9410 pulls an awesome amount of air

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roger,

I recently picked up a 9410 skimmer and its breaking in still I believe. It's only been about a week and I still have to run the skimmer with the air mostly closed off. No complaints from me, it is still pulling an insane amount of air. Since the air is so closed off however it is puling a large volume of water. I'm wondering if the foam cover for the 9010 would fit over this pipe. I have it in seven inches of water and there is still some splashing from the water returning to the sump. I believe this will subside as the skimmer breaks in and I can open the air more? I believe this would cause more air to enter and thus less water, decreasing the volume of water and thus the splashing. If so I'll just wait for it to break in fully.

If I'm wrong about that I'm wondering if I can order a replacement sponge, assuming the 9010 sponge fits the outlet pipe of the 9410. Or perhaps you have another idea? Also I took it apart to inspect everything and (like a fool) misplaced the screw on the hydrofoamer. I assume this isn't a big deal but I do like to keep everything as it should be. Is it possible to order a replacement of that screw?

Thanks,

Fred

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fred,

Best fix for this is make sure the pipe is fully inserted the top of the basket is below the top of the pipe by about 1/4" and that the skimmer is not submerged too deep, 6" is about perfect. With these settings you should be able to run the air about half open. The main culprit is the depth, deeper submersion means the skimmer is already closer to full and the pump does not have to work as hard to fill it. The sponge will fit, but I don't think it will do what you want it to do.

You can order the screw here, it is reasonably important, that was added to solve a problem where the intake would unscrew from the torque and vibration and then the impeller shaft can break.
https://www.tunze.com/US/en/products/details.html?type=&user_tunzeprod_pi1[prodid]=9420.043

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back