A Pale Blue Dot 2.0

chrishet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R's. I'm starting this new tank build thread and look forward to posting, learning, and networking! This is my second tank build thread here in R2R. My first build can be seen here,

A Pale Blue Dot – My SPS Dominated Reef

As with PBD 1.0, my inspiration for this new tank will be the Cosmos, thus the reference to Carl Sagan’s famous words after seeing a photograph of Earth taken from Voyager I as it left our solar system. As some here may know, I am a photographer and my favorite subjects have been rocket launches and deep space objects. This will be a very interesting project for me as I will continue to try to bring into this reef some of the shapes and colors often seen in my deep space photos. It may not turn out this way but it gives me something to work towards, and it should be a lot of fun!

I've been thinking for quite some time about redoing the rock work and cleaning up the growth in my existing tank. The problem I have with its current configuration is it traps a lot of detritus in the STAX rock islands. I also have done some construction in my office that called for a smaller tank stand, so I figured this is a good of a time as any to just start a build from scratch and move my inhabitants.

First things first....I had Planet Aquariums build me a custom tank, 36x22x21. She is a real beauty! Coming from a Reef Savvy tank my standards were high and I am not disappointed in the build quality thus far.

I also purchased a new stand, its an 80/20 stand by Alufab. I'm also very impressed with this buy. It is solid, easy to build, and very customizable. I doubt I'll ever own another wood stand!

I also got a new sump, a Synergy Reef RM-34. The build quality is very nice and has the option to have a Roller Mat which will be new for me. I currently have a MRC sump that is built like a tank so my standards are high here as well...can't wait to get it wet!

Finally, for now, I am building the aquascape using Caribsea Arches. These were not cheap but I really liked how they fit together and provide for a lot of surface area with plenty of places for the fish to swim and hide, and provide for that minimalistic (not NSA structure) that I am looking for.

Its going to be a tough project but in the end I will have a cleaner setup, more simplistic design, on a smaller foot print....stay tuned!

Best regards,
Chris

OP
OP
chrishet

chrishet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this look? I have more rock but I like how this looks, minimal rock used, lots of space for the fish to swim around, lots of surface area for SPS...and I think I can get a lot of flow through there from the sides and back.
PBD2-0-0341.jpg
PBD2-0-0340.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back