Acclimating acropora to higher alkalinity (coral pro)

The JLP Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

sorry if this has been asked before I didn’t have too much luck with search.

I’m just wondering what people who run coral pro salt and have high alkalinities (~12) do when acclimating new acropora around dKH (8-9).

im going to be phasing tropic Marin salt to drop the dKH over time but for the moment it’s a coral pro salt tank.

Is my best bet just to drip acclimate slowly? I have an extra ink it’s so I was thinking of having a bucket at temperature and slowly drip acclimate into that then place the corals on a rack near bottom of tank. My whole tank’s light (radion XR15’s will be on an acclimate setting anyway)

thanks in advance!!!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drip acclimate until the temperature is the same (or I float for a little afterwards). I have kept my one acro (a milli) at 11 without an issue, but I also don't run ULNS which is what seems to combine poorly with high alk

OP
OP
The JLP Experience

The JLP Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drip acclimate until the temperature is the same (or I float for a little afterwards). I have kept my one acro (a milli) at 11 without an issue, but I also don't run ULNS which is what seems to combine poorly with high alk
Thanks for taking time to reply!

I am planning to do a slow drip acclimate w a thermostat-controlled bucket vs 10g tank on the side for the time being.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above, slow slow slow, if your tank is at redsea coral pro levels 10-11dkh make sure to keep PO4 around or above .09 / 30ppb and NO3 above 10ppm

OP
OP
The JLP Experience

The JLP Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above, slow slow slow, if your tank is at redsea coral pro levels 10-11dkh make sure to keep PO4 around or above .09 / 30ppb and NO3 above 10ppm

perfect thanks for giving me something to target as well
I should also mention the coral came from a tank somewhere between 7-9KH (I can't remember exactly

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower PAR / less than 350. would be advised during the first few weeks as well.

With an alk above 9.5-10 most genus of other SPS (montis, poccilopora, sertiopora etc etc) will be aye okay, but acropora will be very susceptible to getting burnt tips/alk burn if N/P is too low or light intensity is too high.

OP
OP
The JLP Experience

The JLP Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news - I came home to the new salt mix at front door. So I can do a large water change before dropping them in tank to get a good head start on bringing the alk down (slowly once coral are in)

TastyScrants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, why do you recommend those levels of PO4 and NO3 against higher alkalinity? Is this purely to assist with the faster growth rate?

im just asking as redsea recommend lower levels of PO4 and NO3 with the coral pro salt; but they do also recommend feeding reef energy.

Thanks

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, why do you recommend those levels of PO4 and NO3 against higher alkalinity? Is this purely to assist with the faster growth rate?

im just asking as redsea recommend lower levels of PO4 and NO3 with the coral pro salt; but they do also recommend feeding reef energy.

Thanks
higher nutrient levels help prevent alk
burn/ burnt tips in Acropora in higher carbonate hardness levels

Which is why ULNS methods like Zeovit recommend keeping alk around 6.7- 7.0 dkh

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back