75 Gallon "Everything Used" Build

GatorBen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad they worked out for you. Yeah I wondered how long it would take for the clowns to start fighting. I found that one that we "lost". Funny thing he was the biggest of all of them. He was the very first one that survived my first breeding attempt. I'm going to keep him in my display refugium. It's pretty neat seeing him and being able to tell people that I raised him from an egg. Most people probably won't understand but those who have raised babies know what work goes into it. Plus it was the last semester of my college career so I was juggling feeding him 3-4 times a day, working full time, and studying for finals. He graduated to flake food the day I graduated from college. They can be pretty mean but he will have his own little world in my 20 gal display refugium. I don't have a camera that will take pics but ill get my brothers iPhone 5 and take some good pics and resurrect that old thread of mine. Plus i'll include some old pics of where the tank started.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking build you have going here.... that stand looks eerily familiar. let me guess, it is 22 to 24" tall. tiny front doors. I had one like that. makes it very very hard to get the skimmer cleaned. I ended up removing one end panel to be able to get to things.

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad they worked out for you. Yeah I wondered how long it would take for the clowns to start fighting. I found that one that we "lost". Funny thing he was the biggest of all of them. He was the very first one that survived my first breeding attempt. I'm going to keep him in my display refugium. It's pretty neat seeing him and being able to tell people that I raised him from an egg. Most people probably won't understand but those who have raised babies know what work goes into it. Plus it was the last semester of my college career so I was juggling feeding him 3-4 times a day, working full time, and studying for finals. He graduated to flake food the day I graduated from college. They can be pretty mean but he will have his own little world in my 20 gal display refugium. I don't have a camera that will take pics but ill get my brothers iPhone 5 and take some good pics and resurrect that old thread of mine. Plus i'll include some old pics of where the tank started.

I look forward to seeing the pics. I looked at your old thread as well today at lunch. The pile of rocks has come a long way!

-g

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking build you have going here.... that stand looks eerily familiar. let me guess, it is 22 to 24" tall. tiny front doors. I had one like that. makes it very very hard to get the skimmer cleaned. I ended up removing one end panel to be able to get to things.

Thanks Pickup.....Yep, that's the stand. It's not the greatest, but beggars can't be choosers sometimes. Since the doors are so small I centered the sump instead of pushing it over to one side. That way I can get to most everything without too much effort. The AquaC skimmer's cup is pretty easy to remove. But centering the sump forced me to have the pump right in the front so I can service it when needed. I kinda like it that way anyhow so I can adjust the output valve easily.

-g

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new updates?

Not much to update....I did put in the substrate and some rock which is all cycling. I also installed a GFCI plug adapter and ground probe which gives me peace of mind when working on the tank. My main concentration the past couple of weeks is Ebaying some items including that MRC skimmer MR-2 which actually sold in 16 minutes after listing it one day at lunch. I couldn't believe it. I'm also ebaying some of my model trains (my other hobby). Much easier to ship these than large skimmers! One hobby will pay for the other....

-g

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few shots of the rock and substrate.....as you can see, I went with something different with shells because we liked the look and wanted something different than the sand in the 120.....I have more rock in an existing tank that we will add after the tank cycles.

-g

IMG_2130.jpg
IMG_2131.jpg
IMG_2132.jpg
IMG_2133.jpg
IMG_2134.jpg

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What method are you using to cycle?

Actually, the rock pieces have been curing for about 2 months. I'm going to monitor water parameters and slowly add existing rock. The tank may or may not go through the cycle, depending on how fast I add things.

-g

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's with the Canister filter I see there? Is there a reason you left one on there even though you have a sump? Are you using it as a "media reactor" or are you actually leaving sponges and stuff in there?

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's with the Canister filter I see there? Is there a reason you left one on there even though you have a sump? Are you using it as a "media reactor" or are you actually leaving sponges and stuff in there?

Haha....that's just an intake tube and strainer from another tank that had coralline algae on it. It's only in the tank to spread coralline spores and is not connected to a filter.

-g

BayouBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build so far. I just joined this forum after running into a member at the local Petco, so I thought I'd chime in and say hi as well. Looking forward to seeing that bad boy stocked!

BayouBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...yeah...I'm working on my own 75g build as well...lol. I'll have to start one of these fancy build threads too.

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build so far. I just joined this forum after running into a member at the local Petco, so I thought I'd chime in and say hi as well. Looking forward to seeing that bad boy stocked!

Thanks so much and welcome to the forum! I've since added a powder brown tang and a keyhole angel along with the 3 clowns I had already. I broke the "Everything Used" rule and got an auto top off unit (Tunze). I looked for a used one for a while and couldn't find anyone who would part with their Tunze 3155.

Looking forward to seeing your setup!

-g

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd post a few pics tonight since it's a relaxing night and Charlie the tang felt like posing.... Upgraded the lights to LED, added some rock, began dosing two-part and watching the coralline grow...

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1390616904.835865.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1390616925.195343.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1390616950.229242.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1390616971.618122.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1390616990.665801.jpg

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Harry requested, an update a few years later. Still have two of the same clowns and have made improvements over the years - still mostly used equipment. Forgive the bubble algae, I've let it go and currently experimenting with removal methods. Also have added a 40 BR frag tank to the setup - running off the same sump, reactors and apex controller.
IMG_1480266686.962268.jpg
IMG_1480266696.779920.jpg
IMG_1480266706.045245.jpg
IMG_1480266718.214002.jpg
IMG_1480266728.431371.jpg
IMG_1480266737.499153.jpg
IMG_1480266745.936952.jpg
IMG_1480266754.566357.jpg
IMG_1480266763.328403.jpg

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OLD Thread I know............AND sold it all this past fall to pay for my youngest son's last semester in college. He's since graduated and is employed by the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. It seems he loves Dolphins more than reef tanks. Ah well, I feel like I at least planted the salty seed in some form. It is nice to be back to having only one tank. ; )

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been to any of our meetings this year ? If we can find someone up there to host it will be the fourth Saturday of June

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been to the meetings in some time. I'm on call two weeks at a time and it hasn't worked out. This month is beach month for us, so I'm out for the two weekends I do have off. I'd love to come to a meeting though when it can work out. I remember going with my youngest son (mentioned above) to harry's house when he was 6 or 7 to pick up some southdown sand he had..... Time really goes fast! I think the last meeting my wife and I went to was at Corlett's Body shop some years ago or possibly the Aquarium Shop upstairs. I'm sure there are lots of new and younger faces now!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back