75 Gallon "Everything Used" Build

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the 120 is coasting along smoothly, and being the person I am needed (ok, wanted) another project to add to the list. With spring here, and yard work quickly approaching, I'll probably regret starting this. But my son and I wanted to see what we could build with "Everything Used" and hopefully cheaper than placing a huge order at BRS. I love seeing threads like this, so I thought some in the group might like to follow along......

So we found this tank and stand on CL for cheap. The guy has had it since '06 and it sat in his kitchen and he never put a drop of water in it. He just wanted it out of his way, so we bought it for cheap. I got a sump and an overflow from fellow R2R members, a pump and skimmer (have had these since last year) from RC members. A crazy expensive Hamilton Belize Sun light fixture was scored on Ebay for about 1/5 of the original price. The only thing new we've bought so far is a power strip and plumbing parts from L0we's. I'll post some pics along as we progress.

-g
IMG_2014.jpg
IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2015.jpg

ChrisKey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love seeing used parts being put to good use. Most parts in my build are used as well. I have spent around $2000 where all the equipment new would be well into the $5000 range. Good luck with it and make sure you post often.

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Chris, sure will.....

Here are a few shots of some of the items we will use...Oceanic model 2 sump modified for fuge in center and raised water level. Not sure why they designed these for only 6 inch water depth......Bought used of course. AquaC EV-120 skimmer. Arrived mail order in pieces and repaired with Weld-on #16, only paid for the glue for the entire skimmer.
IMG_2018.jpg
IMG_2024.jpg

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our 10 gallon with rock from a fellow R2R member along with clowns we bought from him.
IMG_2013.jpg
IMG_2012.jpg
IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

shovelrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I will be starting the same process this weekend if everything pans out. I have a verbal agreement on a 75g right now that I should be able to pick up on Sat. I plan on using the everything used method as well. Good luck with your build.
Will you be drilling the tank?

:pop2:

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I will be starting the same process this weekend if everything pans out. I have a verbal agreement on a 75g right now that I should be able to pick up on Sat. I plan on using the everything used method as well. Good luck with your build.
Will you be drilling the tank?

:pop2:

Awesome, I'd love to see yours in progress as well. Not going to drill this one. I got a Lifereef slimline dual overflow from a fellow reefer that's going to be used. It's actually been quite a saga with this overflow. It also arrived damaged (my luck with acrylic items in the mail), but the gentleman I bought it from contacted Lifereef and Jeff sent me some repair parts and a big tube of weld-on #16. I'm getting pretty good with this stuff. Actually, the crack was in an area of the overflow that never holds water, so I cemented a support piece on and it's looking promising. I've also been experimenting with Stockman pipes and trying to quiet the "gurgle" that this thing makes. My solution is the "Herbie" method on one of the downspouts and a modified stockman on the second as an emergency in case the first one clogs. It's been running now for two days without issue. It's even more quiet than my 120 with built in overflows. I'll try and post some pictures tonight.

-g

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifereef overflow pics.....cracked during shipping. Last pic shows repair. I glued a new 14 inch piece of acrylic to the box. It's probably stronger now than originally...
photo1.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg
fixed.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

fixed.jpg

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leak test and light unit installed. Left MH bulb broke in shipping. New one is on the way. First test of overflow box with dual Stockman Pipes in overflow box. Note the splashing in the sump. It was loud too...
IMG_2036.jpg
IMG_2037.jpg
IMG_2038.jpg
IMG_2039.jpg
IMG_2044.jpg

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Herbie" method applied using a ball valve on the left downspout from the overflow box. It took a little adjusting, but now the left hose coming down is totally full of water and not splashing and bubbling. The right hose has a slight amount of water trickling down, but very little. I removed the stockman from the left drain in the overflow box. I can totally block it and all water goes down the second drain, though when I do this it splashes and gets loud in the sump. Automatic alarm!
IMG_2053.jpg
IMG_2054.jpg
IMG_2055.jpg
IMG_2056.jpg
IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

shovelrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your off to a great start! Nice setup you got there. How do you have the return pump plumbed, what size is it?

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your off to a great start! Nice setup you got there. How do you have the return pump plumbed, what size is it?

Thanks! Sump is drilled at one end in the center. Bulkhead with strainer on the inside, PVC elbow, 1 inch pipe with two unions for pump removal if needed. Pump is an old Iwaki WMD30-RLXT. I had to throttle it back a bit with a ball valve. I may replace it with a quieter pump in the future if the opportunity presents itself. The american versions are a bit louder than the Japanese MD units.

-g

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the broken MH bulb replaced, mounted the lighting control and ballasts as well as the inside power strip. Need sand, salt and rock transfer and we're off and running. I also plan on installing a GFO reactor. After dealing with phosphates in the 120 and the lessons learned, I'll never have a tank without a GFO reactor. I also replaced the amer Iwaki with a Pan-World (also used). The Iwaki will stay in the closet in case I need a backup. Pics below....

IMG_2119.jpg
IMG_2116.jpg
IMG_2115.jpg
IMG_2114.jpg
IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, look how clean everything is! Update this thread in 2 or 3 years. :bounce:

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, look how clean everything is! Update this thread in 2 or 3 years. :bounce:

I know, right? Hoses will be black with gunk, clamps rusty, salt everywhere...... But... There will be life!!

-g

GatorBen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good man. Glad you got some use out of that sump. I just reworked my sump. You have inspired me to post some pics so I'll prob do that in the next few days.

OP
OP
gcrawford

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good man. Glad you got some use out of that sump. I just reworked my sump. You have inspired me to post some pics so I'll prob do that in the next few days.

Thanks Ben! I really like the way this sump is working so far. It only took a couple of mods to get it the way I wanted it. BTW, the rock I got from you is awesome....lots of life, starfish and a few bristle worms that are really fun to watch when they burrow through the sand. (Pics above) We bought the substrate this weekend for the 75 - it's called Seaflor from the aquarium shop and has shells and rubble in it. We decided to go a totally different route than we did on the 120 which has finer "Pink" sand as it's called although I've never seen any hint of pink in it. Also, I'm down to 3 clowns from the 5 I bought from you. They are mean little guys, but I knew that from researching the species.

I'd love to see pics of your sump config and some of your tank. It's a really nice tank with lots of life!

-g

Back