About to call it quits,

luke fortunato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think about replacing the sand bed or washing it very good. Most likely the entire bloom is not being killed. I would encourage replacing tho

Last edited:

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you guys recommend the 4 stage twist RODI ? or is it not that great, seems affordable and compact

Not for your situation. If you have 3000 TDS coming in with low pressure, you need to start with an increase in the water pressure (it will improve the membrane efficiency), and probably add a second membrane and possibly an additional sediment filter.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to have to produce clean water. A dual ro membrane and a couple di stages will help achieve this. Without pictures it's impossible to say what is growing in your tank. .2 phosphate is pretty high and I would think you're dealing with something other than dinos as they are usually associated with ultra low nutrients.

I hate to break it to you, but a porcupine puffer has no business being in a reef tank. They grow to 18" and will kill everything in your tank. It's just a matter of time. And if you're not careful, that fish will take off your finger. This has happened a number of times. A sailfin tang also doesn't belong in a 75 gallon tank. These are big fish, both are going to create nutrient issues and the puffer is going to constantly whack your clean up crew. The clown goby will kill any SPS coral you may have or want to have.

Finally, without qt'ing fish, it's possible they are dealing with an external or internal parasite. Healthy one day and dropping dead the next would lead me to explore the possibility of internal parasites, but it's hard to say given the source water for the tank.

I wish you luck, but I think you need to make some major changes and come up with a sound vision of what you want this system to be.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly nothing, other then my yellow goby having bite marks in him 1 day from the puffer there has been no visual indications of disease or sickness that i see. Just 1 day they act strange and sort of shy away... then all of a sudden they are swimming sideways and drop. Yet my 2 clowns have been going strong since the start ? and they arent aggressive to others at all everyone gets along in this tank wonderfully. Hermits,snails and cleaner shrimp arent even bothered by the puffer.
It almost sounds like swim bladder disease but it doesn't explain the coral closing up unless SBD was caused by a stressor.
If you have time today and own a multimeter check for stray voltage. Positive end in the tank and negative on the screw holding the electrical socket cover on.

Guessing to some extent but I wouldn't lean toward dinos being an issue if all of your invertebrates are don't fine. IME they are the first to start dropping.

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you guys recommend the 4 stage twist RODI ? or is it not that great, seems affordable and compact
No. It's affordable on the front end, but filter replacements will cost significantly more over time. I would just add on to the system you already have.

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown goby will kill any SPS coral you may have or want to have.

Off topic but what? Everything I read said they are reef safe although they like to lay their eggs on the underside of sps which can irritate or kill the sps. That's not really a concern if there isn't a mated pair though.

Edit: whoops, sorry for the double post.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but what? Everything I read said they are reef safe although they like to lay their eggs on the underside of sps which can irritate or kill the sps. That's not really a concern if there isn't a mated pair though.

Edit: whoops, sorry for the double post.
On the wild reefs with big colonies and thousands to jump around on, but in a reef tank they will kill your small colonies. A search will reveal countless threads of hobbyists regretting adding them to their tank. They don't irritate SPS, they eat the tissue off the bases and branches and it's my understanding even kept singularly they will do this. There's also reports of nipping polyps and apparently they like to eat acro slime. I'd say they are not reef safe.

Keep in mind there's still a lot of bad salesmanship on the part of retailers. Take for example Live Aquaria who says the Clown Goby is reef safe, but only makes a slight mention it will nip SPS polyps. Or a Diamond Watchmen, which grows to 6 inches, can live in a 30 gallon tank. I guarantee that fish will starve to death in a 30 gallon tank.

Unfortunately, there's still bad info out there.

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have no input on this, I only have a few corals and they are softies....also I wouldn't even say they are corals anymore they look so sad. :/

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It's affordable on the front end, but filter replacements will cost significantly more over time. I would just add on to the system you already have.
It waseems mentioned to have x2 membranes is that possible with an rodI buddy ? :/

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the wild reefs with big colonies and thousands to jump around on, but in a reef tank they will kill your small colonies. A search will reveal countless threads of hobbyists regretting adding them to their tank. They don't irritate SPS, they eat the tissue off the bases and branches and it's my understanding even kept singularly they will do this. There's also reports of nipping polyps and apparently they like to eat acro slime. I'd say they are not reef safe.

Keep in mind there's still a lot of bad salesmanship on the part of retailers. Take for example Live Aquaria who says the Clown Goby is reef safe, but only makes a slight mention it will nip SPS polyps. Or a Diamond Watchmen, which grows to 6 inches, can live in a 30 gallon tank. I guarantee that fish will starve to death in a 30 gallon tank.

yep can confirm. i watched mine eat a frag of random 10$ frag over 2-3 days.

