A Huge Problem IMO as to why tanks crash and we have so many problems with just about everything.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with these thoughts ... we can on;y try to replicate nature ... almost impossible to duplicate it. But now I'm wondering how all this might affect ... or change the approach to captive bred fish and aqua-cultured corals that are brought into and developed under a less than natural environment?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patientman. this is not going to change anything and nothing is new. Many of us Geezers have been running our tanks like this since the hobby started. The internet changed everything because now we have so much information and even if much or most of it is wrong, there are no fact checkers and even though people continue to kill thousands or millions of fish then get out of the hobby where Noobs come in and start all over again. Information, even if wrong keeps getting re hashed which is why people still add coral banded shrimp to eliminate ich or change water to control algae.

How many tanks out of the hundreds of thousands of tanks that were started even ten years ago are still running?

Very few I would imagine and that is not even the lifespan of a hermit crab.
We can't even tell if our tank method is successful if we don't even complete the lifespan of a little crab, much less a fish. :confused:

This pair lived about 12 years.

These little octopus hatched out in a spare tank.

Last edited:

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a buddist, I try to not kill stuff. So almost no live food for my fish, except the pods that grow in the system.:)
But most of whats written is what I follow also. Have had fresh or salt water(1 year) tanks for decades. I do try to feed the a frozen meal very few days time.
However I have never done pre emptive medication ever. I'm soo against this concept.This is like giving full course of antibiotics, and a chemo therapy when we arrive at a new country. How would you feel if you were forced to undergo this, when you enter a new country ?

I have medicated fish with diseaces in seperate tanks and even to the main display when I was desperate. But from my experince even with my poor quality flake food feedings, fish never get sick unless you keep the tank well maintained. Every time I had my fish get sick or die,that had always been due to my neglegance of the tank. (Mainly due to poor water quality)

I don't normally operate a quarantine tank, but if I was not lazy (or ever had any problem :p ) I would. Not the medicated quarantine, but a seperate small eco system where I can monitor the new additions for a week before introducing them to the tank.
Heck I got my current perple tang not in great shape with what I presume was ick (Free fish for helping a guy setup his tank) and just ploped it in the main tank as had no quarantine tank. This risk was taken although as I had few fish and they all cost a fraction of what the perple tang cost. He was doing great withn a weeks with no visible sings of problem.
Also I added my last powder blue tang stright from ocean to dealer (1-2 days) to my tank. He paced around the tank for 2 days and was great. Never had ick or any disease .

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not the smartest fish keeper in the world, but I am probably one of the oldest. Being one of the oldest, I have also had more time to study this stuff and more time to make mistakes. Mistakes are one way we learn. A very good way.

It's actually how they train you in basic training in the Army or Marines. By forcing you to do impossible tasks, knowing you can't do them, then punishing you for not doing it correctly. Eventually, you learn what they want you to do while never completing those tasks correctly.

Trust me, it works.

I was a Noob at one time and that time was the 1950s, yes the world as we know it was around then and so were fish. We had the same problems then as we do now but a few of us learned, after many dead fish what we were doing wrong and I think I got it.

Most people in this hobby do something and it works, and they think they found the secret, but we may be talking about a time frame of a few months or a couple of years. A common hermit crab lives over 12 years so if we keep one for a couple of years, it is not "Great Success". To have a reef tank for four or five years without crashing, although is an accomplishment that few people ever attain is also not a Great Success and we should strive for more. We should always strive for more.

IMO a reef tank should be immortal or "live" as long as it's owner. Of course fish are not immortal, but most of them live much longer than people stay in this hobby.

Corals are immortal and can keep living while growing new polyps on top of older ones. That’s how reefs grow.

I feel the biggest mistake we make (and us Geezers who started this hobby are the cause) is keeping our tanks to clean.

Our gravel or sand is to clean, and our food is to clean and our water is to clean.

I will get to clean water later as it even sounds weird to me.

Fish, birds, whales, lizzards, earthworms, Liberals, Conservatives and us all have a symbiotic relationship with bacteria, viruses and parasites.

Viruses, bacteria and parasites have been here longer than us and will be here when we all go to Mars because this planet has nothing left but plastic.

In a tank, any tank, except a quarantined or medicated tank, bacteria run everything. We forget about them, but it is the bacteria that call the shots, not us.

Bacteria have their own problems as viruses also affect and kill them. Bacteria hate that.

Parasites are also infected by bacteria and viruses.

Probably funguses also, but I am guessing.

Anyway, we call those things “disease organisms” because they can make us sick, but we forget that without them, we couldn’t live.

