OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a perfect plan…variety is the spice:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I’ve seen that tank before, It’s a lifegard 3.74 gallon. I really like those, not to mention the beautiful coral collection. I’m waiting till nicer weather for a coral order. Probably get my tank finally filled with water later today:face-in-clouds:
Agreed! And yes that tank is amazing, I really love how colorful it is.

Good luck with getting your tank wet! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After adjusting the light a bit most of the struggling corals are finally happier! The white Alveopora and the few of the zoas are still a bit sad but I'll keep monitoring them and maybe try moving them if they don't improve.

1673896447538.png

1673896489756.png

1673896506324.png

And, the purple sponge has been pearling lately? Is this a thing??? :face-with-monocle:
1673896794681.png

I'm still considering an emerald crab and probably a tiiiiiny goby (I have my eyes on Trimma tevegae), finally some Cerith snails and probably a couple of money cowries. I'm pretty much convinced and lately I've been seeing a good amount of copepods on the glass which is amazing, but I'll probably wait until the weather is warmer and I'll have some live food cultures set up though.

Right now I'm trying to find some blue mushrooms to fill this spot down here:
1673895745910.png

And I'm seriously considering something to fill this space on the back. But what?
1673895794114.png

I'd like to have something back there to hide the pump and maybe poke a little from the back when I look at the tank from the front. I've considered:
  • a torch coral? Maybe not a good idea because I'd like to stick to softies as much as possible, and it's aggressive so it would probably end up stinging everything, right?
  • a toadstool mushroom with long polyps? I've read that Sarcophyton isn't aggressive
  • a bush of Gracilaria hayi? I already have some, but it will take a while to grow it big enough
Any suggestions or ideas?
I think all those ideas sounds good. I have really enjoyed having sexy shrimp and a Pom Pom crab, so that’s worth considering as well

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all those ideas sounds good. I have really enjoyed having sexy shrimp and a Pom Pom crab, so that’s worth considering as well
I do have sexies! Five of them, had them for almost two years now and they're adorable. Very well behaved too as long as I feed them. :)

I considered a Pom Pom crab a couple of times but right now I'm focused on CUC and those crabs don't eat algae. Maybe in the future. Thanks for the suggestion though!

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well apparently there's no way I'm going to find all the animals I'm looking for in a single store around here, so I'll have to deal with multiple shipments and the relative cost.

The store where I found the Sinularia and the blue Discosoma can't get me snails or crabs, but I decided I'll get the corals anyway. Meanwhile I found another store that has both Cerith snails, emerald crabs and Trimma tevegae, and they might be able to find me some money cowries as well. I'd really like to get the snails and the crab ASAP to control algae though, the more time goes by without an appropriate CUC the more I risk an invasion. Now I'm really torn between three options:
  1. order snails and crab now, pay for another shipment in a couple of months for the fish (it's pretty cold right now)
  2. order now CUC, a fish, some live and frozen food, hope for good weather, set up live food cultures later
  3. set up some live food cultures now, order CUC and fish in a couple of months, hope that algae won't grow too much meanwhile
On top of that I've been reconsidering Trimma tevegae. They're cute but short lived, and pricey. Maybe it would be better going for a Gobiodon okinawae (yellow clown goby), which is small, can live for years and is slightly cheaper.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m finding the same issue. Can’t seem to get it all at one vendor. I had a trimma long ago, he didn’t last more than a year and disappeared. Not sure why?

I personally will be looking for a yellow clown goby or even a Tailspot blenny. I would recommend the clown goby. They are so cute and enjoyable to watch, imo.

I would just manually remove as much algae until it gets warm enough to order online. I’m in same boat, very cold rn.

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m finding the same issue. Can’t seem to get it all at one vendor
Annoying, isn't it?

I had a trimma long ago, he didn’t last more than a year and disappeared. Not sure why?
I've read their max lifespan is about 20 months so probably that's why. The yellow clown goby at least can live for years.

