Aaron's 1,000+ gallon reef build

Maybe try a piece of fishing line in the middle thru the acrylic up the light rack for added support in the center?
 
Maybe try a piece of fishing line in the middle thru the acrylic up the light rack for added support in the center?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Definitely thought about that several times. Only reason I can’t do it is because of how difficult it would make it to remove the middle acrylic sheet. I tend to remove the lids often. So I’ll just spend $30 for the iron rod and be done with it.
 
Got some mounts for the controllers. No more Velcro that doesn’t hold.
3e4247cdde95e6457c6ad57c0b30a055.jpg

This is the second test run of the supports for the tops. This test run is with 1 3/8” closet rods. I painted them white with water resistant deck paint. They are working well except for the middle one. It says too much and is in the water. I will replace the middle one with a
1 3/8” iron rod.
786d48bf90d96dabae1a620b2a847a42.jpg

I’m using acrylic sheets as my tops. Got them from a local vendor for a good price. They don’t full fit (front to back they cover 90-95%) but for the price I couldn’t pass them up.
64b0db00f451e57c0fd5dd9e1e3cf482.jpg

Maybe try putting the wood or iron rod inside a pvc pipe to make it waterproof and provide extra rigidity.
 
This is an awesome build . It is inspiring me to build one this large when the time is right . I have a question, and please others with Large tanks chime in . Do you have to change out that much water a month ? Wouldn’t it stay pretty low , I mean unless you have like 3-400 fish . With Tanks this Large wouldn’t it be easier to just replace elements with a calcium reactor and do water changes like every 3-4 months
 
Have you thought about using the clear corrugated plastic roofing panels? You can get them at Lowe’s/HD. You might not have to use the cross bars or could use fewer. A lot of people use them over indoor ponds to help keep humidity down.
 
Have you thought about using the clear corrugated plastic roofing panels? You can get them at Lowe’s/HD. You might not have to use the cross bars or could use fewer. A lot of people use them over indoor ponds to help keep humidity down.

Yes I have and did use them as a temporary fix till I found something that I liked better.
9fa1c2a503c5ca85b0bab5ba059083c0.jpg
 
This is an awesome build . It is inspiring me to build one this large when the time is right . I have a question, and please others with Large tanks chime in . Do you have to change out that much water a month ? Wouldn’t it stay pretty low , I mean unless you have like 3-400 fish . With Tanks this Large wouldn’t it be easier to just replace elements with a calcium reactor and do water changes like every 3-4 months

Livestock load does determine a lot. So with a bigger tank like this, I’d say every few months would be fine
 
I was just curious if you have to cycle the tank still even tho your using sea water already?

Beneficial bacteria technically lives on surfaces. Although bacteria most likely lives in the water column too, I thought best to wait 4-5 months for proper cycles to happen. On a tank this big, it can’t hurt to take your time.
 
Wife wanted to go couch shopping for the front of the tank. She ended up shopping for stacked stone. This is a very very proud and happy time for me.
I still have some more to finish next week I’m home.
801de88c57e7f48c07b116e124d0f8f6.jpg

40e400d96a7d147ed36f964b65129421.jpg

400da772627f52b993f26faaa0270e7f.jpg

5adc4bac16dfbbf292aa800f0fa076a2.jpg

976de38732ea366de1a8215ee5786c15.jpg

966361fd08b3aeb77b1c31e39ff132ce.jpg

That looks great.
Some things are better be left done by others... happy moments to have the family working at one project!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new