Our stomach is loaded with both beneficial and harmful bacteria. They live in harmony along with the funguses and viruses. Seawater is loaded with all of those things and that is natural and the way it should be.

We have problems when we mess with that system. If we kill bacteria, the viruses can take over as can the parasites.

If we for instance use copper, we will kill the parasites and bacteria, but not the viruses.

We really can’t kill the viruses (as Covid 19 taught us) because viruses are not alive to start with but we can disintegrate them using UV light or ozone.

So if we kill one of the pathogens, we allow the remaining ones to thrive and cause problems.

We can of course kill everything by using drugs along with UV and Ozone but should we?

It sounds like a good plan but have you seen anyone who just had Chemo and radiation to kill cancer?

Those people have no immunity to anything and although they are kept in a sterile environment, many of them die anyway because we can’t live like that in the real world.

Neither can fish.

In some cases we do have to resort to that drastic measure and sometimes it works. But not usually and it could take years for that fish to regain its compliment of stomach flora where it could live a normal life free from disease with a functioning immune system.

The problem with killing everything is of course that the bacteria, parasites and viruses will all infect the fish at different times and whichever comes first can overwhelm the fishes immune system because those things no longer are living in harmony where they can all keep each other in check.

In nature none of those pathogens get the upper hand because they evolved to counteract each other.

If we disrupt the cycle, we cause problems and tank crashes.

I propose, and it has worked for decades for me and other successful aquarists with long lasting reefs, that instead of trying to limit or eliminate natural pathogens leaving the fish open to disease, we cultivate those things, "in proportion" with each other leaving the fish with a strong immune system that it evolved with.

Remember, in the sea the fish are living with every aquatic disease there is with no problem. They only have problems after they are collected, shipped and put in our tanks.

There is no reason for them to have problems as my fish realize including my almost 30 year olds.

I know many, or all the fish we buy don’t look very good and are all infected with something. But remember, they are “always” infected with something because fish eat and breathe pathogens as they live. In the sea their immune system has no problems dealing with those afflictions because the fish is not stressed and is eating there natural food which is loaded with bacteria.

It’s the pathogens that tell the fishes immune system what method to use to eradicate that organism.

Remember in the sea fish normally eat living prey. They rarely eat sterile pellets, flakes or freeze dried anything. The prey they eat is always loaded with bacteria, parasites and viruses in the same proportions as are already in the fishes gut. Fish and us can’t digest food without bacteria which is the reason so many fish die while being medicated with copper or other drugs. It kills their stomach bacteria. It’s simple.

I mentioned before that our water is to clean and that may sound counterproductive because coral reefs are thought to be pristine. But the difference in water from a coral reef and our tanks is that the water on a coral reef has been there long before Betty White was born and many of our tanks were started a week from last Tuesday. Seawater actually gets better with age, to an extent.

If new, clean seawater was so good, why do new tanks look lousy? Why do new tanks, with all new water have so many diseases? Why do Noobs lose so many fish?

It’s because bacteria, viruses, corals, seaweed, rocks, meteorites, shipwrecks, whales and waste water from frankfurter carts in New York City all end up in the sea and all of those things are what fish evolved in. OK, maybe not the frankfurter carts. But it takes time for those organisms to reach a point where they are in sync with each other and none of them out weigh or out perform each other.

I was also under the impression that we needed to keep everything sterile. I wouldn’t think to put my hands in the tank without rinsing many times to get every trace of soap off.

I tried very hard to keep dirt out of my tank and vacuumed up every last bit of un eaten food.

I was wrong.

Now I take mud from a salt water bay and throw it in. I take garden soil (without pesticides) and throw it in. I feed earthworms full of dirt. I feed clams, mussels and whiteworms with as much dirt attached as I can find.

I never quarantine or medicate unless I purposely buy a very sick fish that I know will not live through the night and I experiment with questionable results.

I never worry if a fish I buy is in the same tank as fish with spots.

What I do is take that fish home as soon as I can and after a short acclimation, place it in my tank and try to get natural food into it. Natural food with living bacteria in it which is not usually commercially purchased food.

That food is deep frozen or irradiated to kill bacteria. I do use that food but I always supplement it with the foods I mentioned because without fresh, living bacteria, fish will always be at risk of dying from just about anything.

If you don’t believe any of this, go and watch Oprah give away Cadillacs to stray cats.

