75 gallon mixed reef build

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion, you may want to label all the wires and try to tuck them up so they are running in some sort of fashion. Sorry that’s the ocd in me. .

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion, you may want to label all the wires and try to tuck them up so they are running in some sort of fashion. Sorry that’s the ocd in me. .

No that's a good idea. In fact I started to do that. Not the prettiest but enough to get the wires out of the way. I wanted to get a junction box but couldn't find one that the plugs would fit though. All the ones I look at were pretty big as well. I was hoping to find like a 1/2 box but couldn't. I found some plastic cover things for something else but they ended up being way to big. I also thought about making a box out of acrylic but the cost to do so would probably not be worth it. I also thought about cutting the plugs off and putting them back on but I'm not crazy about doing that. Ideally I would cut the cords and make them shorter. Then I would put that plug in a junction box that water resistant.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a manifold made and the pipes painted. That brings you guys up to date with where I'm currently at with my build.

IMG_3864.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3868.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank will be on hold for a while as we just bought a house. I’m going to redo the finished basement. Around that time I will start on the tank again. Will update when I start again.

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see more of the ATS, if and when, you get a chance. I'm going to try and make mine in the next day or so... But yours looks like a real nice build.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. A lot of people fully enclose 3D scrubbers but really don’t have to. At first I just had the drains on the sides but was told it might back the water up inside the scrubber so I added the bottom drain. The LEDs are 1w grow lights if I remember right so they are red. They only other thing I wanted to do was coat the brackets some how so they don’t rust. The brackets that came with the LEDs were to short so I had to pick up some from the hardware store and cut them to size. I also made the bracket to allow the scrubber to sit ontop of the sump.

31040EA6-7796-42F2-9554-272D80A47D70.jpeg

2401A079-2A58-4B9F-B658-64EE203C0E31.jpeg

ED23FB4D-27ED-4871-8DBA-F1AFA3B4C079.jpeg

C908D441-7AFA-4715-9255-92705FDC7C51.jpeg

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks!! That's really awesome. I just ordered some Weld-on 4. I already have the acrylic, and screen... And just got back from the LHS with some fittings and what not. I really like this design. I'll post a pic in a week or so, of what I come up with. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem.

Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really, really like the design of going across the sump. I was trying hard to decide how I was going to go about that, if I went in that direction. And you made it look a lot easier than what I was imagining. I was also thinking of doing something that would hang on the side of the sump. I may still do that, just so future reefers have the options of seeing it done two ways. But, again... I really like that setup. I'll be pulling a few of your ideas, no question. Also, f I can't get the hang-on to work, I'll be copying your idea completely. Seeing this, is a huge help.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice

I would have raised the side drain up some from the bottom though. The reason I have a second drain is for an emergency in case the main drain plugs. I would make sure those drains can keep up they look small. Once you get some growth on the screen you will get a small back in the ATS. It looks like you only have a light on one side of your ATS you will get much more growth if put a light on both sides just something to think about. You will also probably want some kind of side gards on the pipe that the screen is in to stop water from running along the side of the pipe or being able to. You might want to think about trying grow lights as well again not necessary but you will get better growth. They are cheap I think I paid $10 or $20 for mine if that. Also the LEDs will last for a long time.

Last edited:

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had planned on doing a 3rd drain, a little higher, and larger... Just haven't got the part for it yet. And if you look closely, there is an even bigger light hitting it from the right upper corner. All in all, I am happy with it, as it's my first one I ever built, and my first time working with acrylic since I was 14 in shop class, and built a wet/dry filter. I think that was in 92'. lol

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know light distance has an effect as well. To close and you will burn the algae and not close enough and you won’t get max growth.

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured as much. I was real careful with the bulb selection. The one in the back is a 2700k I think, and the lumens are like 1000 or so, so should be soft enough up close like that. The farther away one is about triple that. So, we'll see how it goes once the bacteria starts breaking down the algae pellets, shrimp, and mussel I put in the tank. I can always switch out bulbs til I get the correct growth.

Last edited:

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went deeper on that thread... I noticed he has a false bottom. I was thinking about adding one the other day. I think it would really help with the bubbles. I'll probably put a bigger fixture in the bottom, along with another one, later on to drain better... But I went with the parts I had on hand for the moment. I added some creative tubing that helped with bubbles, for a current quick solve.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured as much. I was real careful with the bulb selection. The one in the back is a 2700k I think, and the lumens are like 1000 or so, so should be soft enough up close like that. The farther away one is about triple that. So, we'll see how it goes once the bacteria starts breaking down the algae peelets, shrimp, and mussel I put in the tank. I can always switch out bulbs til I get the correct growth.

Yeah you will probably have to play around a bit to get it dialed in.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back