Accidental Manganese Overdose

Jess Wilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my first trition oes icp test for my 30 gallon quarantine tank. I just made a huge mistake and put in 23ml of manganese instead of magnesium. The correct dose should have been 1.14 for 2 days. The oes icp test showed a value of 0 for manganese. But imho doesnt really help since oes test are not as accurate for these trace elements as a ms icp test would be. Is this at toxic levels? What should I do?

OP
OP
Jess Wilson

Jess Wilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt be worried at all. If there will be a significant Mn overdosing, ICP-OES might detect it. I would recommend to monitor the tank and in the worst case do a larger WC.
Thanks for the response I appreciate it! Thats what I ended up doing , was a very large water change. Lesson learned don't do chemistry past your bedtime when you have a fever! I just didn't think nothing of it in the moment because I've been manually dosing separate elements daily for a long time on my 500 gallon system. 21mg of manganese is nothing on that system.

TheBiochemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response I appreciate it! Thats what I ended up doing , was a very large water change. Lesson learned don't do chemistry past your bedtime when you have a fever! I just didn't think nothing of it in the moment because I've been manually dosing separate elements daily for a long time on my 500 gallon system. 21mg of manganese is nothing on that system.
I think we have all been there. I have done similar mistakes with vanadium and iron. Nothing serious happened. Manual dosing always brings this kind of risks.:)

OP
OP
Jess Wilson

Jess Wilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we have all been there. I have done similar mistakes with vanadium and iron. Nothing serious happened. Manual dosing always brings this kind of risks.:)
Hobby in general brings this kind of risks! once again thank you!
Manganese is rapidly depleted in most reef tanks. I wouldn't worry about it unless the tank is apparently suffering.
Thanks for the response Randy!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back