OP
OP
ReefEco

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at the same spot, I have been doing so much research for the past few days and once I dwelled deeper and closer to the actual build i realize how much far away from actual build I am, reality kicks in.
Take your time, remember it's a marathon not a sprint. You'll get there. The longer you research, the more money you'll save the and better your build will be!

suresh2989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Suresh - duplicating my answer here on YT - I would agree that hand prepping is risky unless you are REALLY good at it, which I'm not. It would be too easy to get a dip or round off the edge I think. I've seen it done (I think there was a video by Joey/King of DIY), but I personally wouldn't try it, especially with thicker more expensive material. You could try either a woodworker shop (who might not want to work on acrylic, not sure), or try a sign shop to cut your panels on their CNC. That might eat into your budget, as I imagine having them cut the panels would add significantly to cost. BTW, I'm only using 3/8" acrylic (10mm) on my sumps, one of which is about the same dimensions as yours (even longer), so using 18mm seem like overkill unless you are not adding a top rim or any bracing to help the long span not bow. I'm all for over-building though, so thicker acrylic is better in general : ) if not cost-prohibitive. Sorry I can't be more help on the edge prep, which is even more difficult the thicker the panels - as it gets more difficult to keep the edges perfectly flat and perpendicular to the sides the thicker the panels. If you do end up having to hand prep, you might buy some material and practice before trying it on the real sheets for the aquarium. If you were in my area I'd invite you over and do the edge prep for ya!
Wow so nice of you to offer edge prep, alas I live north across the border in Ontario, Canada.

I have some specific questions regarding my build, I haven’t given up on the build yet, I have found a carpenter who understands my edge prep here and also a supplier who can do CNC cut panels.

thank you!

dzolot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, you are next level talented! Don’t know what’s more impressive- your building skills, reefing knowledge or video editing. Seriously impressive stuff!! Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge with us!!

OP
OP
ReefEco

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL - dzolot, thanks so much - that is my life validation for the month! Appreciate the kind words. I'm still very much learning on the editing front (and never stop learning all things reefing), and am actually using the tank documentation process to teach me video editing for work. So, hopefully I get better : ) Thanks for following along.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I know it’s been said throughout this thread, but you are truly an amazing craftsmen and the work you have done is exceptional. I enjoyed watching all your videos and could watch them all day. They were very informative and easy to understand. I love your system and everything you have done so far. Makes me feel like my setup needs more. Lol.
keep the videos coming if there are any left. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
On a side note.
Is there anything you don’t do?

OP
OP
ReefEco

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Yates - and happy Friday! Really appreciate your kind words, and many many more videos to come, don't worry. Appreciate the feedback on the videos - so hard to tell what is the best tone and delivery, but starting at something basic as I'm still learning about video making. I am a jack of all trades, but as the saying goes - master of none, LOL. So much still to learn about corals and keeping them - I don't think that learning will ever stop. Thanks for following along - and have a great weekend! PS - my wife is from NJ with still some family there - stay warm this weekend, heard it is going to be stormin'!

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are def. a Jack of all trades and it appears a master also. Lol yes I’m on the coast so we are looking at possibly 15”. Finally fired up the snowblower after it’s been on a several year hiatus. I need summer. I’m a warm weather person even-though I lived in Jersey my entire life. Looking forward to more videos!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back