I would just manually remove as much algae until it gets warm enough to order online.
Yep that's what I've been doing for months, but especially BA is hard to keep under control. I remove a bunch during my weekly water change and yet it keeps popping up everywhere. Last time I tried keeping it under control by manual removal I ended up with BA everywhere and the rip cleaning at the beginning of this thread... I should check with the store, they know what temperatures are safe for shipping.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, very annoying :face-with-tears-of-joy:

interesting, did not know that about trimma. Thanks.

I’ve ordered in the winter before and I guess never lost anything:dizzy-face:Bags were noticeably colder though.

I feel like a healthy tank has some random algae issues here and there anyway. Too clean and I had issues with un happy corals.

good luck can’t wait to see the new goodies:)

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well apparently there's no way I'm going to find all the animals I'm looking for in a single store around here, so I'll have to deal with multiple shipments and the relative cost.

The store where I found the Sinularia and the blue Discosoma can't get me snails or crabs, but I decided I'll get the corals anyway. Meanwhile I found another store that has both Cerith snails, emerald crabs and Trimma tevegae, and they might be able to find me some money cowries as well. I'd really like to get the snails and the crab ASAP to control algae though, the more time goes by without an appropriate CUC the more I risk an invasion. Now I'm really torn between three options:
  1. order snails and crab now, pay for another shipment in a couple of months for the fish (it's pretty cold right now)
  2. order now CUC, a fish, some live and frozen food, hope for good weather, set up live food cultures later
  3. set up some live food cultures now, order CUC and fish in a couple of months, hope that algae won't grow too much meanwhile
On top of that I've been reconsidering Trimma tevegae. They're cute but short lived, and pricey. Maybe it would be better going for a Gobiodon okinawae (yellow clown goby), which is small, can live for years and is slightly cheaper.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
My yellow clown goby is one of my absolute favorite fish. They have more personality than a trimma goby and you will see it out more

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow clown goby is one of my absolute favorite fish. They have more personality than a trimma goby and you will see it out more

Shakes is so cute! I really like yellow clown gobies and I was strongly leaning towards one until I discovered the two spot blenny (Ecsenius bimaculatus). It's about the same size, can live 2-3 years, it's not a fussy eater and it eats algae so could be a pretty helpful addition to my tank!

It's less colorful than the clown goby, but I don't mind. So now I'm trying to decide between the two. Choices, choices :grinning-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, I finally ordered a Sinularia, a blue mushroom and (I couldn't resist) a GSP. I had one in the previous iteration of my tank and it melted, but my parameters were bonkers back then so decided I should try again. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I'm quite busy this week though so I asked the store to hold them for me and ship next week so I won't have to rush the acclimation.

Pictures don't really do my tank justice so I put together a little video. I really wish I had a good camera to use instead of my phone, I'm working on it.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, I finally ordered a Sinularia, a blue mushroom and (I couldn't resist) a GSP. I had one in the previous iteration of my tank and it melted, but my parameters were bonkers back then so decided I should try again. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I'm quite busy this week though so I asked the store to hold them for me and ship next week so I won't have to rush the acclimation.

Pictures don't really do my tank justice so I put together a little video. I really wish I had a good camera to use instead of my phone, I'm working on it.

Curious to see what the Sinularia is going to look like!!

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have good news and bad news.

Good news is that I finally found a NSLFS (not so local fish store) that has some emerald crabs and could get me a yellow clown goby and/or a two spot blenny (seriously considering getting them both). No ceriths and no money cowries, and it's an hour drive to get there which is probably more expensive than shipping, but at least I can see the animals and get them home safely without worrying about the cold and potential delays.

Bad news is, the store owner told me that since January there's a new law that bans almost every animal import from abroad. Which sucks, this means the only corals/inverts/fish that will be available from now on will be locally captive bred ones, very little choice and very high prices. Even breeding previously acquired non whitelisted animals could be illegal now. Soooo... well looks like buying online is not an option anymore, and the NSLFS is my only hope. I will rush and get all the CUC I can put my hands on while they're still around, this might be my last chance.

