A BTA back from the brink!

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought i would share a success story. Ive had my share of fails and upsets so its nice when there is a success. This involves a CSB BTA and a lesson learned.....maybe?! :p

This is a pic of the CSB just after i got it. I put it in the tank with a few other BTAs. I had read all about the possibility of this strain not doing well with other strains. I wasn’t convinced by what i read, it just didn’t make sense. Especially when several didn’t have a problem. It just didn’t seem cut and dry and being a bit of a risk taker i went forward.
F1C824DF-FE95-41A6-8ED7-BC86235ECD2B.jpeg

After about a month or so i noticed the color looked really dull and the tentacle length had shrunk some. It began hiding more and more and looking worse. I decided i had to pull it if I didn’t want to loose it. I set up a hospital tank and treated it with cipro. This is what it looked like. Pretty bad!

055EC0DE-408B-4153-88D8-7AF12E321021.jpeg

So after treatment it looked a little better so i was hopeful. I had to keep it in this small tank because I didn’t currently have a system without a nem in it. During that time there was a lot of ups and downs and i thought for sure at one point it was a goner...dont have a pic of that, it was so sad. Through some miracle it began to heal. I would feed it reef roids paste as it was so tiny and hardly had any tentacles. The tentacles began to grow and a hint of color showed. I could hardly believe it. My frag tank no longer had a nem in it and i thought it was a good time to get this guy some where more stable. Here it is a couple months after treatment.

41DB1312-D888-43E9-AB2E-6A450178582F.jpeg

This is how it looks now. I took this yesterday. It is so pretty!

2E8FA720-C0E7-4F7B-8360-5E24B447753B.jpeg

So my experience was that certain strains do not do well with other strains. Unfortunately i lost the supernova this way. It is truly interesting and unexplainable really. I wonder if treating all the BTAs with cipro together then adding them would avoid this? I dunno, i just know i am a little more careful with certain strains and keeping them together. Dive in at your own risk! Haha

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it barely had tentacles, did you turn off the flow to feed it? I assume it’s mouth was closed at the time before feeding?

OP
OP
Anthony Scholfield

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it barely had tentacles, did you turn off the flow to feed it? I assume it’s mouth was closed at the time before feeding?
Yes, i did turn the flow off to feed it when it barely had tentacles. Even as the tentacles grew i turned flow off to feed and kept it off until it had eaten the food. Now that it is bigger i can keep the flow on when i spot feed it.

Yes, the mouth was closed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back