So agree

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, let's say that theoretically, you lived near the ocean, and could, again in theory, scoop up some "real" live sand instead of paying $$$$ for bags of the stuff from the store... would you? I mean, is that even legal (some of those beaches pay good money to keep their sand in place)?

Also, would you theoretically keep doing so a secret so as to not be flamed into oblivion by other reef2reefers? ;Blackeye

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B I'm still trying to convince the wife that a culture of white worms wouldn't be turned lose in the house if I started one lol.

I did discover one thing when I tried feeding some fresh mussel to the tank that other people may want to watch out for (hell I probably did it wrong anyways).
I broke open the shells, got rid of the little pieces of shell and dropped some bigger pieces into the tank with the meat attached, hoping to catch our new CBB eating. I know they can be notoriously fickle eaters in our tanks so I'm trying to make sure she stays healthy.
What I discovered was our scooter blenny was the first to go after the mussel. And the poor little guy wound up with a long string piece stuck on his gill or his tiny little mouth (couldn't tell for sure). This gave me my first chance ever to play fish Dr. Caught him in a net and used some tweezers to gently pull the stuck piece away. It's been almost 3 weeks now and he's showing no ill effects so maybe fish surgeon should be my career?
Second problem came up with our horseshoe crab. The clumsy little bulldozer ran over a piece of the shell with meat on it and got it stuck to himself and was freaking out dragging it everywhere. So it was my turn to play fish Dr. again. Caught him and gently got the piece off.
So if I try the fresh mussel again I'm going to make sure to chop it up off the shell into small pieces before putting it in the tank.

Now if our dang Lt Tang and Goldenhead Goby would stop turning sections of the tank into bare bottom. Destructive little sons of guns.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ElussssvReefSD, I would take some sand no matter where it was, but just for the bacteria because most beach sand is to fine. I would put it in my pocket, no one would care. :cool:

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in other words... you don't think this would necessarily be frowned upon?

images.jpg

I need a lot of sand... ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not the smartest fish keeper in the world, but I am probably one of the oldest. Being one of the oldest, I have also had more time to study this stuff and more time to make mistakes. Mistakes are one way we learn. A very good way.

It's actually how they train you in basic training in the Army or Marines. By forcing you to do impossible tasks, knowing you can't do them, then punishing you for not doing it correctly. Eventually, you learn what they want you to do while never completing those tasks correctly.

Trust me, it works.

I was a Noob at one time and that time was the 1950s, yes the world as we know it was around then and so were fish. We had the same problems then as we do now but a few of us learned, after many dead fish what we were doing wrong and I think I got it.

Most people in this hobby do something and it works, and they think they found the secret, but we may be talking about a time frame of a few months or a couple of years. A common hermit crab lives over 12 years so if we keep one for a couple of years, it is not "Great Success". To have a reef tank for four or five years without crashing, although is an accomplishment that few people ever attain is also not a Great Success and we should strive for more. We should always strive for more.

IMO a reef tank should be immortal or "live" as long as it's owner. Of course fish are not immortal, but most of them live much longer than people stay in this hobby.

Corals are immortal and can keep living while growing new polyps on top of older ones. That’s how reefs grow.

I feel the biggest mistake we make (and us Geezers who started this hobby are the cause) is keeping our tanks to clean.

Our gravel or sand is to clean, and our food is to clean and our water is to clean.

I will get to clean water later as it even sounds weird to me.

Fish, birds, whales, lizzards, earthworms, Liberals, Conservatives and us all have a symbiotic relationship with bacteria, viruses and parasites.

Viruses, bacteria and parasites have been here longer than us and will be here when we all go to Mars because this planet has nothing left but plastic.

In a tank, any tank, except a quarantined or medicated tank, bacteria run everything. We forget about them, but it is the bacteria that call the shots, not us.

Bacteria have their own problems as viruses also affect and kill them. Bacteria hate that.

Parasites are also infected by bacteria and viruses.

Probably funguses also, but I am guessing.

Anyway, we call those things “disease organisms” because they can make us sick, but we forget that without them, we couldn’t live.

Our stomach is loaded with both beneficial and harmful bacteria. They live in harmony along with the funguses and viruses. Seawater is loaded with all of those things and that is natural and the way it should be.

We have problems when we mess with that system. If we kill bacteria, the viruses can take over as can the parasites.

If we for instance use copper, we will kill the parasites and bacteria, but not the viruses.

We really can’t kill the viruses (as Covid 19 taught us) because viruses are not alive to start with but we can disintegrate them using UV light or ozone.

So if we kill one of the pathogens, we allow the remaining ones to thrive and cause problems.

