90g stocking list ideas

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I’m looking for anyone with some good full stocking lists for a 90g tank

I do not want any LARGE fish (I’m not the kind to try and cram 2-3 tangs in there lol)

It will need to be reed safe fish as I will have lots of Zoa’s And some LPS....

But I was thinking things like Basslets, Anthias, maybe a couple of PJ cardinals, a goby shrimp combo,maybe ONE blue green chromis... (never heard/had much luck when keeping more than 1 in a tank... always end up with just the one left lol) a pair of clowns, that type of idea...

I’d like it to be bright and lots of color.... I will be aiming for more fish then corals.... but will eventually still have a decent amount of Zoa’s, hammers, frogspawn, torches... and that will be about it... (probably a couple of each of the LPS’- going to have them on the one side and the Zoa’s on the other end and then maybe some GSP in the middle

(My tank will be set up sort of an island style... with 3 islands (the end 2 will have caves and branches and loops) and the middle will be more of a stacked structure if that helps....

It will have a TON of caves and rock work....
So no shortage there.... (see above)

So just looking to get a tank full of more “small-medium” fish rather then just a couple big ones...

The tank is also tall it’s foot print is 48” x 18x 24(tall) and I intend to keep the rock work not too tall as maybe to separate those that like to swim up top with lots of swimming room and those that like to stay on the bottom lots of room in the caves and rockstructures.....

So shoot- open to all ideas EXCEPT tangs or very large fish, and I don’t have the time to train a mandarin lol even though I’d love one lol

Sorry I should have added this is a 90g tank (not including sump)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anthias, dispar or ignitis would be a good choice for a smaller tank...since they are less likely to pick each other off like lyretails and the more aggressive species.

Wrasses are my go-to, provided you have a tight-fitting top. Melanurus are colorful, active, and good for flatworm control, as long as you don’t mind re-stocking cuc from time to time. You could add a couple of smaller fairy/flashers and a leopard as well.

I know you said no tangs, but a tomini or kole would probably be ok with that footprint.

I loved my yellow assessor. They are very peaceful and swim upside down, which is a fun conversation starter. Maybe a blenny or goby. And I think chalk bass are kind of different, and although I’ve never tried it I’ve read you can sometimes keep a small group together.

Lots of good options out there, let us know what you come up with ;)

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anthias, dispar or ignitis would be a good choice for a smaller tank...since they are less likely to pick each other off like lyretails and the more aggressive species.

Wrasses are my go-to, provided you have a tight-fitting top. Melanurus are colorful, active, and good for flatworm control, as long as you don’t mind re-stocking cuc from time to time. You could add a couple of smaller fairy/flashers and a leopard as well.

I know you said no tangs, but a tomini or kole would probably be ok with that footprint.

I loved my yellow assessor. They are very peaceful and swim upside down, which is a fun conversation starter. Maybe a blenny or goby. And I think chalk bass are kind of different, and although I’ve never tried it I’ve read you can sometimes keep a small group together.

Lots of good options out there, let us know what you come up with ;)

Likewise I would say go with a colorful wrasse, they dart around the rockworks and are always out. Kole tang would be good as well. 90 gallons is a lot to work with if you want just small fish.

If you have caves already and would like to try something interesting. May I suggest a snowflake eel.

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny when people call a 90g a “small” tank (will likely have a 40g sump)
People around my area would call a 90g a HUGE tank lol

I don’t think it quite falls into the category of “small” but yes it’s not a 300g lol
Small to me would be one of our 32g biocubes lol so maybe that’s why I seems like such an upgrade.... lol

Thanks for the suggestions on anthias.... I’d have to look into the wrasses and see what they have for “reef safe”

I don’t have anything against tangs... I just think that I wouldn’t be comfortable with any kind in a 90g.....

Sorry also should have added..the tank will have a tight fitting top... (I forget to mention these things because I already have gobies ect.... even without I don’t think I’d ever feel safe with a top less lol I love the look of them but I’d be worried all the time......

no LIVE rock in this tank...
I’ve has great luck with the Caribsea purple stuff (I’m using a combo of 2x the 20lb shapes kits, 1x 40lb box of the regular and I don’t plan to change that (plus I have the 80lbs of it here lol) I’ll probably buy another 20lb box of the stackable ones... use some in the DT and some in my Fuge...

