75 gallon reef tank - first time!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That makes so much sense. He was neurotically swimming back and forth in the small 15g, would hide in the cave whenever I walked in- would also start kicking up the sand with his tail. Now he's so confident! He has another cave hide in the DT but never really does. Calmly swims around and grazes now.
Definitely going to go the copper qt route moving forward so it's not as long of an observation period (the observation period I had planned was a lot longer but I caved because he seemed so stressed)
Predatorial fish do great in isolation. They just don't care.

When quarantining reef fish, do that with 2 at least. This brings them a sense of comfort there isn't a predator around to eat them. It's very stressful. Think about it. The city is packed with people. All of a sudden everyones gone.

Can you imagine the thoughts you'll have?

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Predatorial fish do great in isolation. They just don't care.

When quarantining reef fish, do that with 2 at least. This brings them a sense of comfort there isn't a predator around to eat them. It's very stressful. Think about it. The city is packed with people. All of a sudden everyones gone.

Can you imagine the thoughts you'll have?
AWESOME advice!! That's actually incredible helpful.
I think in terms of stocking I'd like to add:
- a pair of anthias (although I heard they do better in odd numbers? So potentially 3)
- a six-line wrasse (originally wanted a fairy but I heard six-lines are great utility fish, and still so pretty).

So maybe I'll do the anthias next, qt them all together, then find one other fish I'd like to add with the six-line so I can QT them together. Will have to get a very young six-line because I know they can have aggression issues.

Do you think anthias will be an okay addition? Or would I be better off looking at firefish or chromis

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
AWESOME advice!! That's actually incredible helpful.
I think in terms of stocking I'd like to add:
- a pair of anthias (although I heard they do better in odd numbers? So potentially 3)
- a six-line wrasse (originally wanted a fairy but I heard six-lines are great utility fish, and still so pretty).

So maybe I'll do the anthias next, qt them all together, then find one other fish I'd like to add with the six-line so I can QT them together. Will have to get a very young six-line because I know they can have aggression issues.

Do you think anthias will be an okay addition? Or would I be better off looking at firefish or chromis
You'll want to ask about species, some will do fine. Others will kill each other off until 1 remains left.

6line can become a demon. You can also get yellow canary wrasse, or the silver belly for utility. They are far less aggressive.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to ask about species, some will do fine. Others will kill each other off until 1 remains left.

6line can become a demon. You can also get yellow canary wrasse, or the silver belly for utility. They are far less aggressive.
Thanks for the recommendations! I will def look into those wrasse, definitely don't have time for demonic fishies. I'm going through your build thread right now, only on page 12, but I am obsessed with your tank and BTA!! Really makes me want one but I'm terrified of putting one in my DT...

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was talking with friends
Thanks for the recommendations! I will def look into those wrasse, definitely don't have time for demonic fishies. I'm going through your build thread right now, only on page 12, but I am obsessed with your tank and BTA!! Really makes me want one but I'm terrified of putting one in my DT...
Understood. They can leave a path of destruction.
From a past experiance, and a few others. Lots of hiding spaces to keep peace between anthias. Bimacs seem to fair better. However, they need a bigger tank for 3 or more.. if i recall.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking with friends

Understood. They can leave a path of destruction.
From a past experiance, and a few others. Lots of hiding spaces to keep peace between anthias. Bimacs seem to fair better. However, they need a bigger tank for 3 or more.. if i recall.
Would I be better of just doing one anthias? Bimacs are beautiful!!! I would do a bimac or lyretail. Need to research both species more to determine best care, but definitely not set on doing a certain quantity of them if it will cause an issue

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would I be better of just doing one anthias? Bimacs are beautiful!!! I would do a bimac or lyretail. Need to research both species more to determine best care, but definitely not set on doing a certain quantity of them if it will cause an issue
1 would be best for anthias. You could add wrasse in the equation. 2 to 3 different species for color and personality.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 would be best for anthias. You could add wrasse in the equation. 2 to 3 different species for color and personality.
I like that better, 1 anthias and 1 utility wrasse. Then I can probably still do a fairy wrasse! Anthias will be my next, thinking of ordering from Dr Reef this time for a pre-quarantined fish.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please excuse the poor video, the light from the window creates a glare :/ I swear the photo/video content of this thread will improve hehe, for now here's my tang grazing abouts the tank! :D

Dan_Reef87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! I’m still in the setup phase of my 75 gallon project. Waiting for parts but should be able to start adding water soon! I love the flat rock that you have on the right side that makes a peak.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! I’m still in the setup phase of my 75 gallon project. Waiting for parts but should be able to start adding water soon! I love the flat rock that you have on the right side that makes a peak.
Thanks so much!! How's your build project going? Are you doing a sump for your 75?

Dan_Reef87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m doing a sump, it was a used setup and I’m just waiting on a return pump and sand and I’ll be able to start adding water. I’ve been working on rock placement tonight

Attachments

• 38A99471-607C-4BD7-8168-C960B964A62A.jpeg
    38A99471-607C-4BD7-8168-C960B964A62A.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m doing a sump, it was a used setup and I’m just waiting on a return pump and sand and I’ll be able to start adding water. I’ve been working on rock placement tonight
Wow looking awesome!!! Looking forward to following your build. I want to do a sump, right now I have the aqua max hob protein skimmer (I believe the bullet 3) and a generic hob filter. Sump seems so much better for overall long term care. And would make water changes a bit easier

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to try and get some better shots of Tomas. I'm a software engineer and trying to get a picture of this fish was easily the hardest thing I did all day...

Crazy to see how much his color has changed already! He was so pale in the pictures from the day he arrived. He's doing so well :')

You can also see the algae wall in the back finally getting thinner! Not gonna clean it any time soon so he can keep chowing down, so hopefully it doesn't look too bad.

IMG_2309_prnkmu.jpg

IMG_2318_nq4jeh.jpg
IMG_2312_u5vari.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back