I'm pretty bummed so let's lighten the mood with today's FTS
1674912891640.png

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New corals and new CUC!

professor farnsworth futurama GIF

Even with this cold, everything I ordered arrived a little chilly but fine in the end. New additions:
  • 5 small cerith snails (got one free!)
  • 2 money cowries (Monetaria annulus), I love those little buggers
  • 1 astraea snail (because why not)
  • 1 GSP
  • 1 sinularia
  • 1 blue mushroom
1675515651095.png
1675515692701.png
1675515716965.png

The sinularia is... brown. :expressionless-face: Oh well, that will teach me I shouldn't buy from stores that take awful pics. I see a hint of green on the polyps, I wonder if the color will improve with time. If not, no big deal. I'm going to stick it in the back anyway. I'm absolutely in love with that blue mushroom though, I'll have to glue it on the rock soon... as you can see, it doesn't like the flow in that spot at all.

I couldn't find a store that had both ceriths and cowries so I had to pay two separate shipments to get them. I'm pretty sure I'm now the proud owner of the most expensive snails ever bought. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

The NSLFS called, their supplier postponed the last shipment because of the cold, so it will take a while for them to get those emerald crabs. Manual removal for BA is a chore but I'm kinda used to it by now.

I've been trying to identify and find a way to manage the algae that has been plaguing my tank since I got it 3 years ago. Aside from BA there are three other kinds of algae that are getting rather annoying. I've been experimenting with peroxide treatments, I'll update here with the results but it does look promising even with BA.

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After adjusting the light a bit most of the struggling corals are finally happier! The white Alveopora and the few of the zoas are still a bit sad but I'll keep monitoring them and maybe try moving them if they don't improve.

1673896447538.png

1673896489756.png

1673896506324.png

And, the purple sponge has been pearling lately? Is this a thing??? :face-with-monocle:
1673896794681.png

I'm still considering an emerald crab and probably a tiiiiiny goby (I have my eyes on Trimma tevegae), finally some Cerith snails and probably a couple of money cowries. I'm pretty much convinced and lately I've been seeing a good amount of copepods on the glass which is amazing, but I'll probably wait until the weather is warmer and I'll have some live food cultures set up though.

Right now I'm trying to find some blue mushrooms to fill this spot down here:
1673895745910.png

And I'm seriously considering something to fill this space on the back. But what?
1673895794114.png

I'd like to have something back there to hide the pump and maybe poke a little from the back when I look at the tank from the front. I've considered:
  • a torch coral? Maybe not a good idea because I'd like to stick to softies as much as possible, and it's aggressive so it would probably end up stinging everything, right?
  • a toadstool mushroom with long polyps? I've read that Sarcophyton isn't aggressive
  • a bush of Gracilaria hayi? I already have some, but it will take a while to grow it big enough
Any suggestions or ideas?
A photosynthetic gorgonian could look really cool there, add some height, structure and texture. Plenty options to choose from too

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A photosynthetic gorgonian could look really cool there, add some height, structure and texture. Plenty options to choose from too
That might be nice. I think I'll have a look at the NSLFS once they get the crabs and fish I'm waiting for and see what's available. I'm done with online orders for a while.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi… just dumped on board and read through your thread. Nice work putting things together and making the system to your liking!

Congrats on the newest additions! I’m a fan of GSP although many are not. Have you considered placing the GSP in the left, rear corner and letting it climb a portion of the rear wall?

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi… just dumped on board and read through your thread. Nice work putting things together and making the system to your liking!

Congrats on the newest additions! I’m a fan of GSP although many are not. Have you considered placing the GSP in the left, rear corner and letting it climb a portion of the rear wall?
Thanks! It's a work in progress but I'll get it where I want it eventually. :)

I did consider that but I really like the contrast between the rock/corals and the black background. I like GSP walls but I don't want to lose the contrast.

Yesterday I glued it on the back rock but I might have to move it, it doesn't look like it has enough flow there:
1675597878642.jpeg

saltnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this thread. Fantastic job designing and putting this tank together. Obtaining livestock is a much bigger challenge than it was pre-pandemic. Especially when you have something specific in mind. Following along.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back