80 gallon nano possum wrasse haeven stocking plan

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything labeled as already in my nano will be going into the 95 gallon as I will be breaking down my nano and putting everything in the bigger tank.

Thanks for the info about the yellow candy hogfish, I will 100% be taking that off the list.

What are your opinions on 3 small possum wrasse, 3 small pink streaked wrasse, a carpenters flasher wrasse and a yellow coris wrasse?
I'm still on the fence about 3 possums, but give it a shot. Otherwise the rest of your wrasse plans are all fine.

p.s. I'd reconsider the valentini puffer if you want to keep all those neat shrimp on your list ;)

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still on the fence about 3 possums, but give it a shot. Otherwise the rest of your wrasse plans are all fine.

p.s. I'd reconsider the valentini puffer if you want to keep all those neat shrimp on your list ;)
Ohh ok, these little shrimp are posing quite a problem :angry-face: haha I'm just kidding but I guess ill have to remove that little guy too. I was really wanting to keep a hawkfish too but that wouldn't end well. Do you happen to have any other ideas of fish that could be ok?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh ok, these little shrimp are posing quite a problem :angry-face: haha I'm just kidding but I guess ill have to remove that little guy too. I was really wanting to keep a hawkfish too but that wouldn't end well. Do you happen to have any other ideas of fish that could be ok?
I'd probably just leave those sexy shrimp in your nano if you can. If you end up getting the yellow coris it will eat them; the possums and pink streaks have the potential to eat them, too. You're planning a lot of fish that are jumpers, this tank will have a lid, correct? If so, you can add 2 or 3 more flasher wrasse species. They'll occupy the mid and upper water column since most of the fish you have planned will hang around the rocks.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably just leave those sexy shrimp in your nano if you can. If you end up getting the yellow coris it will eat them; the possums and pink streaks have the potential to eat them, too. You're planning a lot of fish that are jumpers, this tank will have a lid, correct? If so, you can add 2 or 3 more flasher wrasse species. They'll occupy the mid and upper water column since most of the fish you have planned will hang around the rocks.
The thing is I won't really have the nano anymore, could I sup them and feed them occasionally?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is I won't really have the nano anymore, could I sup them and feed them occasionally?
Sumping them would be probably lead to their demise just skip the yellow coris. If you're considering one for coral pest control the pink streaks will provide that service.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumping them would be probably lead to their demise just skip the yellow coris. If you're considering one for coral pest control the pink streaks will provide that service.
No I just like the look of them :)
If it isn't too much to ask do you think you would be able to come up with a stocking list of your own for a tank this size keeping the fish I already have in my nano in mind?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it isn't too much to ask do you think you would be able to come up with a stocking list of your own for a tank this size keeping the fish I already have in my nano in mind?
This is your tank so you pick the fish that appeal to you :) my role is to provide help when needed.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the fact that the idea os only small, peaceful fish that are found in/around Indonesia?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thanks. I don’t seem to be able to find any other flashers other than carpenters flasher wrasse so should I maybe go for a group of three of them?
No, can't have more than 1 of each species of flasher. Same species males are intolerant of each other. How about fairy wrasses? Do any of those show up in the markets there?

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3x Yellow banded possum wrasse
3x Juvenile pink streak wrasse
1x Carpenter’s flasher wrasse
1x Yellow stripe clingfish (Arriving soon for my pico/nano depending on size)
1x Blue stripe pipefish (Already in my nano)
1x Juvenile mandarin dragonet (Already in my nano)
2x Baby clown fish (Already in my nano) (Potentially being removed from the list) (These little clown have actually been really nice and haven’t been mean to anyone even super sensitive small fish so I think they deserve their spot :) )
1x Small yellow candy hogfish
1x Small lawnmower blenny (Already in my nano)
5x Small pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
1x Black clown goby
1x Yasha hase goby
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby
3x Purple firefish
3x Red firefish

Inverts:
6x Turbo snails (Already in my nano)
5x Nassarius snails (Already in my nano)
10x Sexy shrimp (Already in my nano)
1x Small skunk cleaner shrimp (Already in my nano)
2x Candycane pistol shrimp (One already in my pico but I really like it there and I think I’ll let it stay there)
1x Peppermint shrimp (Already in my nano) (I am pretty sure he isn’t a true peppermint but all my aptasia did mysteriously disappear never to be seen again after he was added :thinking-face: )
2x Fighting conch
1x Blue tuxedo urchin (Already in my nano)
2x Small bubble tip anemone (Already in my nano) (Potentially being removed from the list) (Same as the clowns)

Last edited:
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, can't have more than 1 of each species of flasher. Same species males are intolerant of each other. How about fairy wrasses? Do any of those show up in the markets there?
Ooh, yeah, we get heaps and heaps of Naoko fairy wrasse, some pink banded fairy wrasse, read head fairy wrasse, Lubbock’s fairy wrasse and blue head fairy wrasse.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking 3 red firefish and three purple because I actually cant get helfrichi. How does that shound?
Only the Red Firefish are communal and even then, groups often fail in captivity. It’s best to stick to pairs of each and hope the two species don’t collide.
Everything labeled as already in my nano will be going into the 95 gallon as I will be breaking down my nano and putting everything in the bigger tank.

Thanks for the info about the yellow candy hogfish, I will 100% be taking that off the list.

What are your opinions on 3 small possum wrasse, 3 small pink streaked wrasse, a carpenters flasher wrasse and a yellow coris wrasse?
I’ve found trios of Pink Streaks fail in the long term, the same will likely occur with Wetmorella species. I don’t know if it was due to the lack of territory in my tank however a trio failed, I believe it was due to a mix of things from;
Males/more than 3 not getting along as well as the fact I may have just got hold of a bad specimen.
Alright, thanks. I don’t seem to be able to find any other flashers other than carpenters flasher wrasse so should I maybe go for a group of three of them?
again, trios (and even pairs) of Flashers fail long term, they all just become males and fight to the death in the end unfortunately.
The same occurs with Cirrhilabrus and Halichoeres species.

