Acclimating urchin

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might get another tuxedo urchin and I want to acclimate it right so it survives. Anybody want to tell me how you do it?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ideally drip acclimating over an hour is ideal for something sensitive like an urchin. However have to be careful temp does not drop too much in acclimating container.

However what i do with snails/urchins/etc is empty into tupperware with transport water and then add about about a cup of tank water every 5 to 10 min for about 45 minutes and never have an issue.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ideally drip acclimating over an hour is ideal for something sensitive like an urchin. However have to be careful temp does not drop too much in acclimating container.

However what i do with snails/urchins/etc is empty into tupperware with transport water and then add about about a cup of tank water every 5 to 10 min for about 45 minutes and never have an issue.
How do you take an urchin out of a bag, the way you do it? Just dump it or take it by hand and place it?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take one of the Store Plastic Soup containers with me to the LFS. I have them put the Urchin in that, rather than a plastic bag. I bent a piece of Lee’s 1/4” tubing in a “U” I use that as my drip, the Soup container is forced down under the glass top. I let the Urchin freely crawl out after the drip acclamation. BTW, I’ve never had any success, with mail order Urchins.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s never placed in a plastic bag, just the plastic container. Also I repeatedly remove a bit of water from the container and discard it. I also let the LFS Mark the price on the container, as I’ve had some balking over that.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the pH is what kills them. Too low or a sudden shift and they are done. I had Tuxedos in a 90 gallon, and they would breed during a water change. I think it was from trace elements being restored. Back then I heavier up on the additives in the new water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back