75 Gallon Upgrade

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by themadman, May 16, 2017.

1. themadman

themadman Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Been on R2R and in the salt game for a little over a year so still a rookie for the most part! Started with a 60 cube. Build thread here:

60 gallon reef cube build

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/60-gallon-reef-cube-build.241742/

Decided I wanted to go with a longer tank for more coral and fish real estate and I like the dimensions of the 75 gallon tanks so doing a slight upgrade. Going from 60 up to 75 gallons plus a larger sump so getting a little more water volume but not a massive increase. Unfortunately, as far as ease of upgrade, the new tank has to go where the old one sits now. So I will have to break down old tank, place its inhabitants into totes, set up new tank, then transfer rocks, fish, and coral into new tank. I will eventually be posting some goodies from the old tank for sale. I'm re-using a few things from it but also splurged on some upgrades I certainly could have done without. ;)

Tank is a Deep Blue RR Edge 75. Top is rimless but bottom has a rim. Regretting this choice a tiny bit due to the size of the overflow on these tanks but not enough to switch it up. I bought a Tunze rock magnetic frag rack to stick to the overflow so going to try to take advantage of that lost space.

Custom built stand. Made by the same local woodworker who made my 60 cube stand. He does awesome work and he has tanks so he knows what is required from a weight bearing standpoint.

Trigger Emerald 34 sump. Really excited about some of the added features compared to my current Ruby Cube 20 sump.

Trigger Emerald 3.5L dosing container.

Trigger Ruby 5 gallon ATO reservoir (off old build).

Icecap K2-120 protein skimmer (off old build. Going to see if it's big enough for new system and upgrade if needed. It's rated for 75 gallon with heavy load so hopefully it'll do the job).

2 - Vortech MP40 wireless QD.

Ecotech Vectra M1 return pump. (Upgrading from current Reef Octopus 3500 DC. I like the idea of being able to hook the Vectra up to battery backup and now I have a really nice backup with the Reef Octopus).

2 - Radion XR15w Pro G4 w/ RMS mounts.

Ecotech Reeflink and Battery backup. (off old build).

Tunze Osmolator ATO (off old build).

Emperor Aquatics Smart UV Lite 25W UV w/ Sicce silent 3.0 pump. (off old build).

Neptune Systems Apex Controller new model with FMK.

Finnex Titanium hmo-200 heater. (off old build).

BRS mini media reactor. (off old build. Debating getting an Avast Marine Spyglass media reactor to use instead if I have room in the sump).

I think that sums up most of the equipment. A couple of small changes for new tank that I regretted doing or not doing on old one:

Using all new sand but not going with a DSB on new tank. Should only be 1" to 1 1/2". I haven't had any issues with my current DSB and it seems to be working as they are intended. I just don't want to be limited on what fish or critters I can put in the tank that might disturb the DSB. Also the new tank is 20" tall instead of 24" so don't want to give up that real estate.

Also going to paint the back of this tank black. Old tank was left clear.

I'm going to use Marine Pure blocks and spheres in new sump versus sand in the old sump refugium. Thought long and hard about this due to seeing possible aluminum leeching from Marine Pure but I see too many beautiful tanks utilizing it and I like the benefits it adds.

Tags:
  2. themadman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tank and new stand before it was painted. More pics to follow.

Ty Hamatake likes this.
  3. themadman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stand painted and sump sitting in its home! Progress!

Ty Hamatake and oneilwiz like this.
  4. themadman

[​IMG]

Got this sign made to hang above the new tank. Ellie's Island in Madden Bay. Both my kid's names with their birthdays as the coordinates.

Scurvy and Ty Hamatake like this.
  5. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member Article Contributor

That is one nice build. Great job on the stand.:)

themadman likes this.
  6. themadman

Thank you! Lots more to do, but that's half the fun! :)

jsker likes this.
  7. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member Article Contributor

It kind like anything else, we are alway tinkering with it. :rolleyes:

themadman likes this.
  8. Clayton Jessup

Clayton Jessup Well-Known Member

This looks really nice I am looking forward to this , I am setting up a 75g tank as well , just a standard tank with me though.

themadman likes this.
  9. Reef_Pilot

Reef_Pilot Member

I really like how you have the Controller area separated from the sump area in the stand, and was planning on something very similar when I build mine.

themadman likes this.
  10. themadman

Thank you! I'll keep the pictures and details coming!

Clayton Jessup likes this.
  11. oneilwiz

oneilwiz Well-Known Member

Following on nice build. I indeed had the Deep blue tank due to the overflow taking up the space. I have the same. Love your stand sweet setup. [​IMG][​IMG]

jsker, Clayton Jessup and themadman like this.
  12. themadman

Thank you! Your tank looks sweet! Do you have a build thread link I can check out? Always like seeing how other people set up especially since the same tank.

jsker likes this.
  13. oneilwiz

Sorry I don't I have been meaning to get to it as I changed up a lot due to tank crash recently. Real soon...

themadman likes this.
  14. themadman

Cool, let me know when you have some stuff posted up.

15. Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member

This is really creative! I'm going to have to think up something along these lines. Thanks for the idea! Good looking setup too btw :)

Clayton Jessup and themadman like this.
  16. themadman

Thank you! Can't wait to hang it up soon! :)

17. themadman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back of the tank is painted. Turned out pretty nice. Pic attached of the paint I used. Same stuff they recommended on the @BRS video about painting tanks. I taped off behind the overflow. Couldn't really decide whether I wanted to or if it will ever matter but I wanted to be able to get a good look at bulkheads if I need to.

18. themadman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vectra M1 in its new home. I got the screen and barb kit for it. It definitely isn't the best fit like you will read on any reviews. A little sanding and I got it to snug down good. I used this ABS to PVC cement from Home Depot to glue it.

oneilwiz and Ty Hamatake like this.
  19. themadman

I'm trying to pre-install as much as I can and get plumbing plan/cutting all done before I tear the old tank down. So that way the new setup will hopefully be much faster and rocks, fish, and coral won't have to be in totes for too long. I decided (also from watching @BRS videos) that since I've got the extra power on the M1 I'm going to run my UV off of it as well. It's going to be a challenge fitting the valves along with FMK flow sensors for UV and return though. Still not sure how that is going to work out. The outlet for UV will be back by filter socks. That's how @BRS had theirs set up. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me! Lol.

Ty Hamatake likes this.
  20. oneilwiz

themadman likes this.