a working dsb

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 200 lbs of sand for my 240g. I have about 80 lbs of Special Grade, 40 lbs medium sized, and 80 lbs sugar fine. I plan on putting the sugar on the bottom and mixing the other two together to add to the top for my shrimp goby/jawfish/pistol to hang out in. When I do a water change I will vacuum just the very top without disturbing the sand bed. What do you guys think?
still fishing for the best sand size, but once you get it in and established, you want worms. Every spaghetti, tube worm etc you can get your hands on to seed it. In my old favorite tank, when I fed, 10,000 tiny arms came out and cleaned for me.
So I wouldn't vacc at all. good flow to keep particles in suspension is important to get it to the skimmer esp important in the beginning as you wont have worms yet.. I seeded mine heavily from the older tanks.
Yes, I have never thrown sand out. I have the same sand and worm grandchildren from my first 10g.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DSB was actually black sand and aragonite that was about 9" deep. That tank was up for over 5 years before the crash. I also did very minimal water changes as I was growing macro algae like weeds.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 60 lbs of this live sand to put in the tank

20160301_144425.jpg
yea see above. Honestly I dont know.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DSB was actually black sand and aragonite that was about 9" deep. That tank was up for over 5 years before the crash. I also did very minimal water changes as I was growing macro algae like weeds.
There you go. Experience. Thanks!
We worry too much.
Was it a mix?

jamie callard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats good to here this will be in a fuge growing algee and not doing any water changes in that tank. Just pulling from the system in general from the main tank. Still debating what life i will put in to it. From reading no goby in this tank. Plan to have it be 7 to 8" deep. Open to advise of what to add to this tank. There is a waterfall into the main so pods hopefully will become food

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black DSB. Interesting. The only way I know to tell is by the black spots, so I think it would be incredibly difficult to tell. Tag me in your thread so I can follow that one.
Following in detail question if sand starts black is there a way to tell that your bed is dieing. I have. 90g tank adding a 56g fuge that will have a deep sand bed but it will be black photos to come on friday

TCFletch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if it's ok to rinse established sand from one tank and put in another tank without causing a crash? The sand has some cyno on it and I would like to rinse it off and put it in my new tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if it's ok to rinse established sand from one tank and put in another tank without causing a crash? The sand has some cyno on it and I would like to rinse it off and put it in my new tank.
yup. i have and do.

TCFletch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worried about a gas crash. But if I rinse really good that should release any harmful gases. I'll lose a lot of beneficial bugs but they'll be back. I gotta remember to wear gloves! :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worried about a gas crash. But if I rinse really good that should release any harmful gases. I'll lose a lot of beneficial bugs but they'll be back. I gotta remember to wear gloves! :)
keep some for seed. I dont know that a gas crash is all the common. If it smells like rotten eggs now it will later too.

jamie callard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black DSB. Interesting. The only way I know to tell is by the black spots, so I think it would be incredibly difficult to tell. Tag me in your thread so I can follow that one.
How do i tag so i can do that on sat when i add the photos

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to rinse it and order to release the gas. Just separate the sand from your tank Preferably by a valve not by disturbing it and stir it up so all the gas comes out Then drain the water

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the best, least expensive, place to get worms? I'm getting ready to purchase Garf.org bag-o-bugs, but it seems very expensive.

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the best, least expensive, place to get worms? I'm getting ready to purchase Garf.org bag-o-bugs, but it seems very expensive.
Mine was packed with all sorts of life, including spaghetti worms. There was another place called Pacific something i think? Not at home where i have it bookmarked. I dont know if they are still around though

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's indo-pacific sea farms they're kind of expensive too. Did you get the bag o bugs alucard?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 95 44.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 100 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 21 9.7%
Back