Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

Couple small updates:

I installed the Klir Di-4 about a week ago. It was fairly straightforward to do, a little bit of a pain threading the floss through the body, but if you only do it every 30-60 days it shouldn't be a big deal.

IMG_2905.JPG

The one question I had about it is... Will there be enough clearance in the sock tray to the overflow into the sump area. The Klir requires 1.5".

IMG_2911.JPG

However I am happy to report that the water level does get high enough to trigger the float sensor. HOWEVER, it didn't wind floss this morning and I found the controller beeping. Double checked that the floss isn't hung anywhere in the body (it's not) and contacted coralvue today to see if we can come to a solution. I wonder if the motor is just DOA.

Last big update is... I setup my Fuge!

IMG_2916.JPG

Running the Kessil H80 with Chaeto. So we'll see how well this does. I've had the larger Kessil on a bigger tank a while back and found it to be majorly overkill.

Also... The 50 is showing it's first signs of life... check out these little guys, they are Orange Storms!

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, so it's been a few weeks since my last update...

Really all I've done is replace the Klir with normal filter socks. I love the idea of a drop in fleece roller, but it was too difficult to get working correctly. So I have 5 weeks worth of socks on hand and I'll just swap them out.

I also added a Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse, a couple of Mexican turbos, a tiger conch, and a tuxedo urchin to the tank. I moved my pistol shrimp/Yasha goby pair over as well and they made a cool burrow under the front-most rock structure.

IMG_3152.JPG

Oh, I also moved my RBTA over as well -- I didn't really have a place to keep him in my smaller tank so I just dropped him in and we'll see how he does.
IMG_3158.JPG

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a cover ASAP before your wrasse or clowns go carpet surfing. Looking very nice otherwise.
Yep it’s on the list. Just looking into places to have one made and also trying to finalize my lighting decision before I commit to cutouts.

In the meantime I’ve done some reading on moonlight cycles reducing fish bolting at night and jumping (among other benefits). So I’ve added several hours of moonlight to my tanks.

A0CC6CE7-02F1-4E1C-806D-FE78DFDBE1B5.jpeg

This looks 10x brighter than it actually is.

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update? Considering both this tank and sump!

Hey, I actually made a video tank tour here:

Full transparency I'm not sure if I'm going to keep up making videos. The filming process is just enough extra effort to keep me delaying projects so I wind up not doing them. Last night I decided to just get the screen top kit built instead of messing with setting up cameras and doing time lapses etc....
IMG_3393.jpeg

So glad I did, it came out amazing. This is the BRS DIY Kit, I highly recommend it.

As you can see in the video above, the corals are looking really nice so far:

_DSF9072.jpg

_DSF9049-2.jpg

_DSF9016.jpg

_DSF8976.jpg

So now it's mostly a wait and enjoy game. Watching the tank mature and develop, little tweaks as required. I've slowed my coral acquisition just to let stuff get settled and really hone in on the pieces I really want (Aussie Gold anyone?).

I seriously considered switching out the Hydra32's for XR15 G5 Pros, but I think ultimately I would just be splitting hairs on performance. Are the Radions better than Hydras? Maybe, but it's likely not a difference I would notice in any practical capacity.

Then the only thing I am fixing to change soon is to hang the lights from the ceiling. The tank mounts interfere with the lid, and I think hanging them will look really clean regardless.

@BillyW feel free to DM me here or over on IG at redoreefer with any questions on my setup. Happy to talk you through my decision process.

ranchhand02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. I like the idea of using a roller mat of some kind on a future build. How come it would not work on your build?

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I suppose it's time for an update...

Reef keeping is difficult. Currently, I'm at a low point; about two weeks ago I hung my lights from the ceiling to get the mounts off either side of my tank.

IMG_3577.JPG

In doing so I got a little sheetrock in my tank - didn't think it was a big deal (still don't honestly) but I did a 20% water change.

A couple of days after that I noticed my euphylia wasn't opening or looking so hot -- Did some testing, my nutrients were pretty high but everything else looked pretty normal as expected.

IMG_3586.JPG

IMG_3588.JPG

Also noticed what looks to be some sort of algae or dinos popping up.

So I'm at a bit of a loss. It's a bit of a drag because some stuff looks alright, but my Euphylia (my favorites) get worse daily.

IMG_3629.JPG

I've added a UV sterlizer and tossed some chemi-pure elite in the sump. Trying to do some water changes... but I think at this point I'm going to send an ICP test off next week and see if that sheds any light.

IMG_3638.JPG

Otherwise, it's just a big ole ball of bummer right now. Hopefully, it turns around soon.

On the upside I added a Trident - and I've really enjoyed the automated element testing -- Nice to keep an eye on my Alk, Cal, and Mag.

IMG_3470.jpeg

Anyway, that's all -- I'll report back once I get my hands on whatever is going on in this tank...

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I'd give a little more detail on my UV install - It currently is fed by a Sicce Syncra 1.0 from the skimmer compartment and returns to the return compartment to prevent recirculation.

IMG_3654.JPG

It's a bit sketch, but I've paired it with an LDK kit so if any hoses pop off the Apex should kill all the pumps till I can address the issue.

IMG_3655.JPG

It's early still, but I can tell you that the water is CRYSTAL clear since installation.

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Figured, after my last couple posts, I should chime back in... Stuff is looking better. My original Euphylias are not doing well:

IMG_3690.JPG

Honestly, don't know why... but I've just come to terms that there will be -some- losses in this hobby. Maybe they'll come around who knows.

But! Let's not dwell on this...

IMG_3693.JPG

Other stuff is looking good. I just picked up that little golden hammer and a goni from an LFS:

_DSF9346.jpg

_DSF9357.jpg

So far, they're doing great.

IMG_3694.JPG

Zoas are growing and looking nice. I do think I was having a Dino problem, and that was keeping everything looking ticked and closed. The UV I installed last week has been running 24/7 since, and most of that has cleared up.

The one other thing I noticed is... when I tested my PO4 last week it was:

Snoop-Dogg-cr-Kenneth-Cappello-billboard-1548-768x433.jpg

(high)

Like .28 high...

So with some pretty consistent water changes and a bag of Chemi Pure Elite, I am happy to say I'm back in the ballpark:

IMG_3696.JPG

So anyway, here's to the journey... Let's see what happens next!!

Back