About to join the hobby!

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! New member here and excited to get started. I always loved the saltwater section of my local pet store growing up and admiring all the cool types of fish and corals but never had a tank. Recently my wife and I bought a 10 gallon freshwater tank for the kids on a whim and it got me excited to try a bigger tank for myself. I ran out and grabbed a 55 gallon on craigslist and planned to do that up before trying saltwater, but everytime I looked for freshwater fish I found myself pulled back to saltwater, so figure I'll just jump into the deep end rather than throw away resources on the bigger freshwater! Recently found a 75 gallon tank and 20ish gallon sump for sale from a local that's getting out of the hobby so am excited to pick that up in a few weeks after he's managed to rehome his fish and coral and can take it down.

It's an expensive looking hobby so I'll probably just get that tank set up with rock/sand/and an empty sump with return pump only to get things started and let the rock start cycling and slowly save up for some livestock/all the other parts I need. Watched a BRS video on negative space aquascaping and sort of planning to do that but we'll see how cost prohibitive that is. :) Expecting to spend at least the next year with just fish as I learn to care for them and the water before I even look at corals and the extra care they require, though ultimately want to have a nice mixed tank.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I'm a relative newcomer as well (started my first tank only in August, but I've been researching/lurking for years haha). Plenty of questions and answers here on the forum and tons of helpful folk in the community! Budget builds are an awesome way to go XD

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back