A Huge Problem IMO as to why tanks crash and we have so many problems with just about everything.

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it isn't there? Maybe it's only on my computer.
So under my posts you don't see a link to the book? Interesting.

They let me put it here because I don't get anything from the book. 100% of the profits go to Multiple Sclerosis research.

Lately, probably due to the virus they have been flying off the shelves and people are getting mad at me because they have to cut down most of the rain forest to keep copies coming.
They have resorted to buying particle board at Home Depot to make paper so they can print more books because I wright just like Edgar Allen Poe and he doesn't even have a reef tank, just a fish only and I understand it always has ich. :p

Its currently in the Kindle Unlimited collection.

Would it benefit anyone if I purchased a paper copy, or should I rent the use of some electrons to read this epic masterpiece?

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul donates proceeds to a charity for MS.
My wife will have a heart attack if I have a book delivered that isn’t for work, I’m not big into reading books.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link PaulB, I missed it right there in your signature because I was distracted by something shiny. I'm headed over to Amazon right now, thanks again sir!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it benefit anyone if I purchased a paper copy, or should I rent the use of some electrons to read this epic masterpiece?

All profits go to MS research usually in my wife's name as she has had the disease for 25 years and isn't doing real well.
So Thanks. It doesn't matter which way you read it.

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now see why I did not see your signature. While using R2R on a mobile browser, it does not show signatures. While I am on my PC, I see you signature.

I bought a paper back copy of your book, for just in case the internet goes away, but we're still able to get reef tank supplies still.

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"If new, clean seawater was so good, why do new tanks look lousy?" Because they don't have the bacterial load built up enough to break down organic pollutants. Fish tank keeping 101.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sterile, dead/fake rock, 0 hitchhiker method of reefing is a complete joke IMO. How do you create a thriving ecosystem without its major building blocks? I want to build a tank that takes care of itself, not one dependent on huge constant water changes, chemicals, and gizmos.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sterile, dead/fake rock, 0 hitchhiker method of reefing is a complete joke IMO. How do you create a thriving ecosystem without its major building blocks? I want to build a tank that takes care of itself, not one dependent on huge constant water changes, chemicals, and gizmos.
I agree I’m upgrading tanks next week my current tank is going good right now and I’m wanting to use new water for the swap. I’m on the no water change for the new tank but want to get my parameters back in line. The last water change I did was 90 gallons on my 120 gallon tank. I mixed up new water outside and added a little old tank water and let mix for three days. I’m wondering if I should do the same for the new tank?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best way to age new saltwater before a large water change?

You really can't. But the water you are adding is not the issue. It's the water that is already in your tank. If you keep changing it, most of it is always new. I think we change far to much water. Don't go crazy.
There is rarely anything in your water that is harmful unless your kid dumps in crankcase oil or root beer.

I want to build a tank that takes care of itself, not one dependent on huge constant water changes, chemicals, and gizmos.

My tank is like that. I change some water a few times a year but I really don't have to. I just like collecting it in the sea. :D
I feel, after decades my own tank is a thriving ecosystem and I hardly even have to feed the fish (but I do)

Many of my fish never eat what I give them preferring to hunt on their own and most of those fish are many years old.
The back and sides of my tank host a large variety of algaes and sponges that supply all sorts of creatures that the fish eat.
My tank is also composed of a huge system of caves and tunnels were many fish spend their time.
Some of my fish I have almost never seen in years because of that. Those of course are the types of fish that prefer that type of living. They are there, living like they want, not like I want which is why just about all of them only die of old age.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I’m upgrading tanks next week my current tank is going good right now and I’m wanting to use new water for the swap. I’m on the no water change for the new tank but want to get my parameters back in line. The last water change I did was 90 gallons on my 120 gallon tank. I mixed up new water outside and added a little old tank water and let mix for three days. I’m wondering if I should do the same for the new tank?

No doubt water changes are important, especially in new tanks. I wouldnt attempt 0 water changes until a tank is very mature. Even then I would still do a small handful per year.

Whenever I upgrade/downgrade tanks I try to use as much water from my old tank as possible (unless it has some sort of problem). I think it helps reduce the amount of stress put on fish/corals. Just be sure you use water you siphon out before you start removing rock and stuff, you want the cleanest water possible.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really can't. But the water you are adding is not the issue. It's the water that is already in your tank. If you keep changing it, most of it is always new. I think we change far to much water. Don't go crazy.
There is rarely anything in your water that is harmful unless your kid dumps in crankcase oil or root beer.

My tank is like that. I change some water a few times a year but I really don't have to. I just like collecting it in the sea. :D
I feel, after decades my own tank is a thriving ecosystem and I hardly even have to feed the fish (but I do)

Many of my fish never eat what I give them preferring to hunt on their own and most of those fish are many years old.
The back and sides of my tank host a large variety of algaes and sponges that supply all sorts of creatures that the fish eat.
My tank is also composed of a huge system of caves and tunnels were many fish spend their time.
Some of my fish I have almost never seen in years because of that. Those of course are the types of fish that prefer that type of living. They are there, living like they want, not like I want which is why just about all of them only die of old age.

Although I have gone through many tanks, the rocks and corals and select fish have stayed the same. My select pieces of liverock have been in my care for close to 15 years. I have so much life on my rocks. Mysis shrimp spawns at night, worms, dusters, bristle worms, unknown snails, amphipods of various types, sponges, tunicates, anemones, etc. My oldest fish is at least 11 years old and I have had many of the same coral strains for the better part of a decade.. Water changes, don't really need them but do them every so often for the heck of it. I just sit back and laugh at the "supposed" gurus on this site who will be gone from the hobby in 3 years.

That being said I have admired your tank for about as long as I can remember. You are an inspiration!

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt water changes are important, especially in new tanks. I wouldnt attempt 0 water changes until a tank is very mature. Even then I would still do a small handful per year.

Whenever I upgrade/downgrade tanks I try to use as much water from my old tank as possible (unless it has some sort of problem). I think it helps reduce the amount of stress put on fish/corals. Just be sure you use water you siphon out before you start removing rock and stuff, you want the cleanest water possible.
Well I have multiple problems. The biggest problem is Dino witch I haven’t seen in months now but I know they are still around. Calcium is over 500. Phosphate 0.41. I will be transferring the old sand that I will rinse very well. I’ve done a few rip cleans with all new water the fish and corals did fine but Dino did bloom.
34C2ED67-A01B-49A5-971E-5792715F4C52.jpeg

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have multiple problems. The biggest problem is Dino witch I haven’t seen in months now but I know they are still around. Calcium is over 500. Phosphate 0.41. I will be transferring the old sand that I will rinse very well. I’ve done a few rip cleans with all new water the fish and corals did fine but Dino did bloom.
34C2ED67-A01B-49A5-971E-5792715F4C52.jpeg

That tank looks good to me. Crittters like dinos will always be there. Just need a balanced ecosystem to not allow them to thrive. If the dinos have leveled out then they are no longer a problem. I dont test my water cause as long as the corals are good then I have nothing to worry about so perhaps my numbers are "worse" than yours.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t touched that 160 pounds of Oolite since I put it in a year and half ago. I’m a little nervous about transferring it to a new refugium.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back