90g stock list check

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into the hobby after an eight year break. Had a solid 5 year run previously with a decently successful mixed reef, even had a CBB survive for a year and half but died in a tank move from Atlanta to Florida.

I'm generally trying to stick to captive bred fish and aquacultured corals this time around. I'm pretty busy with two little ones and work some crazy hours so aiming for low maintenance and hardy fish. It will be a mix reef, SPS will generally be limited to Montis, and maybe some easier sticks like slimer, plan to have a some torches, frogspawn, and candy canes/ trumpets as far as LPS goes. I would like to have a maxima clam at some point down the road on this as well. Listing the breeder/source so if there are multiples and someone wants to chime in that one source may be better than another they can do so. So with all of those factors in mind here we go.

2 ORA clowns
1 Biota Yellow tang -Did some reading seems like there were a lot of issues but how are things in 2020 on these guys?
2 ORA Yellow Watchman Goby -hope to get a pistol shrimp for them
3 ORA azure damsel - LiveAquaria advertises an asian sourced CB on these for half the cost. Any info?
Yellow Cori Wrasse - This was a tough one I had a sixline for 4 years previously but I think I just got lucky and he was never to much of a dick. I miss the colors but I think the Yellows are more timid.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 ORA clowns
1 Biota Yellow tang -Did some reading seems like there were a lot of issues but how are things in 2020 on these guys?
3 ORA azure damsel - LiveAquaria advertises an asian sourced CB on these for half the cost. Any info?
Yellow Cori Wrasse - This was a tough one I had a sixline for 4 years previously but I think I just got lucky and he was never to much of a dick. I miss the colors but I think the Yellows are more timid.

Clown, a single tang, goby, 3 damsels, and a yellow wrasse is a very reasonable stock list for a 90.

I don't have experience with captive yellow tangs, just wild caught ones. You will want to add it last, and it will most likely not tolerate another large laterally compressed fish.

The six line wrasse would most likely be totally fine with clowns, tang, goby, and damsels. Those fish can all hold their own. It would just limit you if you wanted to add another wrasse or dotty in the future.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most captive bred yellow tangs are extremely small. They will obviously grow to normal sizes but the only ones I have ever seen for sale have been tiny. You can definitely stock more fish btw

OP
OP
R

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of them doesnt bother me to much as far as the YT goes. Saw a lot of threads where people were stating issues like poor color or HLLE. Most seem to be from a few years ago now though.

I always stocked light back in the day, no skimmer, and stuck to a 20% biweekly waterchange schedule. Looking to do AWC and ATO this time around.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Yellow Tang could be okay in a 90 as the only large fish though IMO long term a 100+ gallon tank at least 5’ would suit it better. It seems to be among the easiest of all Tangs so just your regular maintenance and what you mentioned above would be fine. The rest of your stocking list looks just fine.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into the hobby after an eight year break. Had a solid 5 year run previously with a decently successful mixed reef, even had a CBB survive for a year and half but died in a tank move from Atlanta to Florida.

I'm generally trying to stick to captive bred fish and aquacultured corals this time around. I'm pretty busy with two little ones and work some crazy hours so aiming for low maintenance and hardy fish. It will be a mix reef, SPS will generally be limited to Montis, and maybe some easier sticks like slimer, plan to have a some torches, frogspawn, and candy canes/ trumpets as far as LPS goes. I would like to have a maxima clam at some point down the road on this as well. Listing the breeder/source so if there are multiples and someone wants to chime in that one source may be better than another they can do so. So with all of those factors in mind here we go.

2 ORA clowns
very reasonable stock list for the tank size

OP
OP
R

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, only lost the CBB in the move. No idea where everything is. Sold all the live stock to someone in south georgia ~2012 before shutting it down and moving out west for a while.

If this goes well plan is to go to a 180ish 6'x2'x2' tank in 2022. Had good luck before but things feel more intimidating almost too much info out there now. I had good luck just going basic water changes small refugium and some good 14k pheonix halides on lumateks. Probably will just stick to that general idea for now all though I plan to have an AWC set up this time. Going to add water in the next few days, finally got it all plumbed up.

OP
OP
R

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that was all broken down and sold 8 years ago. Only things I kept was equipment. Absolutely will be running a sand bed.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the new tank. I think your tank will be pretty nice. If you go with the Yellow Wrasse you could possibly add another smaller wrasse or maybe even another Halichoeres like a Melanurus. Maybe a Royal Gramma / other kind of basslet? Midas Blenny?

Back