80G SCA Mixed Reef Build

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 13 years out of the hobby, I am finally to a place where I can build a reef tank again, so here it goes!

I expect delivery of the SCA 80 (32x24x24) and cabinet in about a week and due to a back injury I have hired a service to help get everything set up correctly. I did not plan for help, but it is what it is. I would rather not be crippled by the experience. I joined and supported the Reef2reef website because frankly the support and advice are surely welcome and I appreciate any comments, advice or criticism.

I would not say this is a budget build, but I can't go "no holds barred" either, so here is the equipment list:

Synergy 16" overflow
Ecotech G5 XR15 Blue x2 with diffusers using their rail mounting system
Ecotech Versa M2 return pump with battery back up
Ecotech MP40
Eshopps alpha 100 sump
Reef Octopus ESS 130 skimmer
Aqua UV 25 watt UV
GHL 2.1 SA4 doser
Avast fluidized reactor (carbon)
Eshopps ATO and curve fuge light

80g.jpg

Equipment.jpg

I will be throwing some topside marine paint on the inside of the cabinet and siliconing as well. I've ordered anything and everything I can think of to make this a reasonably easy build from plumbing to tank mat to shims and on and on.

I love monti caps and ricordia/rhodactis shrooms but will be adding some acropora, zoas and euphyllia as well as some blastos and chalice.

Wish me luck!!

Last edited:

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Have fun building.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning.

I will be following your progress.
I can relate to the injury difficulty in setting up a new reef. If you read my build thread, you know what I've been through.

If you ever need any help or advice or anything, just reach out.

Good luck on the new build.

OP
OP
zukihara

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weather has held up the build, but hopefully later this week or early next week we finally get wet.

Prepare Game Of Thrones GIF by Game of Thrones: [HASH=36532]#PrepareForWinter[/HASH]

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost went with an SCA tank with the 16” external Synergy overflow, too. Ended up going a slightly different route. Looking forward to following your build thread.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like your off to a great start!
I had there 90 gal a few years ago i boy do i wish I had it drilled for ext. overflow.

have fun reefing and welcome back!
OMG this is so true. I love my SCA 100 shallow, but MAN, I wish I had went with an external overflow. Mandatory on my next tank.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the external overflow better? I own a 50 gal pnp SCA and plan on upgrading to a 90 from the same company.

Like everything... this is opinion. Ease of maintenance, accessibility, room in DT. Siphoning out the detritus from an internal overflow is such a pain... at least on my setup. I don't do it super often... but still. My next build nothing will be plumbed from the bottom. I have an internal now and its fine... not the end of the world, but it is just inferior IMO.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little tankers... ROTFLOL... That's funny. It's a beautiful tank. I totally understand the issue with the stand now though.

OP
OP
zukihara

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna salinity checker used on my temp tank reading 1.025. I love that thing!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back