Accidentally Dropped Fish Store Bag in Tank

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a fish today and while trying to acclimate, I dropped the entire bag in my display. The water in the bag from the store mixed with my display.

I don't know what the store uses in the fish system. What should I do?

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call them see if use copper in their main system.

If they do or they are closed, run some carbon, ployfilter or cuprisorb.

If have some water made up do a water change.
+1 for carbon or polyfilter as soon as possible.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is your DT and how much water is it that you dropped in.

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s anything like the lfs in the uk then a lot of shops will use a small amount of copper in their systems. Unfortunately what is done is done and you can only take steps to deal with it. polyfilter or carbon will take care of any small amount of copper. I would do a water change too though to help dilute anything bad and keep an eye on everything. Run some tests and see what your levels are. Have you spoken to the shop?

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s anything like the lfs in the uk then a lot of shops will use a small amount of copper in their systems. Unfortunately what is done is done and you can only take steps to deal with it. polyfilter or carbon will take care of any small amount of copper. I would do a water change too though to help dilute anything bad and keep an eye on everything. Run some tests and see what your levels are. Have you spoken to the shop?

It’s Sunday evening so I haven’t heard back yet from the store.

How big of a wc should I do? My tank is 45g.

Also what should I be looking for to see if there are ill effects and how long should I expect to see bad effects - immediately, few hours, days?

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably won't see any effects on any fish but your corals may start sulking and not looking great. Hopefully you are dealing with nothing worse than a few nitrates.

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably won't see any effects on any fish but your corals may start sulking and not looking great. Hopefully you are dealing with nothing worse than a few nitrates.
Can you explain how nitrate has to do with copper?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just 2 cups into 45 gallons? what small amount of copper would very diluted . Do a water change I think you will be just fine .

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain how nitrate has to do with copper?
Nothing at all to do with copper mate, it's just a lot of lfs water can be fairly high in nitrates due to the amount of fish in their systems. I sometimes test the water from my lfs when I buy a fish and find elevated nitrates. It wont cause any problems though and I just mentioned it because you may see it if you run tests. As above a 10-20% water change to dilute anything down will hopefully give you peace of mind.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just 2 cups into 45 gallons? what small amount of copper would very diluted . Do a water change I think you will be just fine .
thats my thoughts. Nitrates I would not worry about but its the copper. But in that much water volume and running carbon I doubt it will be a big deal.

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats my thoughts. Nitrates I would not worry about but its the copper. But in that much water volume and running carbon I doubt it will be a big deal.
Good to hear. Probably more than 2 cups judging by the size of the bag but it was a bag for a single royal gramma only. Anyways, I am doing a 20% wc, added carbon and will keep an eye on the corals. If there indeed is a problem, how long would it be before I see signs? Would just like to know when I can sleep easy lol

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are doing everything you can mate and if it were me I would sleep easy. What corals do you have in the tank? Inverts? If you are running copper and have done a water change I would be very surprised if you looked in the tank tomorrow and everything wasn't normal.:)

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they were running copper at the LFS you’ll be fine. The levels in your tank will be undetectable. Running carbon would be a good idea if you have some but you’re not going to see any negative effect regardless. I’d be much more worried about the fish introducing a pathogen

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they were running copper at the LFS you’ll be fine. The levels in your tank will be undetectable. Running carbon would be a good idea if you have some but you’re not going to see any negative effect regardless. I’d be much more worried about the fish introducing a pathogen
Running carbon and finished the 20% wc. Things look okay but going to pick up polyfilter to be safe. I'm just wondering after how long I can be sure copper will not be a problem ever.

Also luckily not worried about pathogens. The store owner does things the right way and I've never had a problem with them. I travel hours just to get stuff from them just cause it's so clean

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back