We can of course kill everything by using drugs along with UV and Ozone but should we?

It sounds like a good plan but have you seen anyone who just had Chemo and radiation to kill cancer?

Those people have no immunity to anything and although they are kept in a sterile environment, many of them die anyway because we can’t live like that in the real world.

Neither can fish.

In some cases we do have to resort to that drastic measure and sometimes it works. But not usually and it could take years for that fish to regain its compliment of stomach flora where it could live a normal life free from disease with a functioning immune system.

The problem with killing everything is of course that the bacteria, parasites and viruses will all infect the fish at different times and whichever comes first can overwhelm the fishes immune system because those things no longer are living in harmony where they can all keep each other in check.

In nature none of those pathogens get the upper hand because they evolved to counteract each other.

If we disrupt the cycle, we cause problems and tank crashes.

I propose, and it has worked for decades for me and other successful aquarists with long lasting reefs, that instead of trying to limit or eliminate natural pathogens leaving the fish open to disease, we cultivate those things, "in proportion" with each other leaving the fish with a strong immune system that it evolved with.

Remember, in the sea the fish are living with every aquatic disease there is with no problem. They only have problems after they are collected, shipped and put in our tanks.

There is no reason for them to have problems as my fish realize including my almost 30 year olds.

I know many, or all the fish we buy don’t look very good and are all infected with something. But remember, they are “always” infected with something because fish eat and breathe pathogens as they live. In the sea their immune system has no problems dealing with those afflictions because the fish is not stressed and is eating there natural food which is loaded with bacteria.

It’s the pathogens that tell the fishes immune system what method to use to eradicate that organism.

Remember in the sea fish normally eat living prey. They rarely eat sterile pellets, flakes or freeze dried anything. The prey they eat is always loaded with bacteria, parasites and viruses in the same proportions as are already in the fishes gut. Fish and us can’t digest food without bacteria which is the reason so many fish die while being medicated with copper or other drugs. It kills their stomach bacteria. It’s simple.

I mentioned before that our water is to clean and that may sound counterproductive because coral reefs are thought to be pristine. But the difference in water from a coral reef and our tanks is that the water on a coral reef has been there long before Betty White was born and many of our tanks were started a week from last Tuesday. Seawater actually gets better with age, to an extent.

If new, clean seawater was so good, why do new tanks look lousy? Why do new tanks, with all new water have so many diseases? Why do Noobs lose so many fish?

It’s because bacteria, viruses, corals, seaweed, rocks, meteorites, shipwrecks, whales and waste water from frankfurter carts in New York City all end up in the sea and all of those things are what fish evolved in. OK, maybe not the frankfurter carts. But it takes time for those organisms to reach a point where they are in sync with each other and none of them out weigh or out perform each other.

I was also under the impression that we needed to keep everything sterile. I wouldn’t think to put my hands in the tank without rinsing many times to get every trace of soap off.

I tried very hard to keep dirt out of my tank and vacuumed up every last bit of un eaten food.

I was wrong.

Now I take mud from a salt water bay and throw it in. I take garden soil (without pesticides) and throw it in. I feed earthworms full of dirt. I feed clams, mussels and whiteworms with as much dirt attached as I can find.

I never quarantine or medicate unless I purposely buy a very sick fish that I know will not live through the night and I experiment with questionable results.

I never worry if a fish I buy is in the same tank as fish with spots.

What I do is take that fish home as soon as I can and after a short acclimation, place it in my tank and try to get natural food into it. Natural food with living bacteria in it which is not usually commercially purchased food.

That food is deep frozen or irradiated to kill bacteria. I do use that food but I always supplement it with the foods I mentioned because without fresh, living bacteria, fish will always be at risk of dying from just about anything.

If you don’t believe any of this, go and watch Oprah give away Cadillacs to stray cats.

Outstanding

MangroveCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your some logical answers that we end up nit picking at and cause more problems than good! I need to learn more about using the ocean mud and test this out on one os my systems!!

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B
I have followed post of your threads and I beleive in most of your views reguarding fish husbandry as well. Can you please tell about your dosing regiment if you do any (2 part or alk etc..) and your water change routine.. Thanks man.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in other words... you don't think this would necessarily be frowned upon?

Not at all. :D

Reesj, I use two part calcium and alk that I mix. It's dry stuff. I add an ounce of each part every day (when I remember) and every few weeks I test the alk. I rarely test the calcium but I probably should, it just seems to stay around 400.

I now live near the sea but for most of the life of the tank I used ASW with a few gallons of NSW as I could collect it.

