75 Gallon build--First real reef tank

Goodgreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been posting these pictures to my local reef club as I go along. Thought I'd participate more here as well and share my progress. The plan is to have this be a some lps but mostly sps tank. I'm starting off with some easier care coral that I won't regret being in there once I get the more sensitive coral 6 months down the road. I'm 6 weeks out from the time I started cycling. Everything leveled out around the 3rd week and by the 5th week I have my nitrates below 2ppm. The green hair algae that I haven't plucked out is being eaten by the cleanup crew and starry blenny and what remains is starting to brown from lack of nutrients as my algae scrubber is taking it all away.

My current stock list including cleanup crew:

Turbo snails
Nassarius snails
Scarlet hermits
Astrea Snails
Orchid Dottyback
Starry Blenny
Yellow eye kole tang
(Future suggestions for fish or invertebrates appreciated, I want to add maybe 3 more fish at the most and this will be a shrimp free tank)

My fish get along well. I was a little worried after reading mixed reviews about starry blenny and kole tangs together, but they are both very docile. The blenny likes to perch anywhere he can and watch me. Both he and the tang have taken to eating the garlic seaweed I give them as the algae dwindles and the tang likes the occasional mysis and brine shrimp. He is still pretty shy but swims freely if I am out of view.

Current coral:

Favite/Brain coral

My current equipment/tank items:

Reefbreeders Photon48 LED
AquaC Urchin Pro Skimmer with Rio 1400 pump
DIY Algae Scrubber with Jebao DC3000 pump
Trigger Systems Ruby30 Sump
2x Jebao WP-25 with Twin controller
Rio 2500 return pump
BRS Reef Saver Rock
Seaflor Special Grade sand
AWI Typhoon 5 stage 75gpd RODI
Tunze ATO 3155
Jebao DP-4 dosing pump
Seneye Monitoring system

Currently I run no reactors as the algae scrubber is meant to handle much of that reduction combined with the skimmer. I do have a bag of carbon sitting in the first chamber of the sump. I am considering getting a carbon reactor, as a FW veteran I just can't see myself not running carbon on a tank as it can neutralize a lot of unwanted contaminates and provide clear water. Parameters are good currently. NH3 is 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates less than 2ppm, Phosphates showing 0 on Hanna Checker. My beneficial supplements are a little high as I try and zero in the dosing, which I have minimal now as I don't have but 1 hard coral to soak it up yet. Cal 440, Mg 1420, dkh 9.5. Ph is 8.21 average but fluctuates between 8.13 at night and 8.24 during the day. Raising the dkh has seemed to lessen that. The past two 24 cycles it has stayed between 8.17-8.22. And after enough rambling the photos below.
7Z2ojaC.jpg
8ySw9pw.jpg
cXiagCC.jpg
xCk5IQl.jpg

Attachments

• 20140719_153417.jpg
    20140719_153417.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 299
OP
OP
Goodgreef

Goodgreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the black cover is to block light into the overflow. I also cut a hole in it to run tubing just past it which I attached to my overflow vent pipe to pull in more O2. Just doing that increased my average Ph by .05. Here is a picture of my one spot foxface I've had for about a week now. He has totally destroyed the GHA in my tank.
10710811_995532692681_5140554747271895623_n.jpg

OP
OP
Goodgreef

Goodgreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I should note. I lost my starry blenny and kole tang to a drop in salinity I wasn't aware of for a couple weeks. I got a cheap refractometer which means I have to calibrate it at least once a week and I didn't realize it. I was also taking readings using a CFL to calibrate but using an incandescent when I tested my waterchange water. I added low salinity water changes without realizing it twice and it took its toll on those two fish and my single head frogspawn. Everything is fine now as this happened a couple weeks ago. The other coral and fish are doing great.

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! everything looks good. sorry for you loss. Very cool app btw. have to check it out. following along

OP
OP
Goodgreef

Goodgreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also picked up a Reef Octopus NWB-110 from a local club member for $60 in slightly used condition. Hoping it will get me that darker skimmate compared to the Urchin Pro.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goodgreef

Goodgreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also add that after 24 hours of using the new skimmer my PH is holding at 8.27. We will see the low side tonight. My daytime PH before was around 8.18 with the Urchin Pro skimmer. This thing pulls in a lot more fresh air.

OP
OP
Goodgreef

Goodgreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also made some equipment and stock changes. The one spot foxface has been swapped for a two spot bristletooth tang. The foxface was nipping corals and killed my clam one night. Current other fish, flame hawk, percula clown, yellow coris wrasse, royal gramma, blue chromis, midas blenny. My plan is to keep this stock and add a blue spot jawfish in about 6 months once I am concrete in my management of the tank. I have also replaced my jebao WP-25s with a Maxspect Gyre.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back