A houseplant question

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I joined reddit, and I can't seem to find any help on r/houseplants , but maybe y'all can provide some guidance? The original question (copy-pasted below).

I'm doing some planning for the eventual move, and I know I want houseplants. I've divided my "want to have" plant list into three "phases" based off of how much I want the plant. Yes, I do in fact, wish to live in a tropical coastal rainforest.

Phase 1: Bird of Paradise, Monstera deliciosa, Fluffy Ruffle Fern, Peace Lily, Heliconia.

Phase 2: Terminalia catappa (Talisay tree), Citrus microcarpa (calamondin/Calamansi/Philippine lime),vanilla orchids, cocoa tree.

Phase 3: Hawaiian ginger, anthuriums, tropical hibiscus

Important things to know: I'm going to have worm bins (yay free compost!), and aquariums (yay free fish water + RODI unit!) when I move. I also have every plan to use terra cotta pots (I like the aesthetic). And if I go with homemade potting soil, it would most likely be a 1:1:1 mixture of worm compost(nutrients): coconut coir(water retention): pumice(aeration).

I'm trying to figure out which would be best for overall plant health and water conservation. I've listed below some of the things I've thought of, but what are all the pros and cons towards hydroponics vs LECA(semi-hydroponics) and just using a mix of potting soil? And what should I do???

Hydroponics: aka, running water from fish tanks into some sort of LECA based substrate, and then draining it back to the fish tanks. This is the one I'm least in favor of, since I just can't seem to figure out a good way to figure out plumbing things in an aesthetically pleasing fashion. Since it's running water, I don't have to worry about anything like root rot, since the roots will have non-stagnant water. I might have to add supplements to the water though, my fish don't make that much waste.

LECA/Semi-Hydro: aka, half hydro, half potting soil - you fill a pot with LECA (light expanded clay aggregate), and 1/3 of the way up with water that has nutrients in it. I like the science behind it, since it's basically "take pure water, add nutrients, and rinse plants every week under the sink to remove salt accumulation," and I already know how to pH balance and stuff. It's tied with the potting soil option really. This method also seems the most labor intense, since I would have to move the plants weekly, and some of them (BoP, Heliconia) are absolute monsters. But, since I'll be investing in an RO/DI unit, I'll have that water on hand always. The only other problem, is that a lot of terra cotta pots already have holes in them, which is counterproductive to the LECA method.

Potting Soil: yayyy dirt! It's tied with the semi-hydro method. I just repot once a year(???) with a homemade potting mix. I can water with aquarium water and runoff RODI water (it's got a high mineral count to it). It's also...dirt cheap, since I'll be making the mix myself. I hear there are a lot of pests with houseplants sometimes, and that's one thing that knocks against it. Also, if I knock over any plants, it's going to be a mess to clean, whereas hydro/semi-hydro, it's just a towel and picking up relatively large clay balls instead of pulling out a vacuum. I also am very fond of overwatering which may/may not be an issue depending on plant.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I joined reddit, and I can't seem to find any help on r/houseplants , but maybe y'all can provide some guidance? The original question (copy-pasted below).

I'm doing some planning for the eventual move, and I know I want houseplants. I've divided my "want to have" plant list into three "phases" based off of how much I want the plant. Yes, I do in fact, wish to live in a tropical coastal rainforest.

Phase 1: Bird of Paradise, Monstera deliciosa, Fluffy Ruffle Fern, Peace Lily, Heliconia.

Phase 2: Terminalia catappa (Talisay tree), Citrus microcarpa (calamondin/Calamansi/Philippine lime),vanilla orchids, cocoa tree.

Phase 3: Hawaiian ginger, anthuriums, tropical hibiscus

Important things to know: I'm going to have worm bins (yay free compost!), and aquariums (yay free fish water + RODI unit!) when I move. I also have every plan to use terra cotta pots (I like the aesthetic). And if I go with homemade potting soil, it would most likely be a 1:1:1 mixture of worm compost(nutrients): coconut coir(water retention): pumice(aeration).

I'm trying to figure out which would be best for overall plant health and water conservation. I've listed below some of the things I've thought of, but what are all the pros and cons towards hydroponics vs LECA(semi-hydroponics) and just using a mix of potting soil? And what should I do???

Hydroponics: aka, running water from fish tanks into some sort of LECA based substrate, and then draining it back to the fish tanks. This is the one I'm least in favor of, since I just can't seem to figure out a good way to figure out plumbing things in an aesthetically pleasing fashion. Since it's running water, I don't have to worry about anything like root rot, since the roots will have non-stagnant water. I might have to add supplements to the water though, my fish don't make that much waste.

LECA/Semi-Hydro: aka, half hydro, half potting soil - you fill a pot with LECA (light expanded clay aggregate), and 1/3 of the way up with water that has nutrients in it. I like the science behind it, since it's basically "take pure water, add nutrients, and rinse plants every week under the sink to remove salt accumulation," and I already know how to pH balance and stuff. It's tied with the potting soil option really. This method also seems the most labor intense, since I would have to move the plants weekly, and some of them (BoP, Heliconia) are absolute monsters. But, since I'll be investing in an RO/DI unit, I'll have that water on hand always. The only other problem, is that a lot of terra cotta pots already have holes in them, which is counterproductive to the LECA method.

