OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrappy, I finished my procedure, no Jazzy Supermodel nurses. I had two guys. Nothing against guys, but most of the fun of having medical procedures is the nurses. Yes, I am very shallow. :rolleyes:
The DR. stuck 6 or 7 needles in my back while he asked how I felt. That answer seems like a no brainer to me, how do you think I feel while you are jabbing me with stainless steel turkey basters with no anesthetic, at least in the old days, they gave you rum.
But anyway I will live and I will PM you some stuff to read. Have a great day. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep a natural tank in TN is not as easy as it is to keep a natural tank here in Long Island surrounded by the sea. But you can get live foods. For you, I assume you can get blackworms like I do at a LFS but you may not be able to get them. If not, white worms are just as good and easier to get. You buy a culture on line and put them in damp potting soil. Feed them bread and yogurt and they grow fast so you collect them and feed them to your fish. If your friend can give you some of his slimy, green water occasionally that's great. If you have any family at the shore they can mail you some stuff but the last time I did that, the guy thanked me for sending him boiled shrimp. (That was Bob Goemans for you seasoned aquarists) Live food is the best thing and it gets live bacteria into your fish at every meal and that is something you definitely need for a natural, immune tank. Don't use any dry foods. I am not sure if you can get live clams at a fish market, but those are great, I freeze them and slice off paper thin slices. Here almost all food stores sell clams.:D

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrappy, I finished my procedure, no Jazzy Supermodel nurses. I had two guys. Nothing against guys, but most of the fun of having medical procedures is the nurses. Yes, I am very shallow. :rolleyes:
The DR. stuck 6 or 7 needles in my back while he asked how I felt. That answer seems like a no brainer to me, how do you think I feel while you are jabbing me with stainless steel turkey basters with no anesthetic, at least in the old days, they gave you rum.
But anyway I will live and I will PM you some stuff to read. Have a great day. :D

Ah, but we female nurses appreciate having male nurses around, ha, ha! Nothing wrong with occasional shallowness... ;Playful

And yes, the whole pain question always gets me. I like the rum idea. Our patient satisfaction scores would definitely rise!!;Doctor

Glad you lived through the procedure. Always a good day then!

Last edited:

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep a natural tank in TN is not as easy as it is to keep a natural tank here in Long Island surrounded by the sea. But you can get live foods. For you, I assume you can get blackworms like I do at a LFS but you may not be able to get them. If not, white worms are just as good and easier to get. You buy a culture on line and put them in damp potting soil. Feed them bread and yogurt and they grow fast so you collect them and feed them to your fish. If your friend can give you some of his slimy, green water occasionally that's great. If you have any family at the shore they can mail you some stuff but the last time I did that, the guy thanked me for sending him boiled shrimp. (That was Bob Goemans for you seasoned aquarists) Live food is the best thing and it gets live bacteria into your fish at every meal and that is something you definitely need for a natural, immune tank. Don't use any dry foods. I am not sure if you can get live clams at a fish market, but those are great, I freeze them and slice off paper thin slices. Here almost all food stores sell clams.:D
So like having a worm tank too? Jeez, I have a freshwater tank, a DT, a tank I'd planned on QT/hospital setup, a turtle tank and now a worm tank!! Yay for tanks!! My landlord may not approve...lol. I'll hide them in a potted plant!

And live clams, hhmmm. I like fresh seafood, they may not make it to the freezer.

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some sushi just now. We took the Grand Kids to the beach to eat at the picnic tables and tomorrow they are coming out on our boat so I can do a little collecting at a tide pool. :D
Scrappy, I pmed you some reading material. :rolleyes:

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some sushi just now. We took the Grand Kids to the beach to eat at the picnic tables and tomorrow they are coming out on our boat so I can do a little collecting at a tide pool. :D
Scrappy, I pmed you some reading material. :rolleyes:
She's adorable!! Don't know why I didn't see this post earlier. I saw all the other ones but this one just popped up. Very fishy.

Anyway, enjoy the grand kids and the boat. I'm jealous--I don't have either one yet. My kids are still too young for grandbabies to be a good thing just yet, lol, since they are 16, 18 and 20. But I still look forward to them one day! And a boat is on my wish list. We have lots of great freshwater around here and the Volunteer Navy, ha, ha, so I am going to HAVE to have one some day.

Thanks for the reading material! I'm going on a 900 mile drive this weekend to take my 18 yr old to college and then flying back with a long lay-over at the Atlanta airport so reading material will definitely be useful!!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, We are going to that tide pool in a few hours and I hope to collect some mud as I am sure that mud under all those snails is full of bacteria. Especially at low tide before the water comes back up and washes a lot of it away. When I started in the hobby we used to put clean garden soil in the tank. I think I would still do that today although I am not sure how much of that bacteria would live in a salt water tank. I am sure some of it will but I am guessing.
I also hope to get a few thousand amphipods but the water is still cold and I am not liking the idea of wading to shore. I do have a dinghy but I am not sure I can row it after my back procedure yesterday or even put the tiny outboard on it. In a few days I will be able to do everything.

I have two of these.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always careful.
This is my collecting vehicle. I will also bring home grass shrimp. I give most of them to an LFS to feed their fish.

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Paul B , I am going to run my tank feeding blackworms on a daily. I just built a blackworm culture in my garage and I have a question. I had a 2" PVC tee in my display tank for almost 5 months and I placed it in my lower container of the blackworm culture. I am currently cycling the water, but how long would you expect it to cycle with the added seeded PVC? Around a month or two, or in a matter of weeks.

Back