Acan lighting

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it works for you. IMO, it seems like it's a bacterial imbalance caused from vibrant or excess nutrients. Adding chemicals to compete with other chemicals isn't my thing but I understand what works for one doesn't work for another. If the cyano comes back try looking into Dr. Tim's line of bacteria supplements. Might take a while but patience is a good thing. Many ways to run a reef tank, this is just another idea.

OP
OP
dmolavi

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and everything is cleared up. Time for a water change while the offspring are entertained with their Christmas presents :)

OP
OP
dmolavi

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started using ReefRoids, checking Ca and nitrates every day (others are spot checked), logging everything, and dosing as appropriate. Fingers crossed...

OP
OP
dmolavi

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look to be dropping Ca at about 10ppm/day, so I'm dosing appropriately. Need to get another nitrate test kit (ran out of reagent...grr) to continue that.

I have noticed a small cluster of bubble algae - the reason I started Vibrant in the first place. What's the best way to keep that stuff under control?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal of bubble algae outside of our tank worked best. If your calcium is dropping then make sure you keep an eye on your alkalinity

OP
OP
dmolavi

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are today's full suite of numbers, keeping in mind that I did 2 back-to-back ChemiClean treatments (did a 25% change yesterday afternoon):
pH - 8.1
NO3 - 2.5
PO4 - 0.13
Alk - 9.74
Mg - 1215
Ca - 405

The calcium and magnesium numbers are low, so I dosed some Ca first, and will take both measurements again in a couple hours, then adjust Mg as needed.

I've stopped running Phosguard and Vibrant - my reactor only has RoX 0.8 carbon in it.

Corals all seem happy so far...

OP
OP
dmolavi

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I should mention, that due to space constraints, I don't have a fuge in my sump, just the skimmer section and return section (it's a 15 gallon that I've divided w/ acrylic panels).

Will/should I consider adding an algae reactor to the setup to help keep the nutrients from creeping too high?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back