Achilles Tang

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey good news!! I found a store that sells exotic fish and he has 2 Achilles in stock right now. Both 3-4 inches, eating good and he has had them a while. The best thing is that he is about 70 miles from me so I am driving to pick one up tomorrow! YEA!!!!! :D

I'll post some pics as soon as I can. Oh also it's $99 and no tax no shipping. :D

I'll post a link to the store when I get mine because I don't want anybody snatching it out from under me. LOL!

familyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats

Good job REV! Mine showed a little ich last night but the cleaner wras got em last night and all clean today

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
COOL!

I am thinking of removing some rock to make more room for the tang tonight and cranking up my tunze even higher for better flow for the fish.

familyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wras

Heres a pic of the African cleaner wras I picked up to helpn the acclimation of the new tangs
150.jpg

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome wrasse, maybe he will eat frozen food for you

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same cleaner wrasse. He is a PIG eats anything i put in the tank. He Favorite food is frozen vitamen enriched blood worms. I agree, they are awesome fish. He saved my orange shoulder tang from ich when i first got him. My blenny also had half his face torn off and every day the cleaner wrasse would pick the dead flesh off and keep the wound clean. The fish made a 100% recovery after 4 weeks.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I got my tang today. :D

I got him in the tank and he is very scared of me. All the stress he went through today and never showed one sign of ick. He is swimming on one side of the tank now and when I go to that side he goes to the other side. He's very scared right now.

He seems to be very healthy though. We'll see if I can get him eating in my tank tomorrow.

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get him a cleaner goby aka Blue Neon Goby. They clean like cleaner wrasses and they actually live longer than 4 weeks. I have 2 in my tank and they go to work on all my tangs whenever they need it.

Teeka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow lucky me. I just got back from my lfs, they had a Achilles Tang. The lucky part was he was only 44.99. So I couldn't resist him for my zoo and paly tank.

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my cleaner wrasse for 1.5 yrs.

I'm sure one will live every once in a while but the fact of the matter is that a high percentage of them die. In the wild they only eat parasites off of other fish and in a home aquarium they will die unless you can provide them with fish to eat off of all the time..... or you get them to eat other foods which is a hard thing to do.

Again I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I'm sure the percentage is higher than 80% that the cleaner wrasse won't live.

Cleaner Wrasse - [SIZE=-1]Labroides dimidiatus[/SIZE]
Cleaner Wrasse are imported because of their specialized cleaning services. In the wild they perform the invaluable service of cleaning parasites off of other fish and people want to see this symbiotic relationship in their tanks. However the impact that collecting cleaner wrasse from the reef is great. The fish that rely on their services are more vulnerable to the parasites and disease quickly spreads among reef populations.
To make matters worse, cleaner wrasse have one of the poorest survival records in captivity so not only does their capture leave the reef more vulnerable, they are captured only to die needlessly soon afterwards. They are obligate feeders, meaning they can only survive if they have a sustainable amount of parasites to feed off of. Although people claim to have kept them alive more then a few weeks and adapt to eating prepared meals, these cases are very rare and the number of cleaner wrasse that perish because of the false hope people have reading these cases generally goes unreported.

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure one will live every once in a while but the fact of the matter is that a high percentage of them die. In the wild they only eat parasites off of other fish and in a home aquarium they will die unless you can provide them with fish to eat off of all the time..... or you get them to eat other foods which is a hard thing to do.

Again I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I'm sure the percentage is higher than 80% that the cleaner wrasse won't live.

I read that on reef central, i just dont agree with all of it. Especially leaving the reef more vulnerable. I do agree however they arent a beginner fish. I wasn't toally aware people have a high death rate with them. I've only bought two and they have grown tremendously. I recently gave one back to the LFS as i felt he was too big for my tank. That's ashame they have a high death rate, i think they are fantastic fish and wouldnt have a tank without one.

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't agree with the reef vulnerability either. I just think that Neon Gobys are just as good at cleaning and you won't take the chance of wasting money. My local LFS won't even sell them. He has them in his tanks to clean the fish that are for sale. He gets them every couple of weeks as soon as the last one dies. He's had a couple live for a up to a few months but still doesn't sell them. If you ask for one he'll recomend a neon goby.

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just after posting about the sucess i've had with my cleaner wrasse, i found him dead on the carpet this morning along with my exquisite fairy. Sad day for the fish tank.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree totally with Napoli, cleaner wrasses should be left on the reef;

i would bet that their six month survivability is less than 5%

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just after posting about the sucess i've had with my cleaner wrasse, i found him dead on the carpet this morning along with my exquisite fairy. Sad day for the fish tank.

Sucks to hear. I feel like I jinxed it. You should go get a couple tank raised neon gobys though. They're pretty cool and don't poop too much. At least he didn't die of health issues and he died of jumping. In the last year I've had a Labouti Wrasse and a Sargassum Trigger jump. No more fish for me for a while.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 47 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 34 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back