Acan tissue damage

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I’m fairly new two reef keeping but I’ve had fish tanks my whole life. I recently had a lobo tip over onto an acan overnight. When I noticed it I fixed and and moved the acan away but one and a half of the heads were gone. I still have two full healthy heads and it was my understanding that they should recover and grow back. I was just wondering if that was correct, and if I do an iodine dip will that help? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you :)
908240CF-6C3B-4351-AC24-36CE175D2CF0.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I’m fairly new two reef keeping but I’ve had fish tanks my whole life. I recently had a lobo tip over onto an acan overnight. When I noticed it I fixed and and moved the acan away but one and a half of the heads were gone. I still have two full healthy heads and it was my understanding that they should recover and grow back. I was just wondering if that was correct, and if I do an iodine dip will that help? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you :)
908240CF-6C3B-4351-AC24-36CE175D2CF0.jpeg

If it was healthy before, it should recover in time. Wouldn't dip it. Stressed enough.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding amino's to your Acan ? They benefit greatly from fatty meaty foods and amino's. I went from feeding all my Acan's once a week to 2-3 times a week spot feeding each colony and they exploded in growth and color.

Ed Chan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you spot feeding your Acans Steven? I love acans and everyone says that they're pretty easy to care for, but I've had pretty bad luck fine tuning when and what to feed them. I have them placed near the bottom of the tank and all parameters are good, but the fleshy parts don't seem to plump up.

Are you feeding amino's to your Acan ? They benefit greatly from fatty meaty foods and amino's. I went from feeding all my Acan's once a week to 2-3 times a week spot feeding each colony and they exploded in growth and color.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting are you running ? I would try putting them in almost direct shade to see how they respond. It could help,possibly increase the flow or put them in a more flow abundant area. They are VERY EASY to care for,but can be a pain. I learned rainbow Acan's (at least from my experience) perfer lower light. I had my frags in about 90-120 par with a led/t5 fixture.

But to answer your question,I was feeding once a week ,but then switched to 2-3 times a week of LPS Max,ReefRoids,3 drops each of Red Sea Amino's 1 & 2 ( or A & B I can't remember the exact name),2-3 drops of Polyp Booster all mixed together in a shot glass and spot feed each polyp or colony . I saw almost a immediate response to the increase of feedings.

Within a week I saw fuller polyps,color increase and reds started to turn rainbow and then an explosion of growth. I know it all seems crazy,but they highly benefit from heavy gut loaded feedings.

Ed Chan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up Steven. I'm running Ocean Revive t247 LEDs. With the placement I have, PAR is on par (hehe) with what you have.

I heard about making a slurry of food and supplements. I might give it a go!

Thanks!

What lighting are you running ? I would try putting them in almost direct shade to see how they respond. It could help,possibly increase the flow or put them in a more flow abundant area. They are VERY EASY to care for,but can be a pain. I learned rainbow Acan's (at least from my experience) perfer lower light. I had my frags in about 90-120 par with a led/t5 fixture.

But to answer your question,I was feeding once a week ,but then switched to 2-3 times a week of LPS Max,ReefRoids,3 drops each of Red Sea Amino's 1 & 2 ( or A & B I can't remember the exact name),2-3 drops of Polyp Booster all mixed together in a shot glass and spot feed each polyp or colony . I saw almost a immediate response to the increase of feedings.

Within a week I saw fuller polyps,color increase and reds started to turn rainbow and then an explosion of growth. I know it all seems crazy,but they highly benefit from heavy gut loaded feedings.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at the moment I don't have a tank,well I do its just not wet lol. A good mixture of fatty,meaty foods will definitely be appreciated by them for sure.

OP
OP
S

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started to feed to feed LRS reef frenzy 1-2 times a week. I was feeding reef roids but I believe that raised my phosphate level too much and is causing my candy cane corals to slowly die. The scans are doing better though and showing signs of regrowth. I’ll attach a picture tomorrow when the lights are back on

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back