It works just the same as live rock so I won’t have any type of hitch hikers etc

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likewise I would say go with a colorful wrasse, they dart around the rockworks and are always out. Kole tang would be good as well. 90 gallons is a lot to work with if you want just small fish.

If you have caves already and would like to try something interesting. May I suggest a snowflake eel.
I’ve never looked into a snowflake eel... how big do they get? And what do they eat?

But yes I’m looking to fill it with like 20 fish compared to 5 (not exact numbers just to give you guys an idea of what i would like to achieve)

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never looked into a snowflake eel... how big do they get? And what do they eat?

But yes I’m looking to fill it with like 20 fish compared to 5 (not exact numbers just to give you guys an idea of what i would like to achieve)

Snowflake eels get around 2 feet max They eat shrimp or small silversides. I would think they would do fine with a lot of smaller fish. I had a friend that has 2 dwarf moray eels in a 90 gal with tons of little fish like hawk fish and clown gobies. Look into those fish as well. Tons of personality.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snowflakes get around two feet. They can live in a tank 1/3 (with correct dimensions) the size of your tank imo. They eat meat and larger pieces of frozen. Very easy to feed. Usually leave smaller fish alone

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse are great fish to add. You got a range to pick and they are super active swimmers. Also, you pretty much got all the colors to choose from. In addition, majority of lower priced wrasse look just amazing as high priced wrasse.

A blenny would be cool to have as well. I personally love the golden midas blenny. Fun fish to watch swim around and perch on your rockwork.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
longnose hawkfish, chalk basslet, zebra barred dartfish( you can have a group of them). reef tank without blenny is not a reef tank!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny when people call a 90g a “small” tank (will likely have a 40g sump)
People around my area would call a 90g a HUGE tank lol

I don’t think it quite falls into the category of “small” but yes it’s not a 300g lol
Small to me would be one of our 32g biocubes lol so maybe that’s why I seems like such an upgrade.... lol

Thanks for the suggestions on anthias.... I’d have to look into the wrasses and see what they have for “reef safe”

I don’t have anything against tangs... I just think that I wouldn’t be comfortable with any kind in a 90g.....

Sorry also should have added..the tank will have a tight fitting top... (I forget to mention these things because I already have gobies ect.... even without I don’t think I’d ever feel safe with a top less lol I love the look of them but I’d be worried all the time......

no LIVE rock in this tank...
I’ve has great luck with the Caribsea purple stuff (I’m using a combo of 2x the 20lb shapes kits, 1x 40lb box of the regular and I don’t plan to change that (plus I have the 80lbs of it here lol) I’ll probably buy another 20lb box of the stackable ones... use some in the DT and some in my Fuge...

It works just the same as live rock so I won’t have any type of hitch hikers etc

90 gallon is a matter of perspective. I would never call my 90 gallon a small tank but in the hobby it's on the larger end of the medium scale. For freshwater or just the casual observer though 90 gallon is definitely a big tank. I also agree on the Caribsea Life Rock, I have used it in both of my tanks and have enjoyed it. @the OP, as has been mentioned the smaller generally Peaceful Wrasses are excellent choices for a 90 gallon. I have a Melanurus and Blue Star Leopard in my 90 gallon and really enjoy having them.

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! This is so stressful lol so many options and directions to go! I may even be getting a 110 (but most likely not) I will find out Tuesday... there were none left in Canada as of this week but I’m praying that maybe next week they will have some back in (and this is the supplier NOT the store lol) but before ordering the 90g they are going to check 1 last time for the 110g so I’m
Crossing my fingers!

Thank you so far for everyone’s input it’s been great!!

I think the idea of some types of wrasses and some types of anthias.... then a clown pair.... and then a couple other fish like a blue green chromis and then I could do maybe a royal gramma or (something similar) some type of goby/pistrol shrimp combo....(probably YWG or bigger (I like the one that’s pink with the spots)/Tiger Pistol, and yes (whoever mentioned the Blenny!! lol great option!)

I’ll have to go through each fish and see what will be compatible with what... and I’ll have to add the little guys first (Blenny and YWG and such) and then work my way up to the more “semi agressive” guys.... I’m really falling in love with a bunch of anthias and wrasses
Some of them are just so beautiful! K could probably just have a tankful of them lol so many color options! (If anyone want to share some of their pics I’d be greatful!)