Now I back my car up to the sea and using a bilge pump, pump seawater into my Jeep.
I bring it home and pump it into a vat and usually diatom filter it because I am taking it from the surf and it is full of sand, seaweed and everything else that gets churned up.
This would make my water cloudy so I filter it.

I used to be able to go out in my boat and get clearer water but where I live now that is not possible as my boat is at the end of a 20 mile salt water bay which is fed by a river. There is also a large duck farm there and the water is scurvy and brackish. Nothing would live in it except ducks and I don't keep those.

I would have to go out very far to get decent water.
I change about 40 gallons about 4 sometimes 5 times a year.

I get it from here on the Long Island Sound near Riverhead which is basicaly the Atlantic Ocean.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some tidbits of reading on why it is important to "not" mess up the natural system:

Parasite–Host Coevolution

Host and parasite populations can evolve together, each in response to selection imposed by the other.

When parasite and host each possess specific adaptations, it suggests that the strong selection pressure they impose on each other has caused both populations to evolve.

Vertebrate immune systems have “memory cells” that can recognize microparasites from previous exposures.

Viruses are well known for attacking humans and animals, but some viruses instead attack bacteria. Texas A&M University researchers are exploring how hungry viruses, armed with transformer-like weapons, attack bacteria, which may aid in the treatment of bacterial infections.

The Texas A&M researchers' work is published in the journal Nature Structural & Molecular Biology.
The attackers are called phages, or bacteriophages, meaning eaters of bacteria.

Pathogens
Natural enemy pathogens are microorganisms including certain bacteria, fungi, nematodes, protozoa, and viruses that can infect and kill the host. (The host meaning the parasite: Me)

Ever-escalating “arms races” rarely occur. ("In Nature", By me)
An arms race may stop because of trade-offs: a trait that improves host defenses or parasite counterdefenses may reduce some other aspect of growth, survival, or reproduction.

Last edited:

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all. :D

Reesj, I use two part calcium and alk that I mix. It's dry stuff. I add an ounce of each part every day (when I remember) and every few weeks I test the alk. I rarely test the calcium but I probably should, it just seems to stay around 400.

I now live near the sea but for most of the life of the tank I used ASW with a few gallons of NSW as I could collect it.

Now I back my car up to the sea and using a bilge pump, pump seawater into my Jeep.
I bring it home and pump it into a vat and usually diatom filter it because I am taking it from the surf and it is full of sand, seaweed and everything else that gets churned up.
This would make my water cloudy so I filter it.

I used to be able to go out in my boat and get clearer water but where I live now that is not possible as my boat is at the end of a 20 mile salt water bay which is fed by a river. There is also a large duck farm there and the water is scurvy and brackish. Nothing would live in it except ducks and I don't keep those.

I would have to go out very far to get decent water.
I change about 40 gallons about 4 sometimes 5 times a year.

I get it from here on the Long Island Sound near Riverhead which is basicaly the Atlantic Ocean.

Thanks. I also used to get nsw from a beach around here every other week before covid in March. I used to take 2 10 liter jugs and bring home near 10-18l of water. Then I would sometimes mix few more store bought salt with it for water changes. Although my main reasons for that was the cost in making salt at home lol. Naw collection is easy as I tend to go to my wives parents house and the beach like 3km from there.

Although I just gets nsw from from about 2-3 feet deep water from incoming tides. I did how ever made sure to pick up some nsw last time I went to Hikkaduwa coral reef. I even spilled some water at the back of car lol. I believe the large pods(only once I got) I have are from that which was my aim.

To be honest I specifically picked my last vacation to Hikkaduwa so I can collect some NSW. Crazy stuff we do for this hoby

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you live?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% agree with you. I was about to post about my theory of Dino's and their relationship with beneficial bacteria. I believe this hobby is focusing more on sparkling clean tanks with dry rocks and bare bottom tanks. I have an Acro dominate tank and I do like the look of clean rock, etc. I am not saying anything is wrong with dry rock and BB tanks, however I understand that algae and bacteria are as natural as the corals.

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NashobaTek the scallops may be better than the shrimp but neither of those foods are real good. The shrimps you have have no head or guts and shrimp are not filter feeders, but better than Oreo cookies.
So if one has the luxury of time and access to seafood markets to make their own frozen food mixture, what would you reccomend to go in it?

Majority of ingredients I've read hobbyists include in their mix is fish fillets, prawns/shrimps, squid, scallops and clams. Plus the typical packaged nutrients like selcon and spirulina etc

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 49 49.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back