Aaron's 1,000+ gallon reef build

Going to keep the Plastic lid on or is that temporary?

Temporary. I’ll find something that looks better in the future. For now it helps with heat and water loss. And since I have nothing going on it the tank I don’t mind it being there
 
Temporary. I’ll find something that looks better in the future. For now it helps with heat and water loss. And since I have nothing going on it the tank I don’t mind it being there
Cool, just wondering. Wasn’t sure the best way to approach a cover for something like that, or if you even try.
 
Cool, just wondering. Wasn’t sure the best way to approach a cover for something like that, or if you even try.

Yeah that’s my problem with it. How to successfully cover this beast. This was a great option considering I found those sheets for $20 total.
 
Yeah that’s my problem with it. How to successfully cover this beast. This was a great option considering I found those sheets for $20 total.
You could do diy screen top, but it would be in sections. Maybe do some big sections and one small one for easy access for feeding and stuff like that. Just a thought.
 
I know I'm late to the party, but I'd like to toss in my recommendation for the Apex DOS system for water changes on a large system such as this. I have it setup on my 225 and its so nice not to have to lug buckets of water back and forth every week like I used to. If you decide to go that route, I would recommend buying a large industrial water storage vat(as big as you have room for) and a 200 or 300GPD RODI unit, that way you only have to mix your salt water maybe once or twice a month, instead of weekly.

However since you have a significant amount of freedom with your setup space, you could probably just put a T-Junction+Gate valve on your return pump so you can reroute the water down the drain, I've seen other large systems setup this way. Then refilling would be your only challenge.
 
Last edited:
I know I'm late to the party, but I'd like to toss in my recommendation for the Apex DOS system for water changes on a large system such as this. I have it setup on my 225 and its so nice not to have to lug buckets of water back and forth every week like I used to. If you decide to go that route, I would recommend buying a large industrial water storage vat(as big as you have room for) and a 200 or 300GPD RODI unit, that way you only have to mix your salt water maybe once or twice a month, instead of weekly.

However since you have a significant amount of freedom with your setup space, you could probably just put a T-Junction+Gate valve on your return pump so you can reroute the water down the drain, I've seen other large systems setup this way. Then refilling would be your only challenge.

Great advice man. I’m not sure if I want to do auto water changes. I have a tote that holds 275 gallons and I have access to filtered NSW. So all I do is dump 275 gallons and then gravity feed in the fresh saltwater from the back of my truck. Should be fairly easy for me.

But I never thought of the T off the return pump. That’s a fantastic idea. I’ll be using that idea.
 
But I never thought of the T off the return pump. That’s a fantastic idea. I’ll be using that idea.

Glad I could help! LOL!

Yeah I bought my tank off another member here on R2R and he had his setup that way. I was going to do my setup that way but doing the auto water changes just worked better logistically.
 
Glad I could help! LOL!

Yeah I bought my tank off another member here on R2R and he had his setup that way. I was going to do my setup that way but doing the auto water changes just worked better logistically.
I would like to jump in here if that ok because I have been considering going with this setup. Is the apex dos indicated for auto water changes? I was wondering if I was going burn out an expensive pump by overrunning it. How long does a 5 gallon water change take? Thanks!
 
I would like to jump in here if that ok because I have been considering going with this setup. Is the apex dos indicated for auto water changes? I was wondering if I was going burn out an expensive pump by overrunning it. How long does a 5 gallon water change take? Thanks!
Yes, there is a "water change" task already setup within APEX to use with the DOS pump. The way it works is it pumps several hundred ml every 10 minutes or so and will adjust how much it pumps out per cycle based on your total volume being changed and the hours per day you set the pump to run. I have mine setup to do 2% a week, or a gallon a day, and it usually takes about an hour to finish.
 
Last edited:
Any new updates on this incredible build? I can’t wait to see this thing full of life!
 
Any new updates on this incredible build? I can’t wait to see this thing full of life!

Yes. Just added the first fish.
7 yellow tangs, 12 banggai cardinals captive bred, fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp.

d48db9a6370aa14d607446e3de520974.jpg


8f1ce3227ca15e6ba58cc60badc75f53.jpg

ee0deb38277a6ad828cb016057da39e3.jpg

68709bbdbf5d4d8cb82dd558b9b7e34f.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new