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Actik,
Sorry to hear about your troubles, it happens to everyone at some point, but you'll get through this don't give up! I REPEAT, DON'T GIVE UP! You'll be good.
My advice would be like others:
1.) Get your water right. Sounds like you have a RODI unit just use what you have. 5-7 gallons a day will work because even at that rate you only need 12 gallons to do a 15% water change. If you can add a booster and some DI that will help. I use BRS and they have a monthly 10% off sale. Want at least 60psi in my opinion. But if your TDS is high coming out your unit, you will be fighting an uphill battle. Not dead in the water by no means, just easier if you can keep TDS as close to zero as possible.
2.) Sounds like you've determined its Dino's. Everyone is right, about getting nutrients up. Your phosphate is a little high (goal .003-.10) but I wouldn't worry too much about that now. In the future you could use Brightwell Aquatics Phosphate E to lower them to a more desirable level. Need to get your nitrates to a detectable amount. When I had Dino's my phosphate was up and I couldn't get my Nitrates to go up till I started dosing nitrates. You might just be able to feed more. Since you mentioned you also have GHA, I would order some sort of bacteria like Microbacter 7 or Dr. Tims, and some Vibrant. I think if you started dosing like 8-9 mls of this weekly you'll start beating the dino's and the GHA (won't be right away, took me like 4-5 weeks). If you can afford a Jeboa UV sterilizer (amazon) and a pump to pump the water through it (prolly under $100) this would most likely help as well, just don't have it on for like 4 hrs after the dosing of M7 and Vibrant. Remember it took weeks to get to this spot it's going to take weeks to beat it. In my experience Dino's tick off your corals which is why they might not be opened up.
3.) As for your fish dying, I would think if you had a parasite it wouldn't target certain fish and not others. Sounds like your clownish are still doing well through this whole thing. In the future though I think before adding more fish grab a cheap little tank off petco or craigslist and use your tank water you're getting rid of during a water change to fill it and put new fish in that. Then a $10 heater, little HOB filter and you'll be good to go. Change the water out weekly and keep the fish under observance for a month. If all good add them to the tank.
4.) Post some Alk, Mag and Calcium levels. This could also be why your corals are closed up. Prolly the Dino's but worth checking.
5.) Lastly, if you think something has gotten in the tank and contaminated it (i don't personally think this is the case) you can order some Poly-filter off Amazon for $10. It helps absorb contaminants int he tank like certain metals and then changes colors to show what its absorbing. I've used it once and it works and is good for peace of mind.

Again, don't give up. 99% of reefers have this happen at least once (most more) and have felt like there's no hope fighting it, but it will get better guaranteed. Going to take time. Good Luck and keep us posted!!

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Actik,
Sorry to hear about your troubles, it happens to everyone at some point, but you'll get through this don't give up! I REPEAT, DON'T GIVE UP! You'll be good.
My advice would be like others:
1.) Get your water right. Sounds like you have a RODI unit just use what you have. 5-7 gallons a day will work because even at that rate you only need 12 gallons to do a 15% water change. If you can add a booster and some DI that will help. I use BRS and they have a monthly 10% off sale. Want at least 60psi in my opinion. But if your TDS is high coming out your unit, you will be fighting an uphill battle. Not dead in the water by no means, just easier if you can keep TDS as close to zero as possible.
2.) Sounds like you've determined its Dino's. Everyone is right, about getting nutrients up. Your phosphate is a little high (goal .003-.10) but I wouldn't worry too much about that now. In the future you could use Brightwell Aquatics Phosphate E to lower them to a more desirable level. Need to get your nitrates to a detectable amount. When I had Dino's my phosphate was up and I couldn't get my Nitrates to go up till I started dosing nitrates. You might just be able to feed more. Since you mentioned you also have GHA, I would order some sort of bacteria like Microbacter 7 or Dr. Tims, and some Vibrant. I think if you started dosing like 8-9 mls of this weekly you'll start beating the dino's and the GHA (won't be right away, took me like 4-5 weeks). If you can afford a Jeboa UV sterilizer (amazon) and a pump to pump the water through it (prolly under $100) this would most likely help as well, just don't have it on for like 4 hrs after the dosing of M7 and Vibrant. Remember it took weeks to get to this spot it's going to take weeks to beat it. In my experience Dino's **** off your corals which is why they might not be opened up.
3.) As for your fish dying, I would think if you had a parasite it wouldn't target certain fish and not others. Sounds like your clownish are still doing well through this whole thing. In the future though I think before adding more fish grab a cheap little tank off petco or craigslist and use your tank water you're getting rid of during a water change to fill it and put new fish in that. Then a $10 heater, little HOB filter and you'll be good to go. Change the water out weekly and keep the fish under observance for a month. If all good add them to the tank.
4.) Post some Alk, Mag and Calcium levels. This could also be why your corals are closed up. Prolly the Dino's but worth checking.
5.) Lastly, if you think something has gotten in the tank and contaminated it (i don't personally think this is the case) you can order some Poly-filter off Amazon for $10. It helps absorb contaminants int he tank like certain metals and then changes colors to show what its absorbing. I've used it once and it works and is good for peace of mind.