3x Yellow banded possum wrasse
3x Juvenile pink streak wrasse
1x Carpenter’s flasher wrasse
1x Yellow stripe clingfish (Arriving soon for my pico/nano depending on size)
1x Blue stripe pipefish (Already in my nano)
1x Juvenile mandarin dragonet (Already in my nano)
2x Baby clown fish (Already in my nano) (Potentially being removed from the list) (These little clown have actually been really nice and haven’t been mean to anyone even super sensitive small fish so I think they deserve their spot :) )
1x Small yellow candy hogfish
1x Small lawnmower blenny (Already in my nano)
5x Small pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
1x Black clown goby
1x Yasha hase goby
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby
3x Purple firefish
3x Red firefish

Inverts:
6x Turbo snails (Already in my nano)
5x Nassarius snails (Already in my nano)
10x Sexy shrimp (Already in my nano)
1x Small skunk cleaner shrimp (Already in my nano)
2x Candycane pistol shrimp (One already in my pico but I really like it there and I think I’ll let it stay there)
1x Peppermint shrimp (Already in my nano) (I am pretty sure he isn’t a true peppermint but all my aptasia did mysteriously disappear never to be seen again after he was added :thinking-face: )
2x Fighting conch
1x Blue tuxedo urchin (Already in my nano)
2x Small bubble tip anemone (Already in my nano) (Potentially being removed from the list) (Same as the clowns)
So from the top down:
I’ve already dealt with the wrasse situation :)

Clingfish and Pipefish aren’t my best strength with fish however they should be alright in a 4’ tank as there are plenty of pods considering you keep up and try dose Atleast 400-600 a week.

Those clowns may be peaceful now but if you think about 3 years from now, you’ll likely have biters which are never fun, mine gives me a shock Atleast once when I put my hand in the tank.

The Lawnmower Blenny will likely kill your Pictus blennies if they don’t kill eachother off first so I would stick to only 2 blennies (one of each).
The same story will likely occur with the Clown Gobies and they will risk fighting eachother so I would only choose one.

The two Shrimp gobies again, risk killing eachother off, same with the two pistol shrimp - Only get one pistol and one shrimp goby.

And the fire fish I’ve also dealt with.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I kept two yellow striped cling fish and they required target feeding with roe. They are kind of high maintenance and difficult but not impossible. They like to eat bivalves as well so you can try and train them to eat roe out of a clam shell. The males are almost impossible to keep due to their smaller about.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I kept two yellow striped cling fish and they required target feeding with roe. They are kind of high maintenance and difficult but not impossible. They like to eat bivalves as well so you can try and train them to eat roe out of a clam shell. The males are almost impossible to keep due to their smaller about.
I have heard that, I am going to try BBS first and seeing what happens otherwise try other methods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only the Red Firefish are communal and even then, groups often fail in captivity. It’s best to stick to pairs of each and hope the two species don’t collide.

I’ve found trios of Pink Streaks fail in the long term, the same will likely occur with Wetmorella species. I don’t know if it was due to the lack of territory in my tank however a trio failed, I believe it was due to a mix of things from;
Males/more than 3 not getting along as well as the fact I may have just got hold of a bad specimen.

again, trios (and even pairs) of Flashers fail long term, they all just become males and fight to the death in the end unfortunately.
The same occurs with Cirrhilabrus and Halichoeres species.

So from the top down:
I’ve already dealt with the wrasse situation :)

Clingfish and Pipefish aren’t my best strength with fish however they should be alright in a 4’ tank as there are plenty of pods considering you keep up and try dose Atleast 400-600 a week.

Those clowns may be peaceful now but if you think about 3 years from now, you’ll likely have biters which are never fun, mine gives me a shock Atleast once when I put my hand in the tank.

The Lawnmower Blenny will likely kill your Pictus blennies if they don’t kill eachother off first so I would stick to only 2 blennies (one of each).
The same story will likely occur with the Clown Gobies and they will risk fighting eachother so I would only choose one.

The two Shrimp gobies again, risk killing eachother off, same with the two pistol shrimp - Only get one pistol and one shrimp goby.

And the fire fish I’ve also dealt with.
In terms of pods, will a large refugium seeded with a lot of pods beforehand not keep up with their needs?

I will only have these clowns for another 9 or so months as I am moving back to Australia then.

I have noticed that when they were together, the lawnmower blenny would bully the Pictus but he never really cared and still went where he pleased anyways and I believe that in a 95 gallon aquarium filled with live rock, there is more than enough territory to at least try maybe three Pictus blennies and see how that goes.
Same thing with the clowns, they are minuscule little fish and two in a tank this big should not be a problem and I plan to see how it goes as many people have had multiple clown gobies in tanks over three times smaller than this.

I’ll add the shrimp gobies at the same time and at different ends, I know you have said that introducing them on different ends won’t keep them there but also to do with what I have read online, they should be ok if they can have 24inches in between burrows and this tank is 42 inches long, so I also believe this should be enough space. Also to do with the shrimp gobies, the only pistol shrimp I can find are candy cane pistol shrimp and the only ones I can find of them are 2cm max. This won’t be enough for a shrimp goby will it? I feel I’ll need to look at where I can find bigger ones.

I didn’t know that purple firefish can’t be grouped, I guess I’ll keep it at two of each. Or, if I decided on one red firefish how many could I keep together?

Back