75 gallong "grazer" fish

ajax969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for ideas on a "grazing" fish for my tank.

Not super sold on Bristletooth tangs, had a tomini in my wife's tank it was ok but but looking for something with a little more color. Also not looking to spend big money on a single fish either. I have been looking at dwarf angels but wanting to make sure it's more on the docile side. I have read a little saying Eibli are some of the less aggressive angels out there but wanted to get other people's opinions.

For some reason I have this crazy idea about one or two damsels, something in the azure or yellowtail variety. I see them in a bunch of the frag tanks at a LFS and think possibly they could make it in my tank but then that calls into the question that whole "non-aggressive" factor that I am looking for.

Hoping some people with more first hand experience might be able to point me in a direction or talk some sense into me as far as my expectations go.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Vox and Indian Ocean Flameback Angelfish do a lot of Grazing, neither bother the Corals. Yellow Tang grazes, mostly on Algae. I have a Bristletooth Tang, in another Aquarium. He does very little grazing, mostly lives off of Fish Food. A Neon Dottyback eats Bristle Worms, and Pods.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for ideas on a "grazing" fish for my tank.

Not super sold on Bristletooth tangs, had a tomini in my wife's tank it was ok but but looking for something with a little more color. Also not looking to spend big money on a single fish either. I have been looking at dwarf angels but wanting to make sure it's more on the docile side. I have read a little saying Eibli are some of the less aggressive angels out there but wanted to get other people's opinions.

For some reason I have this crazy idea about one or two damsels, something in the azure or yellowtail variety. I see them in a bunch of the frag tanks at a LFS and think possibly they could make it in my tank but then that calls into the question that whole "non-aggressive" factor that I am looking for.

Hoping some people with more first hand experience might be able to point me in a direction or talk some sense into me as far as my expectations go.
What are the dimensions of the tank?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a lawnmower blenny, when you get a good one, they are great. Once established in a mature tank, they will work hard. You must have a mature tank with micro algae or they will starve, you can get them eating enough alternate algae foods over time.

OP
OP
ajax969

ajax969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a lawnmower blenny, when you get a good one, they are great. Once established in a mature tank, they will work hard. You must have a mature tank with micro algae or they will starve, you can get them eating enough alternate algae foods over time.
I've thought about one of those. My wife has a starry blenny and he is a character for sure. This is a bit shallow of me but I have never been a huge fan of their coloration. I was looking at an Ember Blenny at one time but they are a bit outside what I am willing to spend on a fish currently.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about one of those. My wife has a starry blenny and he is a character for sure. This is a bit shallow of me but I have never been a huge fan of their coloration. I was looking at an Ember Blenny at one time but they are a bit outside what I am willing to spend on a fish currently.

Are you looking for a worker or a beauty queen, hahaha. But they also have a personality, does your starry work for you. Do you have any turbo snails.

OP
OP
ajax969

ajax969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking for a worker or a beauty queen, hahaha. But they also have a personality, does your starry work for you. Do you have any turbo snails.
The starry works his butt off probably more than anyone in my wife's 150 haha. I just added a few snails to my 75 yesterday to help with a little bit of algae growth. I don't have a whole heck of a lot so I was using this time to mull over my choices since there isn't a dire need for someone right now.

I will admit I am being a bit picky but I am just trying to find a good balance between looks and usefulness. Also trying to avoid having the same fish as my wife's tank that way it's something different to look at when you go into the other room.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back