A comment about ammonia and cycling

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize - your reply to my post didn't make sense to me - so - I though that you perhaps mis-spoke. I said exactly what you did in the OP. If there is a x amount of NH4 - there will be a mathematically calculable amount of NH3 based on pH, etc.

My specific question (as others have been discussing) - is whether NH4 itself is toxic.
my opinion: It is toxic but far less so than NH3, but for it to reach troublesome levels there is most likely major issues with the tank to allow it to build to that level.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my opinion: It is toxic but far less so than NH3, but for it to reach troublesome levels there is most likely major issues with the tank to allow it to build to that level.

It's more of a scientific curiosity than anything of utility to a reef aquarist. There's no scenario in a reef tank where it matters to everyday concern over ammonia toxicity. :)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no scenario in a reef tank where it matters to everyday concern over ammonia toxicity.
You mean everyday concern over ammonium toxicity?

I normally try to use NH3 and NH4 because I think it a total mess to mix ammonia gas and ammonia ion into one word - ammonia as it often does in the aquarium hobby.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean everyday concern over ammonium toxicity?

I normally try to use NH3 and NH4 because I think it a total mess between mixing ammonia gas and ammonia ion into one word - ammonia as it often does in the aquarium hobby.

Sincerely Lasse

I just mean whether NH4+ is toxic at some level, or not toxic at any level, reefers are unlikely to do anything different because of it since there is always a tox concern from the NH3 alone.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mean whether NH4+ is toxic at some level, or not toxic at any level, reefers are unlikely to do anything different because of it since there is always a tox concern from the NH3 alone.
OK - that´s how I read it. Thanks

Sincerely Lasse

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back