OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an answer on the other thread- I was testing so trying to put stuff together dry- so apparently the PVC primer and glue act as a lubricant as well as actually softening the PVC so it bonds with the glue and the other piece of PVC. SI I think I was worried over nothing. However, also tested my 75 refugium baffles and one failed- leaked in the bottom corner- ARGG.....

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen rector seal in a tube, awesome. Never used it on plastic though. I always heard to use silicone or atv type. You can undo the threads if it's siliconed. I think the reason you use silicone is because if you tighten too much you stand the chance of craking the fittings.

I've used this exact stuff for my threaded PVC pipe connections. Held up for over a year with no problems. Only tip is don't over apply it. Gets really messy.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an answer on the other thread- I was testing so trying to put stuff together dry- so apparently the PVC primer and glue act as a lubricant as well as actually softening the PVC so it bonds with the glue and the other piece of PVC. SI I think I was worried over nothing. However, also tested my 75 refugium baffles and one failed- leaked in the bottom corner- ARGG.....
It's hard to get pvc to go together dry ( which I did not know at the time you were doing ) and it's harder to get it to get undone if you do get it together dry. At least it's just a baffle that's leaking and not some thing worse. I hope the leak is easy to get to.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of coarse the leak is in the bitoom corner. Will have to figure outhow to stop the leak. Have head u cant just overlap more silicone.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOl- that is what I get for posting using my phone. That should have read the leak is in the bottom corner.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOl- that is what I get for posting using my phone. That should have read the leak is in the bottom corner.
Yea, it's never good to over lap silicone. Maybe you can get some kinda scraper with a razor type blade or a exacto knife to widdle it out.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha... so busy with new build i realized i had not checked my alk in a while..... sure enough - very low at 110 meq. I was wondering why my ph was 7.85. I cant wait to get everything working on auto pilot with the new setup.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After thinking about it, i realized that the baffles in the 75 refugium do not have to be watertight. If anybody can think of a reason why they do, let me know. They r really just a bubble trap and a way to keep stuff from getting from the refugium to the pump. So, a pinhole leak won't make any difference. Tested sump,fuge, and pump in driveway today.

IMG_20160828_163754639.jpg

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only issue was the bulkhead between the 75 fuge and the pump leaked. Arggggg..... !! Not a big deal as the 75 fuge was purchased used and their setup used more plumbing and if u look at the picture, there is a second bulkhead above the one i was using, so all I had to do was switch them.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a few days ago - I was starting to install the new pump and when hand tightening the threaded adapter the volute cracked !! What !! Called Feeflo and they took care of it.

The new Volute for the barracuda pump arrived yesterday and is installed - thanks to Chris at Reeflo. Also Custom Acrylics has completed my tank overflows - WOOO HOOO !!!

SO this weekend will be "BIG" - complete all sump/fuge install so gluing and use thread sealant, etc. Mix water in system and if all is well . Add sand to fuge. Install skimmer in sump. Add some live rock from other systems. Let run system for 24 hours. Add a fish and some macro algae.

Install overflow system on new tank and test.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone that is following this build thread knows - please post .

I am using some true unions valves before/and after my Reefflo pump ( see pic above) - do I use thread sealant on the actual threads that connect/hold the pieces of the true union together or not. I am not talking about connecting the PVC to the true union ends, but the threads within the True union itself. I have tested the true unions that I have and they don't seem to leak - but I figured they might at some time or because the leak may be soo small it will actually create a siphon and pull air into the system - like a venturi. Opinions?

Regg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting on a custom SCA tank ad well, 48*30*24, ill be using exocticmarine overflow, how do you like the tank

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone that is following this build thread knows - please post .

I am using some true unions valves before/and after my Reefflo pump ( see pic above) - do I use thread sealant on the actual threads that connect/hold the pieces of the true union together or not. I am not talking about connecting the PVC to the true union ends, but the threads within the True union itself. I have tested the true unions that I have and they don't seem to leak - but I figured they might at some time or because the leak may be soo small it will actually create a siphon and pull air into the system - like a venturi. Opinions?

No, do not put thread sealant on the threads that connect the union together. There is a rubber washer that keeps the water from leaking out. After taking it apart for maintenance or whatever make sure the washer is dry and tighten until snug

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Hybrid - The threads are just soo sticky i am afraid I wont be able to get it open to do maintenance on the pump.

Regg- cant say for sure yet, but it sure looks great. Hopefully with be filling it with freshwater with the the overflows installed this weekend- will take a pic and post that.

Regg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool deal looling forward to seeing it ordered mine two weels ago so i still have a little time to receive mine im curing my rock while i wait

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Hybrid - The threads are just soo sticky i am afraid I wont be able to get it open to do maintenance on the pump.

Regg- cant say for sure yet, but it sure looks great. Hopefully with be filling it with freshwater with the the overflows installed this weekend- will take a pic and post that.

Use a pair of pliers on them if they are stuck

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be some pair of pliers- check the pic out- using 2 inch true union valves. So , the threads are about 6 inches circumference. Maybe a plastic wrench that we use to get our Rodi or media filters loose.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back