80.20 designs?

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about going with 8020 for my next tank stand and I could use some advice. I have not worked with this stuff and would love to crib off of someone else's notes. I would be even more excited to steal someone else's parts list! I am also curious about how to nicely attach the skin to the tank. I have used magnets on my tanks where I used the rocket design, but they have always looked a little rough.

Thank you in advance!

- LBR

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you committed to using the name brand or are you just looking to do an extruded aluminum stand in general? There are a plethora of vendors out there offering extruded aluminum parts and services. The 80/20 website is quite unfriendly if you're unfamiliar with the materials and/or structural design and they often don't end up being the low cost provider, but it's still possible. I did my own design in Autodesk fusion and then let framingtech. Com figure out the connections. I could have, but it wasn't worth my time. What size tank are you building for? The larger the tank the less forgiving it can be, but for tanks under 100 gallons (I'm generalizing here) the weight for the materials used isn't so bad. I did one for a 180 and it turned out amazing.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few that I'm aware of are:

us.misumi. They have some preconfigured stands based on standard tank sizes.

FramingTech. They also have prefigured sizes, far more than misumi and are super good at dealing with custom orders, quick turn around as well.

T-Nutz, low prices can configure individual pieces, but depending on your design complexity you may have to contact them directly.

Most offer anodizing and powder coating services, but you'll see your stand prices soar outside of clear or black.

I think for your tank size you have a lot of latitude for design. 1 1/2" or 40mm square tubing should suffice.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very much for a smaller tank, and still unfinished (as in I didn't set it up yet, it sits empty, oops), but this was my process for a 20g. Its way way overbuilt for a 20g, but being able to configure sections internally was huge for me:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back