OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the Tee in a freshwater tank? Blackworms live in freshwater, I am assuming you know that.
If you have freshwater in there and are cycling it with some dead shrimp, worms or something else, I would say a month should do it. But I would also add a small portion of worms. The worms will assure the correct bacteria grows. After you get the thing cycled to where you can add an ounce of worms, then gradually add more of them until you can safely keep however many of them you want. The first batch may become a slimy mess, that is fine. Eventually you will get there. My culture if going for many years and I think I can add as many worms as I can get. But never clean it or let it dry. Also keep water moving or it will also become a smelly mess even if it is cycled.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know as I never used those. I think it would take at least a month no matter what you do. If you put it outside and let some worms rot in there with water running it may go faster. But it would stink a little

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is left in the hobby with fish that are not sick, do any of you have any more input into this immunity thing? My fish are still immune and I added 3 or 4 this month.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is left in the hobby with fish that are not sick, do any of you have any more input into this immunity thing? My fish are still immune and I added 3 or 4 this month.

Sorry Paul. My fish aren't sick and are looking great but I doubt they have much adaptive immunity since I'm an eradicator. ;Doctor

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't know either. I've never had a fish lost from disese yet. Jumps and tank loss. And stupid mistakes. Mostly stupid mistakes sadly.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Man. No one has sick fish! I can't push my immunity agenda. What will I post about?
I will come up with something and get back to you.
I know many people who quarantine have stories about sick fish. :p

Oh wait, did I post about when I was following these hot Supermodels in Colorado and I fell down next to their car?
Oh Wait! I just posted that in my other thread. :(
How about when I was trying to fix the prop on my boat so I tied my feet to a rope and tied the other end to the steering wheel. Then I lowered myself over the back of my boat. The rope slipped and I fell into the water, but the good part was that I was right in front of the marina bar so everyone saw me, and I was under water with my feet tied together. :eek:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the number one way to prove quarantine isn't needed:

Work out side our own tank with the model claim.

Base claims that QT isn't needed only after one year of what we can do in others tanks to get # data

Start a thread saying how someone can advise fifty new tankers who do not live near tidal mud flats to buy fish from a store w no quarantine, that's the claim as I read it so far. Those fifty new tanks in a year will either be disease free or not based on natural feeds and immunity boosting if i read correctly so far

I'm reading that anyone with access to natural mud systems and refreshments not from the LFS can go without quarantine. I'm not seeing how the other 99% can reef without it.

As I read here feeding the fish cultured blackworms is key

It seems evident that if someone can add fish to a multi decade eastablished tank that uses entirely natural ocean refreshments constantly they may not need to quarantine, which leaves out most known reefers. How can that portion of reefers attain success

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if my additions from the sea has anything to do with immunity, but it may. I really think it is the bacteria in the fresh food that gives the fish the ability to keep the immunity it already has.
I can't prove immunity al I can do is show my tank and throw infected fish in there, that would prove immunity in my tank anyway. I have no access to Noobs tanks. I am moving in a few months, maybe I will set up another tank with ASW and no additions from the sea.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think "modern methods" seriously hamper new tanks. Use of dead, dry rock in particular. Dead dry rock + GFO and carbon dosing seem to be the worst combination for a new tank.

Dry rock seems to have taken over as if decoration was the only benefit to live rock in the first place.

Paul, do LFS's around you still sell live rock like normal?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they still sell live rock like always

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep them at room temperature here which hovers around 70. Cooler is better and I would imagine 60s would be better but they don't seem to have problems as long as you have plenty of surface area and circulation which is why I designed the worm keeper.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the summer, mine gets up to mid 70s without a problem (that I can tell). The blackworm place recommends I think 40s, but that's with them sitting stagnant with no food.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes mine get around 80 and except for a little sweat, they don't seem to mind. Circulation is key. They also want to be in shallow water so they can stick their heads up to breathe or check out the pictures on the wall, I am not sure which.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is perfect and something I have been saying for decades. Gweeds showed me this link. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0145305X17301118
You should check out this reference. Lots of great information in it from what I've been told. Saving it to read when I go on a cruise this winter.
book.JPG

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back