Potting Soil: yayyy dirt! It's tied with the semi-hydro method. I just repot once a year(???) with a homemade potting mix. I can water with aquarium water and runoff RODI water (it's got a high mineral count to it). It's also...dirt cheap, since I'll be making the mix myself. I hear there are a lot of pests with houseplants sometimes, and that's one thing that knocks against it. Also, if I knock over any plants, it's going to be a mess to clean, whereas hydro/semi-hydro, it's just a towel and picking up relatively large clay balls instead of pulling out a vacuum. I also am very fond of overwatering which may/may not be an issue depending on plant.
Honestly if I were you, I would do option 3. If you decide to start a saltwater tank depending on the person it’s either a strong hobby or lifestyle. :) Saltwater tanks take time and maintenance of their own. Utilizing the high tds of RODI waste and the tank water would probably be the easiest form as well as you don’t want water to be plumbed into soils and go back in tank....depending on the soil/if there are any fertilizers or even if you spill or spray something (air fresheners or something like that)and it ends up on the soil, it could poison your tank or severely affect the pH. Also plants are photosynthetic and are usually placed near windows....windows let in light/heat/cold....factors that can cause issues with temperature stability and crazy algae blooms. These are some factors from personal experience, Thus my two cents and of course it really ends up being your choice! We all learn from experience in the end! I wish you best of luck! Currently, I’m propagating succulents just for fun! :)

image.jpg

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I don’t know your familiarity with aquaponics but when I lived in the Middle East, there were some REALLY COOL setups in the desert growing produce utilizing shredded coconut fibers instead of traditional soil! Because of its nature, I’d assume it may be less “messy” than traditional soil? Anyways, best of luck!

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if I were you, I would do option 3. If you decide to start a saltwater tank depending on the person it’s either a strong hobby or lifestyle. :) Saltwater tanks take time and maintenance of their own. Utilizing the high tds of RODI waste and the tank water would probably be the easiest form as well as you don’t want water to be plumbed into soils and go back in tank....depending on the soil/if there are any fertilizers or even if you spill or spray something (air fresheners or something like that)and it ends up on the soil, it could poison your tank or severely affect the pH. Also plants are photosynthetic and are usually placed near windows....windows let in light/heat/cold....factors that can cause issues with temperature stability and crazy algae blooms. These are some factors from personal experience, Thus my two cents and of course it really ends up being your choice! We all learn from experience in the end! I wish you best of luck! Currently, I’m propagating succulents just for fun! :)

image.jpg

I plan to have both fresh and salt aquariums, so I'll probably use the drained water from the freshwater water changes to water the plants if I go with potting soil. And if I were to go with hydroponics, I'd run the water from the freshwater system through the plants and back into the fish part of the system.

Also, I don’t know your familiarity with aquaponics but when I lived in the Middle East, there were some REALLY COOL setups in the desert growing produce utilizing shredded coconut fibers instead of traditional soil! Because of its nature, I’d assume it may be less “messy” than traditional soil? Anyways, best of luck!
Hence the hydroponics/aquaponics option! I was going to use LECA instead of coconut fibers (aka coconut coir/coco coir) if I went with hydroponcis.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to have both fresh and salt aquariums, so I'll probably use the drained water from the freshwater water changes to water the plants if I go with potting soil. And if I were to go with hydroponics, I'd run the water from the freshwater system through the plants and back into the fish part of the system.

Hence the hydroponics/aquaponics option! I was going to use LECA instead of coconut fibers (aka coconut coir/coco coir) if I went with hydroponcis.

For freshwater hydroponics you still need to be aware of your substrates ph or if the substrate you use will affect it (especially for certain species like hatchetfish/Corydoras). Unlike large bodies of water, the water in your tank is isolated therefore subject to more intense swings in parameters compared to their freed-flowing counterparts.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a Monstera that has been through two pots now, seems to do okay in soil, but it has a tendency to grow the main bulk of itself just above the soil line - up high enough to become unsteady over time.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a Monstera that has been through two pots now, seems to do okay in soil, but it has a tendency to grow the main bulk of itself just above the soil line - up high enough to become unsteady over time.
Have you heard of pothos? Many people actually grow it from their tanks to reduce their nitrates (like cheato for freshwater). It grows crazy and it’s really fun to just put small pins up and let it grow around the edge of your ceiling :)

9FBCB88E-A5D8-4276-809D-327934553E07.jpeg

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you heard of pothos? Many people actually grow it from their tanks to reduce their nitrates (like cheato for freshwater). It grows crazy and it’s really fun to just put small pins up and let it grow around the edge of your ceiling :)

9FBCB88E-A5D8-4276-809D-327934553E07.jpeg
The worst part is it allegedly “can grow in almost total darkness” some people say it would grow in a closet. And yet I can’t keep a Pothos alive for the life of me. This one in our kitchen is the only one that has made it over a year lol
84E4CF8E-2244-4273-BAE2-E47819D08B1D.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back