I like the lion fish idea and such but I’m looking for a slightly more tame tank (I’m no fun lol)

As for the eel he sounds like my Violet Dragon Goby I have in my brackish tank (so might be a reason I would pass... I’m sure he looks different but seems like he may be the same “idea of a fish” and I’d really like lots of med-small fish and at 2 feet I wouldn’t want him to get cramped as my tank is only 4ft long... hmm I’ll have to look into him more...

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon as well. Wrasses are a must but it is best to do one of each kind with different species rather than trying to do pairs of the same kind. Anthias can work as well. Among some other options (ie what I have in my tank) are a One Spot Foxface, Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel (A bit of a gamble with corals though).

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do like angelfish as well but again I’m not sure I want to gamble with my corals lol

And I was not planning on getting more then 1 of the same type except for the clowns... I will have a mated pair... (probably percs or false percs) nothing fancy.... but then who knows lol

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally be tempted to put a copper band, long nosed butterfly or a butterfly from the roaps group (although these are pricier). Although all are with caution with corals. I just personally love butterflyfish. I’d also be tempted to do a dwarf angel of some kind. Some azure or other more peaceful damsel of the Chrysiptera genus would also be tempting to me. A swissguard basslet or blackcapped is also cool.

For a beautiful tank full of smaller fish that has no angels, tangs or butterflies and that’s around 90 gallons check out
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lasses-dream-build.246188/

Some fish from his tank to consider include
Red lined cardinals
Sunburst Anthias
Pygmy geometric hawkfish
Yellow coris wrasse
Blue star leopard wrasse
Possum wrasse
Bicolor blenny
Various coral/clown gobies

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware with Leopard Wrasses and Copperband Butterflies that they are notoriously poor shippers and can be picky eaters so it is crucial to get the right one (ie One that has been active and feeding for a week or two at the LFS). This helps ensure you have a hardy and adaptable specimen. As for the Butterflyfish all the ones mentioned get a bit big for a 4 foot long tank.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I keep forgetting 90 gallons is four feet not six. The long nosed is too big for four foot. I think I’ve read on R2R that a CBB is doable with peaceful tankmates in a 90. For roaps butterflies something like the burgess stays pretty small. https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/1845/?pcatid=1845

But of course none of this matters if the op doesn’t want a butterfly!

https://reefbuilders.com/2013/10/29/keeping-butterflyfish-reefs-avoid/

That Roaps isn't reef safe though. Really with Butterflyfish in terms of being Reef Safe it generally goes

Pyramid
Copperband
Longnose Yellow

Any other is more of a gamble than a Dwarf Angel IMHO as there are many Dwarf Angels that can do an occasional nip without really harming the corals, but when a Butterfly goes after coral it usually devours them.

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally be tempted to put a copper band, long nosed butterfly or a butterfly from the roaps group (although these are pricier). Although all are with caution with corals. I just personally love butterflyfish. I’d also be tempted to do a dwarf angel of some kind. Some azure or other more peaceful damsel of the Chrysiptera genus would also be tempting to me. A swissguard basslet or blackcapped is also cool.

For a beautiful tank full of smaller fish that has no angels, tangs or butterflies and that’s around 90 gallons check out
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lasses-dream-build.246188/

Some fish from his tank to consider include
Red lined cardinals
Sunburst Anthias
Pygmy geometric hawkfish
Yellow coris wrasse
Blue star leopard wrasse
Possum wrasse
Bicolor blenny
Various coral/clown gobies

That’s funny the black capped is one of my favorites! I LOVE their color and look lol
That’s for the list! Some rzcellent choices for what I’m exactly looking for!

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware with Leopard Wrasses and Copperband Butterflies that they are notoriously poor shippers and can be picky eaters so it is crucial to get the right one (ie One that has been active and feeding for a week or two at the LFS). This helps ensure you have a hardy and adaptable specimen. As for the Butterflyfish all the ones mentioned get a bit big for a 4 foot long tank.

Ya I don’t intend on any butterflies or angels... to risky with corals for me when there are fairly “sure” safe options to choose from

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back