OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been toying with changing the setup for my canister filter. Right now the pans have (from bottom to top) a large debris sponge, carbon, bioballs, and ceramic rings. I've got a touch over 40 lbs of live rock, so the bioballs might be a tad redundant. looking to add a nitrate and phosphate remover in one or two of the pans. any thoughts on this? any ideas which phosphate or nitrate removers might work best for this?

Edit: It also has floss over the top of it all, I just forgot to mention since thats not really something that can be replaces with a nitrate or phosphate filter

Edit 2: accidentally put 20 lbs of live rock, its actually 40lbs of live rock. also, not 100% sure its live, one of the rocks is a live rock, the rest is Carribsea Life rock, and I have no idea if it's cultured yet (other than ammonia is 0 and nitrates are about 20 last I checked. did a 13.3% water change since then)

Last edited:

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my canisters I used these and just cut to fit.

Sometimes you can find them already cut for your filter type. They worked well for me. I would probably ditch one of the two sponges (just going by what picture the manufacturer posts) and have 1 sponge then medium to fine filter floss. Next tray put phosphate / Nitrate pads depending on how the water tests. Low nitrates I would put carbon pad instead. I would keep the balls and ceramic. Followed by a fine filter. This is the way I had mine setup in the past. It workd for me.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my canisters I used these and just cut to fit.

Sometimes you can find them already cut for your filter type. They worked well for me. I would probably ditch one of the two sponges (just going by what picture the manufacturer posts) and have 1 sponge then medium to fine filter floss. Next tray put phosphate / Nitrate pads depending on how the water tests. Low nitrates I would put carbon pad instead. I would keep the balls and ceramic. Followed by a fine filter. This is the way I had mine setup in the past. It workd for me.

Mine just has the one sponge and then carbon, then balls, then ceramic, then floss. The link you put in doesn't work for me, but I would definitely like to take a look

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh shoot, my LFS actually sells these exact ones. definitely might pick one up. any thoughts on adding a nitrate remover with it?

Edit: I mean like, could I actually get one of their phosphate reducer pads and one of their nitrate reducer pads and put both in in place of the current sponge?

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh shoot, my LFS actually sells these exact ones. definitely might pick one up. any thoughts on adding a nitrate remover with it?

Edit: I mean like, could I actually get one of their phosphate reducer pads and one of their nitrate reducer pads and put both in in place of the current sponge?
Yes that would work

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so here is what I am thinking right now. I havent bought any yet, but I went to my LFS to see what they had in these pads. they have phosphate, nitrate, ammonia, and carbon filter pads. I'm thinking of removing the bottom sponge and cutting each of these to shape and stacking them all up to make up the bottom sponge, then leaving the carbon bags as a bag layer that I can throw extra stuff into on the fly if needed, and leave the bioballs and ceramic rings alone. sound like a good idea?

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so here is what I am thinking right now. I havent bought any yet, but I went to my LFS to see what they had in these pads. they have phosphate, nitrate, ammonia, and carbon filter pads. I'm thinking of removing the bottom sponge and cutting each of these to shape and stacking them all up to make up the bottom sponge, then leaving the carbon bags as a bag layer that I can throw extra stuff into on the fly if needed, and leave the bioballs and ceramic rings alone. sound like a good idea?
Sounds good. The only thing I could suggest would be testing the water first and see which pads the water needs and then only use those. As the water changes just switch up the pads as needed. For example you would want to waste a nitrate pad if you didn't need to remove any nitrates.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. The only thing I could suggest would be testing the water first and see which pads the water needs and then only use those. As the water changes just switch up the pads as needed. For example you would want to waste a nitrate pad if you didn't need to remove any nitrates.
While I understand the point, I have been testing for nitrate and its been creeping up. will test for phosphate before putting that one in

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got my new Test kit and you all will be happy to know that it was in fact a bad batch of test solution on the calcium, I am currently at ~420. My phosphate is higher than I would like, so I will put in that pad as well (0.25ppm). however my main concern now is apparently yesterday my Nitrite spiked! I have no idea why, but will be taking corrective measures on that immediately

Edit: Tips on how to handle that beyond water changes would be helpful. I'm at about 1 ppm. I know in fresh water when they're cycling thats not ideal but not an emergency, but don't know for salt water. Are there nitrite removers that are safe to use with salt water?

Last edited:

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got my new Test kit and you all will be happy to know that it was in fact a bad batch of test solution on the calcium, I am currently at ~420. My phosphate is higher than I would like, so I will put in that pad as well (0.25ppm). however my main concern now is apparently yesterday my Nitrite spiked! I have no idea why, but will be taking corrective measures on that immediately

Edit: Tips on how to handle that beyond water changes would be helpful. I'm at about 1 ppm. I know in fresh water when they're cycling thats not ideal but not an emergency, but don't know for salt water. Are there nitrite removers that are safe to use with salt water?

Beyond water changes get something like seachem prime

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond water changes get something like seachem prime

Thank you. I think I remember seeing this at the LFS, will pick some up! also, you all will be happy to know that prime day is pretty awesome, and I picked up an RODI unit for 50 bucks. only does 75GPD, but I don't see that as a huge problem since I can store RODI for a while

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large multi use filter housing. You can also get refillable cartridges for it. What I had in mind was extending my air intake for my skimmer so it get outside air directly. Using this filter with carbon to remove any toxins and then I already have the same housing with co2 scrubber cartridge. So the Air to the skimmer will be as best as I can get it.

20201015_110937.jpg

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large multi use filter housing. You can also get refillable cartridges for it. What I had in mind was extending my air intake for my skimmer so it get outside air directly. Using this filter with carbon to remove any toxins and then I already have the same housing with co2 scrubber cartridge. So the Air to the skimmer will be as best as I can get it.

20201015_110937.jpg
There is apparently still a LOT I have to learn XD

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention this morning I tested and the nitrites were still high, so I ordered some of Dr. Tims One and Only overnight to help bring down the nitrite. am going to the store after class to get some of the seachem prime

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back