Accidentally pour vinegar into a tank

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my ATO was not working so I had a vinegar jug of rodi sitting around next to my newly cycled tank and I was topping it off manually.

Today I was killing aptasia with vinegar in my other tank and I accidentally poured about a cup of vinegar into the new tank thinking it was rodi.

My tank currently has two corals in with no fish. Tank was tested recently with zero nitrate and about .06 phosphate and I had been dosing nitrate and reef energy amnio

Now, what should I do beside a water change?

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 93g total volume. I know maybe 1/4 of a cup would actually benefit for the tank, but I am pretty sure I pour at least a cup or two in there.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big water change and a UV sterlizer if possible. My concern is a big bacterial bloom that could suffocate your fish.

You should also not dose vinegar if you have 0 nitrates.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt, water changes! It's not a chemical, so dunno if carbon would help, but it wouldn't hurt. Just be careful with how much water you pull out today

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish would probably be happy with the water changes..it's his coral I worry about if he strips the water too much.

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on 93 gallon it is okay a cap of vinegar I even would not worried

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently acclimating and putting in the other tank. Now the question is if I do just a 20% water change, will the vinegar evaporate and somehow went away magically? I don’t know, I am just tired. Had to wake up early for work. Dang it.

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, let us say you poured 2 caps. It is more than you need but you have 93 gallons! So you turn your skimmer on and with no worries go sleep. You wake up tomorrow and find slight color change in your corals but nothing really bad.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do anything. Carbon dosing isn’t going to do anything even in that volume without enough nitrates or some other fuel to work with.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, let us say you poured 2 caps. It is more than you need but you have 93 gallons! So you turn your skimmer on and with no worries go sleep. You wake up tomorrow and find slight color change in your corals but nothing really bad.
So you’re saying almost two cups of vinegar in a newly cycled tank with two lps corals should be fine?

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do anything. Carbon dosing isn’t going to do anything even in that volume without enough nitrates or some other fuel to work with.
The problem is that is a newly cycled tank and it was tested last week barely has any nitrate by salifer

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back