90 gallon stocking

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, new here and got a question about stocking.
planning on getting a 90 gallon tank set up in the next couple months and after it is properly cycled I have a general idea of what fish I would wanna throw in there. My current idea would be something like
- 2 ocellaris clowns
- bristletooth tang
-shrimp/goby pair (probably a tiger and an orange spotted goby)
-1 helfrichi firefish (Might end up just getting a purple) + I will have a lid on the tank
-1 long nose hawkfish

I would also be interested in getting some cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, banded coral shrimp, anemones, and some corals (some of each type)

I am very open to all opinions and nothing is concrete on the list. What order would you recommend I add these fish?
I do have some other general questions

- how needed is a sump and skimmer
- would I be able to add some more fish down the line and if so would there be any issues if they were less aggressive then some of the other fish like the tang
- I am kinda nervous about buying fish online, how safe would this option be and what would be the best sites to order from

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think Im almost done with this list. Apparently the orange spotted blenny could be aggressive so im thinking of probably changing it for a lawnmower blenny, heard they mostly like to eat algae so would it be beat to wait a couple months (5?) to put him in. If i were to wait for this i would probably also have to wait to put the tangs and other aggressive fish in though?
Do you think I would be able to throw a carpenter flasher wrasse in there aswell?
Some questions about a qt-
If I were to get some of the fish special ordered from a reliable lfs would I still need to qt
How big would the qt need to be?
Also how long would you recommend I qt the fish?

Once again I appreciate the help so much!
I wouldn’t swap it for a Lawnmower blenny as many people on here actually say they don’t eat algae too often. You also already have an algae eater, the Tang. If you added another algae eater there’s the possibly going to be more aggression for food. Carpenters flasher wrasse will be just fine in there, provided that the Cirrhilabrus specimen isn’t aggressive. heres a complex chart showing the aggressive species and the mild species if you need it. Obviously this is most likely not all of them as there are over 50 species and some have been renamed.
EE85A52E-9452-439B-A231-2186B0E1ABD3.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive really looked into some of the dragonets and I know I would have to wait a long time to put one in but how hard do you think they are to care for?
(Would be putting it in instead of the blenny)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and also forgot to ask if clams add any bioload to the tank and if any fish I have on my list would harm a clam. Im looking at a maxima and a crocea

Last edited:
Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive really looked into some of the dragonets and I know I would have to wait a long time to put one in but how hard do you think they are to care for?
(Would be putting it in instead of the blenny)
They can be relatively hard, you need to find one that eats frozen but even then they tend to go back to pods only. They need a VERY heavy amount of pods, if personally wait 2-3 years before grabbing one. They also never take well to stress or QT.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be relatively hard, you need to find one that eats frozen but even then they tend to go back to pods only. They need a VERY heavy amount of pods, if personally wait 2-3 years before grabbing one. They also never take well to stress or QT.
Alright well I guess I would have some time to think how bad I want it. Instead of the lawnmower could I throw in maybe 2 tail spot blennies? And what about a dwarf angelfish? Or would that be pushing the bio load too much?

Upvote 0

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could do a medium sized angel i have 3 big fish in my 90 1 being a goldflake angelfish although he is dwarf angel size atm

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could do a medium sized angel i have 3 big fish in my 90 1 being a goldflake angelfish although he is dwarf angel size atm
I was only looking at dwarf because i think my list might be long already and i dont want to overstock it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now this is looking to be my list (I think it might be a bit long but I’m not too sure)

-1 copperband butterfly
-1 squartail bristletooth tang
-1 carpenter’s flasher wrasse
-1 orange back fair wrasse
-1 shrimp goby pair
-2 designer ocellaris clownfish (would be mated)
-3 scissor tail dartfish
-1 helfrichi firefish
-1 royal gamma basslet
-1 long nose hawk fish
-1 ember blenny
-1 dwarf angel

As for inverts
- 1 bubble tip anemone
-2 fire shrimp
-3 cleaner shri
-1 purple banded shrimp
-1 crocea clam
-1 maxima clam

Some soft corals and some sps
You could go with a reef - Avoid fleshy LPS.
Would a hammer and torches be fleshy lps?

Just typing out that list made it feel a bit long lol, I am definitely willing to cut a couple fish from it if it means a happier tank overall.
For a lid Im planning on using A mesh one and velcrowing it down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now this is looking to be my list (I think it might be a bit long but I’m not too sure)

-1 copperband butterfly
-1 squartail bristletooth tang
-1 carpenter’s flasher wrasse
-1 orange back fair wrasse
-1 shrimp goby pair
-2 designer ocellaris clownfish (would be mated)
-3 scissor tail dartfish
-1 helfrichi firefish
-1 royal gamma basslet
-1 long nose hawk fish
-1 ember blenny
-1 dwarf angel

As for inverts
- 1 bubble tip anemone
-2 fire shrimp
-3 cleaner shri
-1 purple banded shrimp
-1 crocea clam
-1 maxima clam

Some soft corals and some sps

Would a hammer and torches be fleshy lps?

Just typing out that list made it feel a bit long lol, I am definitely willing to cut a couple fish from it if it means a happier tank overall.
For a lid Im planning on using A mesh one and velcrowing it down.
I assume your not doing coral?

Upvote 0

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was planning on doing coral , but I’m guessing there would be some issues with the dwarf angel and corals?
Im no expert but yes and thats a lot of fish to. Also LFS said hawkish may kill Tailspot as they are so small. Just things to keep in mind.

Everyone loves my Hawkfish but i have a feeling ill regret my purchase in the long run.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Im thinking is cutting the hawkfish( i dont want to risk it with the pistol) and the dwarf Angel for maybe 1 small ish fish. Any recommendations? Or better to just cut both of them?

Also I already have 1 fire shrimp in a small tank that I plan on moving, I’m guessing I might just have to stick with 1 fire shrimp because it’s not a bonded pair?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a bit of reserch and im not too sure if I want to put the anemone in there if it would put my other fish and coral at risk. Ive heard of clowns pairing with gsp or other corals so I guess ill see if that happens with mine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had no issues with this for a year. I have a banded. Red fire. Cleaner and 2 peppermint shrimps
Thats what is so hard about picking these is that everyone just has different fferent experiences. I might see if i can find one in with other shrimps at a LFS but if not might just stick to the smaller ones

Upvote 0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cb shrimp took out my peppermints. Some may play nicer than others.
I have had no issues with this for a year. I have a banded. Red fire. Cleaner and 2 peppermint shrimps all together.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have bad experiences with copperband butterfly fish not eating? Im not sure I have enough experience in the hobby yet to be able to handle an issue of him not eating. Thinking of maybe getting a long nose butterfly instead.
How worried should I be about aiptasia without a copperband in there?

Upvote 0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have bad experiences with copperband butterfly fish not eating? Im not sure I have enough experience in the hobby yet to be able to handle an issue of him not eating. Thinking of maybe getting a long nose butterfly instead.
How worried should I be about aiptasia without a copperband in there?
Get a file fish super cool looking not hard to get to eat stay small
I would add a foxface and a bristletooth tang. The foxface for the sheer number of different algea it will consume. The bristletooth for rasping off the rocks.

Upvote 0

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 22 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 42.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.4%
Back