Acan Coral Help

BassSoLow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I bought an Acan frag earlier today and at the time didn’t notice that it looks like a part of it has been stung by another coral possibly. The color is just solid white. The other pets of the coral are beautiful and I would like to know if there is anything I should do, or if there is a product on the market to nurse it to health. I really want to make this one work out! I remember hearing a while back there were some products you can buy to aid in the health of the coral in these situations, but I cannot recall the names. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
BassSoLow

BassSoLow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a photo!
37C1AAB2-2A30-4937-B245-ADE769889E5E.jpeg

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it may be a fresh cut and glue ...maybe even have been under too much or too long of light...
Maybe just let it climatize to your tank on the bottom for a week and see if it does better.

Also, others maybe able to see something I might be missing.

OP
OP
BassSoLow

BassSoLow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it may be a fresh cut and glue ...maybe even have been under too much or too long of light...
Maybe just let it climatize to your tank on the bottom for a week and see if it does better.

Also, others maybe able to see something I might be missing.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the photograph it appears that the top polyp is gone and the second one has started to recede. Did you dip the coral prior to putting it in your tank? I always did my acans in Revive and have used it for years with pretty good results. You might want to make sure that the new acan is placed in a low, shadowy place to acclimate to your tank. At a minimum I would dip in Lugol's solution (iodine) to help it heal. HTH

OP
OP
BassSoLow

BassSoLow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the photograph it appears that the top polyp is gone and the second one has started to recede. Did you dip the coral prior to putting it in your tank? I always did my acans in Revive and have used it for years with pretty good results. You might want to make sure that the new acan is placed in a low, shadowy place to acclimate to your tank. At a minimum I would dip in Lugol's solution (iodine) to help it heal. HTH

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
BassSoLow

BassSoLow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did not dip them, but I can certainly do that once I get the solution. Thanks!

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not promoting the purchase from any one place, just posting a link so you see the suggested item: It may take several applications - please follow the instructions on whatever solution you purchase to help your acan heal. Lugol's https://www.marinedepot.com/Brightwell_Aquatics_Lugol_s_Solution_Advanced_Iodine_for_Reef_Aquaria_30ml_1oz_Iodine_Iodide_Additives_Supplements-Brightwell_Aquatics-BW01034-FIADII-vi.html?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=BW01034&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx-aC38bD3wIVgjppCh20mwNOEAQYAyABEgIf8_D_BwE

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back