__01__01.jpg

Tip and pouring about a liter of weld on 40 into each long seam and half a liter or so into the short seams including the vertical seams. Just because I dont ever want to think about the possibility of a leak.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. That is a great tank. I like the center overflow. I think it gives the fish a nice path to swim. I also like that it skims from all 4 sides. Hiding it will be tougher though.

Obviously anything used will need to hold up in the water. I always like to think about zoos and aquariums when setting up. They have tanks where the rock runs up the tank and it looks good.

Just be sure not to put more than 3 tangs in there or the tang police will stop by.

widarecu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Challenging tall but rewarding once it’s done. What are you planning to use for your return? And what lights you planning to use?

Nhltc99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this! I am actually picking up a similar tank this weekend. Same 8x3 footprint and center (Island) overflow, but only 30" tall. Still undecided on exactly what to do with the overflow myself. Definitely following along!

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think anyone has mentioned this, but if you don’t want it in the center I would cut it out and put and overflow on the short end against the wall. How many holes are drilled on the bottom of the current overflow? Could always repurpose the holes for part of a closed loop system.

Rogueaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R That’s quite the tank build you have going on. Have you decided what equipment you’ll be using far as return pumps, powerheads, etc? What are the dimensions of the tank?

OP
OP
S

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R That’s quite the tank build you have going on. Have you decided what equipment you’ll be using far as return pumps, powerheads, etc? What are the dimensions of the tank?

Its 8 feet by about 3 deep and 4 high. I havent completely settled on my return pump or powerheads vs closed loop though power heads seem like a lot less work so I'll probably do that. I'm building my skimmer and already have a calcium reactor that should be able to handle it. I will probably make an algae scrubber (i made the one on my present 200 gallon system). I have apex and will probably add on trident at some point. I have about 600 lbs of dry rock I want to get curing asap. I have a 200 gallon sump and I'll be running a 125 gallon fish only aquarium on the same system.

OP
OP
S

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think anyone has mentioned this, but if you don’t want it in the center I would cut it out and put and overflow on the short end against the wall. How many holes are drilled on the bottom of the current overflow? Could always repurpose the holes for part of a closed loop system.

I think I like the central overflow but it might get in the way if i want to go snorkling, which i may actually have to do sometimes as deep as it is as long tools can only do so much.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First welcome to R2R where you will soon realize how grand people are on here. My idea for the size of tank and that you hate the overflow would be to get some stax rock and silicon them into place. Build them up and build it where you can use other live rock to branch off of. You would never know it’s there because stax rocks are well rocks but flat on top and bottom mostly. So it’s like building legos but you need to use silicon or they will fall down. I would also do it in three stages where you do the bottom, let it cure then middle and top etc.

If you have a rock scape in mind you can use this to reinforce that and like is said build out and make other columns and supports. This will give you some nice arches and unique rock scape.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a true central overflow for larger tanks. I would keep the tank in the middle of a room and would either have a larger stand with equipment or fish room directly below it. I currently have a large fish room behind my tank and LOVE it, but wouldn't feel comfortable going through the floor. You could also plumb multiple returns/closed loop through the overflow and have an incredibly clean look and still provide adequate flow. Biggest negative of a central overflow with a side against the wall is from the straight on POV everything behind the overflow is hidden. I am actually in the market for a very large cylinder tank with central overflow to make this happen :).

Regardless what you do, would love to see updates with pictures.

Rogueaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its 8 feet by about 3 deep and 4 high. I havent completely settled on my return pump or powerheads vs closed loop though power heads seem like a lot less work so I'll probably do that. I'm building my skimmer and already have a calcium reactor that should be able to handle it. I will probably make an algae scrubber (i made the one on my present 200 gallon system). I have apex and will probably add on trident at some point. I have about 600 lbs of dry rock I want to get curing asap. I have a 200 gallon sump and I'll be running a 125 gallon fish only aquarium on the same system.

sounds like a nice build you got going on there. Looking forward to following the progression. Let me know if there’s anything you need as far as powerheads, pumps etc.i also have a 200g sump on my system.

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the size, 4’ depth has proved challenging but rewarding with all the viewing to be had. Let’s see some more pictures of your progress! (I have the same tank and look forward to seeing yours come together)

OP
OP
S

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tip and pour with weldon 40 filled in all the corners perfectly, but left heavy crazing in the vicinity. I had to sand down about 2 mm in some areas to get it out (luckily its about 40 mm thick) . Took forever. I sanded up to 2000 grit, then novus 2, there was no need for novus 3. I'll finish up with novus 1 but it already looks as good as it did before I caused all the crazing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go with a closed loop for the flow on the bottom half of the tank as I don't want to deal with power heads at that depth and all their wires. I have 2 jebao 20000 liter per hour pumps for the closed loop and 2 jebao 10,000 liter per hour pumps for the return . I'll use power heads or a couple gyres at the top.

I have 700 lbs of mined dry rock sitting in an acid bath right now and will be power washing it afterwards, and then will sit it in DI water with lanthanum chloride until the tank is read for it.

I'm keeping the true central overflow.

Progress has been slow, mostly because I didn't want to sit there and sand out the crazing for 30 hours, but that's done now.
IMG_20200209_121919.jpg
IMG_20200209_121909.jpg

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back