Again, don't give up. 99% of reefers have this happen at least once (most more) and have felt like there's no hope fighting it, but it will get better guaranteed. Going to take time. Good Luck and keep us posted!!
Thank you, that was very inspiring, kind and helpfull

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 20g AIO tank for about a year, 1x shrimp 2x clown fish and a few easy to keep coral. the tank did okay i decided to upgrade to a 75 gallon... ive had nothing but issues. I let the tank fully cycle added fine fiji pink sand ( prob wont go fine sand again) and the rocks/fish from my 20g everything was fine. I then later on added a midas blenny... he passed, no idea what the issue was big eater very active just woke up and he was dead. After a while i then purchased a yellow clown goby he also did well... then my gf suprised me and purchased 1 porcupine puffer and a desjardini tang. Everything was doing well for up to 2 months, then had those 2 big monster fish for all the 3rd month. Got a huge diatom bloom, continued to do 20% water changes and my fish are now dying off... And my corals are closed up.

i have x2 sunsun 840 ish gph powerheads
1x hydor 240 gph powerhead
x2 HOB 350 penguin filters.
Protein skimmer
eheim 300w heater.
And an ATO system.

Parameters are
Temperature 78
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0
nitrates are less then 5 ppm
PH is 8.2-8.4
Phosphates .2 ppm or less.

please help... i love the hobbie and wish i could just be success full at it...really dont know whats going on.
Actik, what is your vision for this tank? Is there another tank out there you love and would like to emulate? If so, what is it? I think we need to find a goal and then develop a plan on how to achieve it.

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats...unfortunate. I just bought one, it's been hiding for a few days now. Catching it would prove difficult.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect that your tank is suffocating with that bioload and only HOBs , there is a reason we take the water off the top of the tank , its for gas exchange , your surface tension is prob too high ( oils ect ) gas exchange is one of the most important things. I would get a hob overflow and throw it into a 10 or 20 g tank for a sump with an airgap so its helps keep your PH steady, this should help alot in that size tank.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I learned puffers are not safe for reef tanks by watching tv.

21A296CA-319B-4EBF-B1F8-02886F4F0D8B.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but because my water is about 3000 tds my rodi only knocks it down to about 25 tds
You can get it down to 0 possibly, but you would have to go with a 6 or 7 stage RO/DI system, like what BRS sells.

Last edited:

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait,.. time out. if i have Dinos its because my tank is "too clean" ?? i need to feed more and add more bacteria to compete?
One thing you don't want to do is chase numbers, the more changes you do to your tank, the more possibilities things can go wrong. Lets start by doing one thing at a time and not get ahead of ourselves. You can and will get thru this.

Last edited:

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 20g AIO tank for about a year, 1x shrimp 2x clown fish and a few easy to keep coral. the tank did okay i decided to upgrade to a 75 gallon... ive had nothing but issues. I let the tank fully cycle added fine fiji pink sand ( prob wont go fine sand again) and the rocks/fish from my 20g everything was fine. I then later on added a midas blenny... he passed, no idea what the issue was big eater very active just woke up and he was dead. After a while i then purchased a yellow clown goby he also did well... then my gf suprised me and purchased 1 porcupine puffer and a desjardini tang. Everything was doing well for up to 2 months, then had those 2 big monster fish for all the 3rd month. Got a huge diatom bloom, continued to do 20% water changes and my fish are now dying off... And my corals are closed up.

i have x2 sunsun 840 ish gph powerheads
1x hydor 240 gph powerhead
x2 HOB 350 penguin filters.
Protein skimmer
eheim 300w heater.
And an ATO system.

Parameters are
Temperature 78
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0
nitrates are less then 5 ppm
PH is 8.2-8.4
Phosphates .2 ppm or less.

please help... i love the hobbie and wish i could just be success full at it...really dont know whats going on.
I am sorry to say, but as others have already said, the D. Sailfin tang will get to big for a 75 gal tank quickly. I am not sure on the puffer, but if sounds like, as others have said, it will get to big as well. The pictures of the water, after the change look cloudy which makes me believe, as you have stated that you have a diatom bloom. I would aim a powerhead towards the top and allow the water to be turbulent to help with gas exchange and help oxygenate the water.

Like I said before, you can and will get thru this.

#reefsquad, any other suggestions?

Last edited:
OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect that your tank is suffocating with that bioload and only HOBs , there is a reason we take the water off the top of the tank , its for gas exchange , your surface tension is prob too high ( oils ect ) gas exchange is one of the most important things. I would get a hob overflow and throw it into a 10 or 20 g tank for a sump with an airgap so its helps keep your PH steady, this should help alot in that size tank.
The 2 hobs and 3 powerheads wouldn't be enough surface agitation with the protein skimmer to break up the gas ?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back